Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th March 2017, 4:54 PM   #1
dinos22 Thread Starter
OCAU Sponsor

Default Need some feedback on our designer/creator ready boards+full length mousepad giveaway

Hello all,

I work for Gigabyte Australia in case it wasn't apparent to some of you guys and I wanted to say hi and ask for your opinions on our range of creator/designer boards we've launched recently. I wanted to know what sort of motherboards/CPUs you guys run in your PCs (assuming you use a PC) and what drives your decision to buy a board (budget, features, price, specific features, looks, etc).

Here is some info about the boards
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/...NARE-rev-10#kf

I know you guys would provide feedback whether or not I gave away something but I will give away a sweet full length Aorus mousepad to a random comment in the thread (i will just enter a random draw with number of comments in the thread and whoever pops up will get the prize, as long as you are based in Australia)

Dino

Last edited by dinos22; 30th March 2017 at 5:00 PM.
dinos22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st March 2017, 1:13 AM   #2
J.J.

I used to run Gigabyte boards, but for the last 5 or so years I've run exclusively Asus boards. I find that they are rock solid and the BIOS is easy to set up and navigate. I'm using Asus boards for my customer builds and they have been rock solid.

Of course, things might have changed again with the current revision of boards. I changed back then when I had a spate of Gigabyte boards come back from customers with little, dicky issues and a few boards even died.

I've been exclusive Intel CPUs for years and years, but at the moment I have a customer wanting a new build and I'm holding them off waiting to see what happens with the Ryzen CPUs.

What do I want...? For me personally: Rock solid boards. I want a lower price. I want speed. I want a reasonable amount of features for the money I'm spending. I want performance that will last me.

For customers...? Has to be no issues. I need stability and boards/hardware that isn't shitty and dies. Price is a major factor. Need to try to keep my prices low for my customers.

All in, I can say that while flashy lights and shit are cool, I didn't give a shit that my new 1080 graphics card had three modes of flashing lights. It goes in the case and the side goes on and I only care that my games are smooth as molten butter. Zero percent of my customers care that their motherboard had strobing lights.

Quick story to answer your question more:

When I was building my last build, and spent big dollars to go all out and get a build that would last much longer than normal, I had the choice between a good standard build board and a gaming board. They both had near identical specs and the gaming board was priced $Aus200 or so more. What did that $200 buy me...? Not a lot. It simply wasn't worth more. It cost more because.,,gaming! Overclocking was a much of a muchness. Component quality were about the same. Thermal regulation... same. Voltage speccy shit... muchly the same. The gaming board looked more aggressive and had different heat dissipation over other componants... but spec wise... pretty much the same. The extra money I saved over the board choice allowed me better ram... SSD... etc

Last edited by J.J.; 31st March 2017 at 1:19 AM.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 1:26 AM   #3
Alpha2k6

What I want in a motherbord is good build quality/stability.
Features such as more USB3 and SATA ports, supporting SLI/Crossfire.
If slow USB2 ports could be skipped and only faster ones used it would be good feature,
they are backwards compatible after all.

Design plays a certain part, elegant design is always good.
What I do not want in design, is for it to look like a christmas tree or a UFO.
Without LED's is a good thing IMHO.

my current motherboard is nothing special:
ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011

was originally planning to build with this one, EVGA SR-X - Dual Xeon Socket 2011.
but unfortunatly EVGA stoped manufacturing it and I could not find one to purchase.

If you where to make something simmilar with dual sockets, for the new upcoming Intel CPUs it would be interessting.

My 2 cents.
Alpha2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 2:39 AM   #4
AntikytheraBB

A massive industry change that I have thought for a while would be a good idea is to make dual socket motherboards. One socket for CPU one for GPU. Then consumers could buy their own coolers for both. This would mean GPU company sell socketable chips rather than whole cards.

But coming back to the real world:

I dislike lots of LEDs, especially if they are different colors. If I want lights in my build I'll add them myself and if I do so i'll want to pick the color. Best innovation option for a manufacturer here would be to use RGB LEDs and allow them to all be dimmed or turned off. There was one point where I was about to self mod the blue LED on my GPU shroud because it didn't match my red build.

For the board itself I definitely prefer solid color, or color plus black (or white), rather than multiple colors used on a single board. It makes it easier to go with a color theme for the entire build.

Click to view full size!

