Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 9th March 2017, 8:40 AM   #1
samus Thread Starter

Default Sandisk Extreme PRO 128GB

Morning OCAU

I had this all typed up yesterday, but alas, a software vendor forced an unexpected reboot.

This is the Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB (SDCZ88-128G)

Crappy pic sorry, The Pro is in silver on the bottom, the older one is black above.

Click to view full size!

USB info:

Click to view full size!

Anyway, I have used for ages this things little brother the Extreme USB 3.0 (SDCZ80-032G) and it's been fast and flawless, however I left in in my pants and washed it about a year ago, and it's now starting to die.

It uses the same clicky retractable design as it's little brother, so no cap to lose, and it has a really "positive" feel. Note that it's not a metal case, just silver painted plastic. Still feels solid though. You do get some bundled software, Some Sandisk secure access stuff and one year access to rescuePRO, but I ignored that. Veracrypt is better if you need it.

Anyway, I bought it for the speed, and I was not dissapointed, for refrence system used for testing is a Lenovo M93p, i5-4570 with 16G of RAM, 128G Samsung 840 Pro. Windows 7 x64. Device was plugged into the front USB 3.0 ports.

Crystal DiskMark:

Click to view full size!

USB DeView:

Click to view full size!

This is easily the fastest USB drive I've ever used. The Extreme was fast, but this is nuts. 200MB sequential? For USB? Crazy.

I also tested it in OTG mode connected to my S7 and off brand Chinese tablet, and it worked just fine.

Best part? The price. I picked this little guy up for $99 at Bing Lee of all places, so well under $1/GB.

Unfortunately the only thing i can't speak for yet is the longevity, however if the CZ80's record is anything to go by, I've used that little thing every day for 3 years, and one of those was after it went though the wash. So it seems like it should hold up just fine. It does have a "lifetime" warranty, how that works here in Australia I don't know.

Apologies for the lack of links, the Sandisk AU site sucks, with no official pages for their products.

Recommended.

As always questions/comments welcome.

M.

EDITS: Added more thoughts, more pictures, clarified a few things.

OCAU Mercedes Benz Club Member #2

Last edited by samus; 9th March 2017 at 9:43 AM.
samus is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 14th March 2017, 3:15 PM   #2
Agg
Lord of the Pings

Thanks for the review! I had a super-speedy PNY 256GB one a year or so ago which I was pretty impressed with at nearly 150MB/s. Sadly it died.. will keep an eye out for these Sandisk ones.
Old 15th March 2017, 11:10 AM   #3
samus Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg View Post
Thanks for the review! I had a super-speedy PNY 256GB one a year or so ago which I was pretty impressed with at nearly 150MB/s. Sadly it died.. will keep an eye out for these Sandisk ones.
No worries.

Ill send the link to the newsmonkeys.

OCAU Mercedes Benz Club Member #2
samus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 10:13 PM   #4
MUTMAN

Just for comparison here's some numbers from my system
win 7 (old n dirty install), i7 2600k

sandisk extreme (non pro) 64G

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

and my boot drive is a samsung 840evo (i ran the 'refresh' tool over it 6 months agoish)

Click to view full size!

samus, i wonder if your non pro model suffered more from being only 32g ?
i believe these are basically a mini ssd, controller and all. and as such the more parallel memory chips are on board the faster it is

either way, thanks for the review. I'll definitely buy another sandisk extreme if/when this one dies or isnt big enough for my needs
edit - umarts online receipt system is handy as all hell at times - 16/9/15 $69

Last edited by MUTMAN; 6th April 2017 at 10:16 PM.
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 10:44 PM   #5
terrastrife

Here's my retrospective (results from 2012 and 2016) of the older 64GB Sandisk Extreme 3.0, there's also now a 3.1 which is even faster than ours, and is in an aluminum case. The Corsair Voyager GTX is faster again still.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1063347

MUTMAN, The Extreme 3.0, Extreme Pro 3.0, and Extreme Pro 3.1 are are upgrades/replacements from each prior model.

Last edited by terrastrife; 6th April 2017 at 10:50 PM.
terrastrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 12:08 AM   #6
Renza

I have a SDCZ88-128G and it definitely has an aluminium casing. I wonder if they changed that recently?

I bought mine in 2014, have used it heaps, and still working well today. Cost me only $99 back then, too.

Last edited by Renza; 7th April 2017 at 12:12 AM.
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote