Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 9th March 2017, 1:54 PM   #1
aokman Thread Starter

Default What if I don't want the NBN... *shock horror*

So story goes that NBN is being rolled out in my area soon and they are rolling out HFC.

Basically I don't want it, I just got a new $300 Fritzbox that would become a paperweight not to mention I don't want to buy new equipment / start a new contract with TPG.

Not to sound like a prick about it but I don't want to support the NBN in any way shape or form really. I am happy with my current monthly cost and my speeds and don't want to deal with NBN congestion issues.

I just don't understand how I can be forced off my current connection which I am still contracted to then told I have to pay for new equipment, pay more per month and start a new contract?

On top of all this, the house doesn't have cable installed and apparently they won't install it in the location where my router is currently setup which is at the opposite end of the house to where the line comes in without paying additional costs.

#neverstopchasing - weatheradventures.net

Last edited by aokman; 9th March 2017 at 2:14 PM.
aokman is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 9th March 2017, 2:12 PM   #2
FatBoyNotSoSlim

Are you on ADSL2 now? Once NBN fully covers your area, you'll have about 12 or 18 months (can't recall which) until the copper is shut off, and scalped. So, when that is done, you'll have no copper for ADSL, and no internet, other than NBN.

Maybe look at 4G wireless then?
Old 9th March 2017, 2:18 PM   #3
aokman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyNotSoSlim View Post
Are you on ADSL2 now? Once NBN fully covers your area, you'll have about 12 or 18 months (can't recall which) until the copper is shut off, and scalped. So, when that is done, you'll have no copper for ADSL, and no internet, other than NBN.

Maybe look at 4G wireless then?
I am on ADSL2 currently, I don't understand how the copper can be "cut off" when they are 2 technologies that have been running side by side in our area for many years. Just sounds like a bullshit move to push you on to the NBN and pay more.

I don't see how 4G wireless is an alternative. I am happy with my current monthly cost, unlimited data and setup.

#neverstopchasing - weatheradventures.net
aokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 2:18 PM   #4
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokman View Post
So story goes that NBN is being rolled out in my area soon and they are rolling out HFC.

Basically I don't want it, I just got a new $300 Fritzbox that would become a paperweight not to mention I don't want to buy new equipment / start a new contract with TPG.

Not to sound like a prick about it but I don't want to support the NBN in any way shape or form really. I am happy with my current monthly cost and my speeds and don't want to deal with NBN congestion issues.

I just don't understand how I can be forced off my current connection which I am still contracted to then told I have to pay for new equipment, pay more per month and start a new contract?

On top of all this, the house doesn't have cable installed and apparently they won't install it in the location where my router is currently setup which is at the opposite end of the house to where the line comes in without paying additional costs.
I hear ya, but it's like when the 2G network gets swithed off and analogue tele went the way of the dodo - tough titties...
Old 9th March 2017, 2:19 PM   #5
caspian

I did have a longer reply typed up but yay laptop crash.

the bottom line is that you don't have guaranteed access to the copper that carries your service. Telstra are agreeing to cease using it where they are selling their HFC network to NBN, and the government has agreed with that approach.

in terms of your current contract with TPG, I expect you'll find that there's no obligation for them to supply you a service. if they need to terminate your contract, you'll be told, and that's the end of it. equipment is something you provided at your risk.

I don't know much about the technicalities of HFC installation, but I will surmise it has some similarity with FTTP installs, so yes there will be limits as to what you get for a standard free install. if you want something custom it be will at billable rates.

