Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st March 2017, 12:11 PM   #1
Agg Thread Starter
Lord of the Pings

Default Intel Optane Memory

Intel have officially launched their Optane Memory product. To quote HotHardware's coverage: The Intel Optane Memory devices we’ll be discussing here looks like other current generation 80mm M.2 “gumstick” type solid state drives. However, Intel Optane Memory is meant to be used as an accelerator for systems featuring relatively low-speed storage devices, like hard drives. More coverage on Tweaktown, Tech Report, LegitReviews, Anandtech and PC Perspective.

I haven't read the articles in depth yet, but my first thought is that I can't really see the point of it. Is it meant to be like ReadyBoost but on M.2 PCIe? It'd have to be pretty cheap, otherwise you could just buy one of the many large/fast M.2 PCIe SSDs and put your data on that. Unless you have a huge data set on HDD.. hrrm.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st March 2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Bertross

im looking forward to this for sure!

BORROWED 780TI REF THANKS OJR |RYZEN 1700+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB 3000 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TEMPERED |
EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 | CINTIQ 24HD+U2711 | SWAN M200MKIII+DT770 PRO+D1 DAC
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 1:45 PM   #3
dakiller
(Oscillating & Impeding)

Seems like a solution looking for a problem.

My thoughts are this.

Intel boss - We spent squillions on this new tech, what now?

Intel engineer - This stuff is great, we can make blazin' fast SSD's with these chips no problems. Just they are $1500 for a 375gb.

Intel boss - enterprise is going to lap that shit up, but I want something cheaper to squeeze something out of consumers, we want to get them interested in this newfangled stuff too.

Intel engineer - Uh, we got this cache technology we developed years ago, we can slap it in that? we can sell small ones like that.

Intel boss - Great, do it!
dakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 2:15 PM   #4
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakiller View Post
this is what I thought when I read about it the other day, waste of time.
Old 31st March 2017, 2:28 PM   #5
akromatic

Quote:
more like a problem with no real solutions.....

they are still stuck on the tiny 32gb cache that is limited to a single drive that you cant even choose which one.

issue with these caching solution is the hard limit on the cache amount and the supported platform.

im sure if they offer it out as a 240gb cache that you can pair with any drive or raid array and is OS agnostic it would fly off the shelf.

at the moment there is still no real solution to storing a few TB of steam games and still have them at SSD speeds without spending a few grand on a 2-4TB SSD or deal with the hassle of shifting games between drives
akromatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 4:07 PM   #6
Doc-of-FC

ZFS SLOG is a primary use case, depending on if they come in power loss protection (onboard capacitor) capability like the Intel DC-S drives do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post
at the moment there is still no real solution to storing a few TB of steam games and still have them at SSD speeds without spending a few grand on a 2-4TB SSD or deal with the hassle of shifting games between drives
well the more memory you've got the more blocks windows shovels into cached.

put those games on a NAS running ZFS and present to your machine using MPIO ISCSI, coupled with L2ARC acceleration and a couple GB ram, you've got yourself most of the way towards a 4TB SSD experience for your most frequently & recently accessed blocks.
Doc-of-FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 4:38 PM   #7
RagingKoala

Seems reasonable for non computer literate people. The problem with a SSD + a hard drive is you have to manage your data between two drivers.

You just plug one of these in, the computer is much much faster and it requires 0 management from them. Plus its very cheap.
RagingKoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 5:36 PM   #8
mtma

Wasn't this supposed to be the large solid state storage with RAM speeds?

I guess what they could produce fell far short of the expectations.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 7:47 PM   #9
ni9ht_5ta1k3r

kinda stupid to have if you run off SSDs.
XBOX Live: The Gh0sts | Steam: Th3_Gh0sts | PSN: TheGhosts (AU) - TheGh0sts_CA (CA) | Origin: Th3_Gh0sts - RSSC: Chillawhat | UPlay: spartan33 | Battle.Net: Th3Gh0sts#1131
Current PC: Metabox Prime-X P870DM-G with a GTX 1070 Notebook
My Web & Graphic Design Portfolio | My EBay Listings | Overwatch Vids
ni9ht_5ta1k3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 8:12 PM   #10
akromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-of-FC View Post
ZFS SLOG is a primary use case, depending on if they come in power loss protection (onboard capacitor) capability like the Intel DC-S drives do.

well the more memory you've got the more blocks windows shovels into cached.

put those games on a NAS running ZFS and present to your machine using MPIO ISCSI, coupled with L2ARC acceleration and a couple GB ram, you've got yourself most of the way towards a 4TB SSD experience for your most frequently & recently accessed blocks.

ZFS NAS comes with the expense of building one and running it also its not a "portable" setup after all you would need another computer to set this up.

LAN party goers need not apply.
Old 1st April 2017, 8:50 AM   #11
Doc-of-FC

Quote:
  • its not a "portable" setup
  • LAN party goers need not apply.
those weren't the points I was addressing.

Quote:

for a lot less than a few grand, you can get near SSD speeds for TB's worth of games.

horses for courses.

Last edited by Doc-of-FC; 1st April 2017 at 8:53 AM.
Doc-of-FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 9:15 AM   #12
dakiller
(Oscillating & Impeding)

I just looked, there are 1TB SSD's for $400, 2tb for $700, so that give you 2TB for < $1k
Old 1st April 2017, 11:37 AM   #13
akromatic

Quote:
I just looked, there are 1TB SSD's for $400, 2tb for $700, so that give you 2TB for < $1k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-of-FC View Post
those weren't the points I was addressing.

for a lot less than a few grand, you can get near SSD speeds for TB's worth of games.

horses for courses.
cant satisfy everyone cant you. not much solutions for near ssd speed drive access without involving 2 computers

well im currently getting by with a 2TB firecuda but 8gb cache is just rubbish. optane with 32gb is ok but still crap. no idea about primocache but in theory i can use a 240gb nvme for it but i hate that it cannibalize ram for ram drive when i cant afford any ram given im using ~30gb out of the 32GB that i have and i cant add more because i've fill my 2 dimm slots.

Quote:
yeh well, $700 for a 2TB is still pricy and a luxury. for $700 i could get a 1080 and actually have real improvements in games

all in all i like the idea of optane and its the right ssd for the job, the implementation sucks hard though with a 32gb cap and only OS drive acceleration. in fact its worst then SRT.
Old 1st April 2017, 5:11 PM   #14
dakiller
(Oscillating & Impeding)

Quote:
yeh well, $700 for a 2TB is still pricy and a luxury. for $700 i could get a 1080 and actually have real improvements in games
Cheap!

I bought 64gb SSD's back when they were the new hotstuff for $450 each. They were the best upgrade I've ever had for a PC still
Old 1st April 2017, 10:23 PM   #15
akromatic

Quote:
Cheap!

I bought 64gb SSD's back when they were the new hotstuff for $450 each. They were the best upgrade I've ever had for a PC still
yeh i paid $450 each when they were hot stuff but now for $700 i have other priorities like a 1080