I appreciate the usefulness of features designed for overclocking on a bench test environment. Voltage measuring points and power buttons that don't need to be wired up to case switch. Though in reality it not something I would use often.

Passive cooling is a good thing. One of my boards had a noisy 20mm fan on the northbridge which was very annoying until i basically set it to always off in the BIOS. I do like the aesthetics of metal heatsinks but more importantly their function.

Not sure of the shrouds over the I/O components that are becoming common. They strike me as pure design rather than functionality which for some reason irks me.

In reality though I tend to care less about design and pick a board on features and price.

edit : less about aesthetics and more about function - with many people routing power cables from behind the motherboard tray i am wondering if side/edge mounting the ATX 24 pin connector in the same way the SATA connectors are sometimes side mounted might be a good idea. in the picture above note the bulky power ATX cable routes in a loop from behind the MB tray.

Last edited by AntikytheraBB; 31st March 2017 at 2:54 AM.
AntikytheraBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 3:33 AM   #5
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntikytheraBB View Post
edit : less about aesthetics and more about function - with many people routing power cables from behind the motherboard tray i am wondering if side/edge mounting the ATX 24 pin connector in the same way the SATA connectors are sometimes side mounted might be a good idea. in the picture above note the bulky power ATX cable routes in a loop from behind the MB tray.
This is what I was going to say, but not for the same reasons I suspect.

Why can't motherboard sockets situated on the edge of a board.. like 24 pin, EPS, aux fans etc.. be mounted horizontally? So much neater, and less stress on the socket too I'd imagine.

Especially the USB 3.0 socket, which is just the worst designed standard around. A thick, inflexible cable which has to make a 180 degree turn into a really badly designed socket.. they couldn't have at least fitted them with proper clips??

In fact, make as many sockets as possible horizontally mounted at the rear of the board even. Many cases would already allow this, and I have a dremel that will sort the ones that don't. If it becomes a standard, they'll build cases to suit. I'd like to hide ALL cables at the back of the board if I could.

Front panel audio jacks need a simple small cable to work. If the socket really must be right in the middle of the board, as they all are, can't you at least make it horizontal on the back? A motherboard CPU cutout would provide plenty of access, and we wouldn't need to run a shitty little cable across the top of the board.

You could do the same for your GPU's by the way. Mount the power sockets underneath the GPU, facing the back instead of the front.. no more messy cables and 180 turns.

The other thing I'd strive for is to keep as much of the top of the board as low profile as possible. The components at the top of the board make many cases unable to use a decent rad on top. Can RAM be shifted so its lower and parallel to PCIE? That would make a huge difference right there.

I'd like to see switched DIMMS and switched PCIE slots on every board, regardless of how high end they are. Such useful things.

I'd like to see an LCD screen on high end boards, which don't display just a code number, but big red letters that say "Dimm slot 2 is not functional" or "GPU fault", etc.

I'd also like all of this plus a halving of the price ..

Why doesn't anyone make an E-ITX board anymore? Just an extra slot long, doesn't have to be X16, just a X4 or something to add a single peripheral like a PCIE M.2 card or an audio card, or a SAS card.. whatever. I'd also love to see a shitload more fan connectors on ITX boards. I have 3.. one for the pump, one for the CPU fans, and a third for a case fan. The CPU fans (rad fans) are all running from a hub. I want more fan connectors !! On the back of the board.. horizontally...

Build a high end E-ITX board, with a mono block on it as well, to these specs, and I'd happily pay double (or more, with a mono block!) the price of current ITX boards.

My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 4:14 AM   #6
alch

Random comment to be in it to win it as it doesnt matter whether we provided feedback or not :P
Old 31st March 2017, 6:19 AM   #7
Andy3008

Quote:
Originally Posted by alch View Post
Random comment to be in it to win it as it doesnt matter whether we provided feedback or not :P
And we have a winner....

But seriously folks, the more bling the better I say...I'm an ASUS fanboi but the Designare looks sweet.
Andy3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 7:43 AM   #8
Hammer

Default Must haves

My builds have to remain reliable and fast for as long as possible. No bargain basement boards need apply, no $500 gaming boards either.
Lots of PWM fan headers individually controlled
Optical out
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 8:01 AM   #9
Luke212

i would like mb manufacturers to not have a dodgy pcie system. if you have 6 slots i want to be able to plug in 6 pcie cards. This rarely happens especially on recent z170 and z270 boards. when you get more than 4 they fail to detect cards. so either dont waste our time and stick to 4 slots, or at least get the 6 to work properly.
Old 31st March 2017, 8:32 AM   #10
LinX

Hi Dino..

