Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 4th March 2017, 8:56 AM   #1
crimsonmind Thread Starter

Default Are Headphone Amplifiers worth it

I have been looking at headphone amps and wondering if they are worth the money?

Do the tube amp versions provide better quality sound over the non-tube amp versions, like with regular Amps?

Does the price range make a difference?

Recommendations?

Cheers guys
S
crimsonmind is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 4th March 2017, 9:06 AM   #2
Bold Eagle

Depends on your music collection.

If you only have MP3 there is little to no point in the amp as it will only boost a crap 'limited depth' sound.

If you have FLACS most definitely but you need to consider a DAC and AMP.

There are some dedicated threads for this sort of topic and discussion:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...01514&page=392

Tube amps will provide a 'warmer' sound but it again comes down to what your listening to and the file quality.

Pricing can be subjective and you need to review units at dedicated websites/forums like headfi.org,
http://www.head-fi.org/products/

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 4th March 2017 at 9:09 AM.
Bold Eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 9:48 AM   #3
Linkin

It all comes down to the quality of your source (music/games) and what equipment you have. If your collection is lossless or you want the better sound in games, it's worth getting quality equipment.

Headphones drivers with higher resistance need a stronger amp to get them loud. Some say higher resistance drivers also tend to filter out some noise. I have a 250ohm set of beyerdynamic dt880's, driven using the built in headphone amp my STX 2 sound card, it's more than enough. But if I had the 600ohm version of the dt880's I might be pushing it to get enough volume out of the card's amp, in which case an external one would be beneficial.
Grouting of tyres,
The tennis ball is yellow,
Tooheys Extra Dry.
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 9:50 AM   #4
dakiller
(Oscillating & Impeding)

Depends on what headphones you have mostly. It is the 500+ headphones that usually do better with an amp

Tube amps are subjective, they usually only slap in tubes in them for a bit of wank factor for the most part, they have solid state stuff in there that still does most of the work. A good amp is a good amp, tube or not.

Good mp3's will still be a good source, you don't have to be all lossless to be high end, but if you have the choice, go lossless when you can.
dakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 9:53 AM   #5
Matthew kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonmind View Post
I have been looking at headphone amps and wondering if they are worth the money?

Do the tube amp versions provide better quality sound over the non-tube amp versions, like with regular Amps?

Recommendations?

Cheers guys
S
An amplifier by concept, a product and design is to provide gain to whatever transducers you're powering, it is simply to amplify the frequency to the listener.

The question you need ask yourself is why do you want to buy an amplifier for your headphones?

Without complicating circuit design/layout topology's there are 3 types of amplifiers based off its design. Pure valve driven, pure solid state using silicon devices or a hybrid approach/design which generally utilises a solid state output stage with a valve input/preamp/inter-stage.

There is no such thing as "tube amplifiers sound better than solid states" because they are two completely different things based off its design parameters (for the most part without going into complicated one-offs).

How a tube/solid state or hybrid designed amplifier sounds massively depends on how it is designed by the engineer/manufacturer, the load (speaker or headphones) the amplifier it is driving and front end components in your setup (source/DAC, preamp's if used, cables [capacitance, inductance, cable length/material] etc...)

If we are talking about brand new stuff, cheap off the shelf valve amplifiers (excluding DIY), (ones that cost a few hundred bucks) generally have lots of omissions (short-cuts) in its circuit design and/or use generic or cheap parts. They will also in most cases utilise cheaply or poorly wounded output/power transformers and chokes, most of which are undersized for the job in the design.

This concept also applies to solid states and hybrid amplifiers, usage of cheap parts is generally the case.

As you head towards the near $1000 and above price bracket, amplifiers of any design tend to have quality parts or better transformers used. Not always the case keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post

Tube amps will provide a 'warmer' sound but it again comes down to what your listening to and the file quality.
Common misconception to think that automatically tube amplifiers will provide a 'warmer' sound. It all boils down to the design, I've heard tube amplifiers that sound like solid states and solid states that sound warm and dark.

You have to understand that most valves used as output devices in audio amplifiers are generally triodes (and occasionally pentodes by itself or strapped as triodes).

Triodes are used for the most part because they are mostly linear when driven within datasheet specifications and easily demonstrated on a curve tracer. Use of triodes date back as far as the early 1930's, remember back then there was no silicon devices or integrated chips so tubes did all the work.

Not until the 60's and on-wards did we start to see silicon devices replacing what tubes once fulfilled the roles in many machinery and electrical stuff out there.

Triode tubes for the most part are more linear than most of the linear silicon device we have nowadays. But it is difficult to translate this into amplifier design without the expense of using more and better quality parts which equates to a very expensive amplifier.

The distortion people generally to perceive with tube amplifiers sounding warm is H2 and H3 harmonic distortion levels and the fact that most tube amplifiers have a missing chunk in the high end of the sound frequency, so the cutoff is early and you're left with a dominating mid range or just below the mids.

Again, it all boils down to design, if the designer/engineer wants the tube amplifier to sound 'warm' and syrupy or euphonic then that is what the amplifier will achieve. Then we have valve/tube rolling which is a whole different story on its own.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 4:09 PM   #6
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew kane View Post
interesting stuff
Good value add post .
Old 5th March 2017, 11:31 AM   #7
^catalyst

It's interesting, because the best amplifier in the world would do nothing but increase the gain of a signal; so any colouring etc would be considered a flaw not a feature.

But goddamn sound had to go and be subjective, thanks sound.

I think it comes down to the response of the headphones altering with power in a non-linear fashion. So while the amp ideally just boosts the signal the headphones response to the boosted signal isn't a uniform increase in gain across the spectrum.

You could semi-easily test for this with a controlled environment and a microphone set up. Wouldn't be very audiophile that way though
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 3:42 PM   #8
Cpt.J.Sparrow

High impedance headphones benefit from good amps. However, not all high-end headphones need dedicated amping. I have TH900, which is easy to drive and doesn't really need a separate amp in most situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^catalyst
Wouldn't be very audiophile that way though
No snakeoil? No audiophile!

Last edited by Cpt.J.Sparrow; 5th March 2017 at 3:45 PM.
Cpt.J.Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 1:20 PM   #9
crimsonmind Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks guys.

I thought I was bringing a simple answer to the table, but ended up learning more than I expected.

Seems like it is all very subjective, so I guess its a matter of suck-it-and-see what I think
crimsonmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 1:32 PM   #10
Matthew kane

It is quite subjective when you audition or listen to anything audio but keep in mind you need to also observe things from a objective perspective as well. Monitoring and verifying things such as input/output impedance, headphone sound frequency measurement (the type of sound they will produce translated onto a chart) and the power handling/requirement of the headphone itself and the power output of the amplifier itself.

There is also something called synergy, use something opposite (subjective/objective) sounding/measuring to couple it with a headphone sounding the complete opposite.

Most audiophiles will tell you that synergy is generally when you pair a warm, laid back or bassy sounding headphone with an amplifier that has a clear or neutralish to bright sound signature and good detail retrieval to cancel out dominating sound aspects of the headphone. So you get sort of get the best of both 'worlds'.

You also have to be aware that audio itself is full of snakeoil, hyped marketing, shills (reviewers given freebies/demos or paid by manufacturers/vendors to give a positive review of something potentially a piece of crap) and very subjective. When you get to high end audio its mostly just bling and snakeoil that justifies high 4 to 6 figure price tags of audio components.

Better off auditioning things before buying and educating yourself a bit about what is good and what is not. Your wallet will thank you.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter

Last edited by Matthew kane; 6th March 2017 at 1:37 PM.
Old 6th March 2017, 2:05 PM   #11
tree86ers

Quote:
Awesome, thanks guys.
Seems like it is all very subjective, so I guess its a matter of suck-it-and-see what I think

so subjective, this is mainly why so many tech youtubers tend not to do too much in this area and until you listen to it with your own music taste and setup it is hard to relay this information.

Matthew kane info is impressive and to the point. Awesome info thanks mate.
tree86ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 7:51 PM   #12
xcessive303

Matthew Kane, very good info especially for anyone starting out in hi-fi or head-fi like myself. I have learnt a lot from this thread already.
xcessive303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 8:14 PM   #13
^catalyst

The best way to enjoy head-fi is to never, ever, visit it. Ever.
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 4:07 AM   #14
schmoove

Quote:

Recommendations?

Cheers guys
S
Whoa this thread got complex quickly.
Sticking to the OPs questions:

1) some are worth the money and some aren't, throw us some models and maybe those who have heard them can say

2) no tube amps are not 'better', it is simply that different amps can and do sound different

3) yes price range can make a difference

4) no specific recommendations from me sorry, as I rarely use cans
but as an example I have a few decent amps that happen to have headphone sockets and an audinst hud-mx1 dac/head amp/pre-amp.
The audinst knocks the others out of the park, so yep these things do make a difference.

As a general recommendation get a DAC (a soundcard)/head amp combo.
I've used this shop in the past for several purchases, always fast and excellent service:
https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/

Personally I'd never get anything with tubes, they do wear out eventually and they degrade over time, so it's always a guessing game when they need changing. They look awesome though
Trades with: rage, dufflover, ummmz, kimnkk, jlien, Pianist, Boink, Tekin, orndorf, theFish, MAXKNOTT, i4560011, search, antstar, Ma Baker, Dinuc, stuii, Dollie, kr0k, Fettrix, WCE07, Beaistheman, Hardboiled, Opti ....... "Pacman is just a neo-Marxist parable of late capitalism"
"Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge on the subject is The Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkin's on theology"
schmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 11:47 AM   #15
Matthew kane

Actually tubes don't simply just degrade over time like a pair of tyre on your car unless you run them stupidly past its parameters it is designed for, you'd simply burn them out that way as they will literally just die. A tube that measures 40% on a Hickok tube tester will sound almost exactly the same as a NOS pair that measures 100% provided both have been tested for emission and shorts.

Most tubes are rated for 5000-8000 hrs of continuous usage, mill-spec or computer designed tubes are rated even higher from anywhere between 10000-25000 hrs.

Even if you have the amplifier on 24/7/365 with music playing through them you'd still get a good years worth of usage out of them before they completely wear out.

For the average listener give or take 2-3 hrs a day of listen time, that's a good fair few years of listen time.

If the tubes do actually end up measuring weak, just buy a new set and plug em in. Tubes aren't something that constantly wears out and needs changing or anything of moderate maintenance like changing car tyres, they last a long time.

Last edited by Matthew kane; 10th March 2017 at 11:53 AM.