Last edited by caspian; 9th March 2017 at 3:32 PM.
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 2:39 PM   #6
BAK

Quote:
Basically I don't want it, I just got a new $300 Fritzbox that would become a paperweight
Can set whatever modem is provided by TPG into Bridge mode and let your Fritzbox do the routing etc.
Quote:
not to mention I don't want to buy new equipment / start a new contract with TPG.
TPG and most other NBN RSPs have the option to go contractless. TPG is one of the ones that requires a payment (an "install" fee, ~200) if you do go contractless, but there are several out there that just offer you month to month "plans".
Old 9th March 2017, 3:51 PM   #7
closed_gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK View Post
Can set whatever modem is provided by TPG into Bridge mode and let your Fritzbox do the routing etc.
Not with NBN. Just plug your router into the NTU if you have a WAN port on it and set your correct settings, I.e. Static IP/DHCP

I'm using a FortiWifi 60C for my NBN connection and works perfectly fine.
closed_gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 4:27 PM   #8
Renza

Quote:
Originally Posted by closed_gate View Post
Not with NBN. Just plug your router into the NTU if you have a WAN port on it and set your correct settings, I.e. Static IP/DHCP

I'm using a FortiWifi 60C for my NBN connection and works perfectly fine.
Depends what tech you are on.

FTTP - just plug your router into the NTD and away you go. May require PPPoE for some providers, other IPoE
FTTN - you'll need a modem with bridge mode if you want to use your existing router
HFC - Plug your router into the HFC modem and it should work like FTTP.
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 4:42 PM   #9
gords
Thread Killer

Quote:
pay more per month
When I moved to the NBN I ended up paying less, because I didn't have to pay $24 per month for a landline I never used. Also went from syncing at about 2mbit/s to 100mbit/s.

"The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K, Be My Escape

"God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
gords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 9:42 PM   #10
HSV_Enigma

Quote:
I am on ADSL2 currently, I don't understand how the copper can be "cut off" when they are 2 technologies that have been running side by side in our area for many years. Just sounds like a bullshit move to push you on to the NBN and pay more.

I don't see how 4G wireless is an alternative. I am happy with my current monthly cost, unlimited data and setup.
Yes it's either a conspiracy, or a logical choice that they do not want to have to pay the ongoing maintenance costs of 2 side by side technologies
HSV_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 10:07 PM   #11
Pugs

what a funny country we live in.. some people complaining they don't want better internet.. and others complaining they can't get decent internet...
Pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 10:34 PM   #12
SupremeMoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by closed_gate View Post
Is that actually possible with TPG HFC? AFAIK it's not with iiNet/Internode NBN HFC, which is not really an in-house iiNet/Internode product - it's a wholesale AAPT service, so I imagine the TPG HFC offering is the same - authentication is tied to the Huawei router they supply.
Quote:

There should be 18mths to change over, at which point just choose a different provider so you can continue using the Fritzbox?

Last edited by SupremeMoFo; 9th March 2017 at 10:36 PM.
SupremeMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 11:12 PM   #13
stevenx

I sympathise - I have no desire to pay for an NBN connection if I can avoid doing so. You're in Melbourne - look into a non-NBN fixed wireless provider, like Uniti Wireless. I don't know if they cover your area - they have a small presence in Melbourne, but they're expanding - but you'll get fast Internet without NBN.

I have a 100/100 business connection with Uniti. The NBN will reach here in late 2018 and by then we'll have had 100/100 for four years. Why change - unless the NBN drastically improve their offering?
stevenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 11:27 PM   #14
Renza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeMoFo View Post
Is that actually possible with TPG HFC? AFAIK it's not with iiNet/Internode NBN HFC, which is not really an in-house iiNet/Internode product - it's a wholesale AAPT service, so I imagine the TPG HFC offering is the same - authentication is tied to the Huawei router they supply.
Easy enough to clone the MAC address of the huawei router, then toss it in the cupboard to collect dust...
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 11:33 PM   #15
SupremeMoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenx View Post
I have a 100/100 business connection with Uniti. The NBN will reach here in late 2018 and by then we'll have had 100/100 for four years. Why change - unless the NBN drastically improve their offering?
Unlicensed band wifi connections are not the future. A 100/100 plan with Uniti... guessing that's somewhere around $300/mth minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renza View Post
Easy enough to clone the MAC address of the huawei router, then toss it in the cupboard to collect dust...
It looked like it was more concerned about the serial number of the router to me, not the MAC address.