What I look for in a motherboard:

1. Linux Compatibility, I generally run Linux exclusively, even for gaming.
2. Not too much ... fluff, I mainly want a board that does it's job, is solid and reliable.
3. Decent price, as it's the item that would lend to the least amount of performance gained.
4. Modern IO, USB 3.1, some type C connectors, For a desktop M2 and 2 sata is usually adequate. And sometimes wireless.
5. Lastly Decent sound, (with Linux Compatibility of course)
Old 31st March 2017, 8:57 AM   #11
TaroT

this is what i look for in a board;
1.reliability
2. after sales service(including current bios and software updates something gigabyte and asus ...well all of them really seem to lack)
3.connectivity like usb 3.1 gen 2 and loads of usb ports on the back something both the intel and amd x370 are missing a bit i mean who buys a higher end board to run onboard graphics the one exception is the asus Baymax with 300 usb and no monitor outputs.
4. good sound i like my Dolby digital
5. good vrm heat sinks the last asus board i ahd lacked in that department the gigabyte boards were a little better but not much this asus x370 is much much better(and weighs a ton )
6. price...i really do not want to pay for things i do not use so maybe a slightly better range from the 200 to 400 dollar section.
7. a real socket not one full of pins...oh that's intel not you my bad
8.a board that does not feel like lightweight cardboard and bends the second you attach a cooler.

and lastly and most importantly something that works it can lok as nice as a Ferrari but if it does not work it is a paperweight.

oh and another thing about the gigabyte boards(not so much an issue now i think) is i, m tired of seeing 40 revisions for the same board...you have to make sure you get revision 4.1 not 3.2 because that won't work with this or that. and that is not so much the board maker but the shop really...how many stores actually say what revision a board is...buy online and it cn be a crap shoot.
Old 31st March 2017, 8:58 AM   #12
Demonic2005

1. Reliability - Had a bad string of Gigabyte boards 4 years ago, now the same is happening with ASRock/Asus

2. Features - Got to have modern features, M2 ports (Pref Multiple), No backwards steps with technology

3. Layout - Not a huge issues but I've been burnt with sacrificing RAM slots because of aftermarket coolers or annoying PCIe layouts but everyone is different so I accept that.

4. Less LED's like do away with them completely!
Demonic2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 9:04 AM   #13
Kaliban

Some background info - I'm still running an Asus X58 chipset mobo with a xeon processor now in a system I built 8 years ago.

First thing I look at is technology and a lifecycle with a path which won't become obsolete too fast. In my last choice that is why I chose the X58 chipset.

Second thing I look for is reliability at an affordable price, with overclocking features. It is why I chose Asus.

Things that didn't factor in my decision: colour of the board, flashing lights etc.

Folding@Home 110k Club Folding@Home 8,000,000 Points Milestone
x5650 @4.0Ghz on Cogage Air 24GB ECC RAM intel 80GB G2 SSD GTX 980 Ti
Kaliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 9:25 AM   #14
psychobunny

I've found lately I'm only going with gigabyte boards that have UD caps, the last non GB board i got was an Asus P5B-Deluxe which I think I bought from you dinos

Beyond that I typically get whatever has minimum requirements needed to save on costs. While the above board looks good, gone are the days of style inside my pc and these days I just want it to be quiet and do what i need it to do

The thing that has annoyed me the most is placement of components

Mostly, the eps power is a constant pain in the backside when you have a psu mounted on the bottom of your case and the cable barely reaches, ir it is so close to the edge of the board and its so close to the case you cant unclip it without using something like a metal pick tool or unmounting the whole board
Then you get other boards with unreachable sata ports if you have a monstrous graphics card, or PCIE clips that are impossible to unclip if your card has a 2 slot cooler

I feel lately lots of boards are tested on test benches as part of design, and not actually tested inside a cramped case.

I get that Im not providing solutions here, but i think it may be time to reconsider where some things are placed on a board rather than just resorting to "that's what we did last time"

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'd twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.

Last edited by psychobunny; 31st March 2017 at 9:35 AM.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 9:44 AM   #15
MUTMAN

1. fix the issues in the current bios for ryzen chips
2. add bling ?? no
3. dont add bling at all cause its a waste of money and drives costs up
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote