Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th April 2017, 7:39 PM   #1
radeon_freak Thread Starter

Default Sound Blaster Z vs ASUS Strix Soar

Has anyone had any personal experience with both or either of these sound cards?

I have a mate who has the Z but to me his headphones sound quite boomy and the base is over emphasized with the out of the box settings.

They both seem quite similar to one another so would like to hear some personal experiences if possible. Maybe some pro's and con's?

I mostly game and listen to music with headphones. I'm definitely no audiophile but I'm not really liking the on board audio on my ranger vii.
Sales: Hung Mung01, arnica, goodguy82, pshnfry, Pic, XTREME OC'ER, lui_gough, alexanderino, phil_is_mrx, Noonoo, lionman, snoozeys, callen_1, iCrunk, craigoss, CHemical, V1C7012, mtot, Miggod, protecon, Chop92per, Copie, stedyedy, Pipster, Peteodeath, Blue_muppet, dingdong555, baby_ute, fredhoon, WuzzA21, ElBeasto, lostdude, endo, disa1377,TwistedTripper, SoniQx, MorgzMods, gigabyte123, lostdude, vinnie, iNoob, colinskies, Wombycat, jamieyn, Linkin, aln, Little Man, linsi, AdsfromOz + many more

Last edited by radeon_freak; 15th April 2017 at 7:49 PM.
radeon_freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th April 2017, 8:34 PM   #2
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeon_freak View Post
Has anyone had any personal experience with both or either of these sound cards?

I have a mate who has the Z but to me his headphones sound quite boomy and the base is over emphasized with the out of the box settings.
I have the Z on two systems and I'm very happy with it. I guess coming from my previous SB card the X-Fi I noticed the lack of treble at default with the Z. I guess you can fine tune with the EQ but I don't really bother. Overall I'm happy with the Z for my basic requirements, occasional gaming, but mostly music (mp3) listening....for which I'm mre than happy.

This a more than capable card. Sorry I cannot speak for the ASUS as I've not owned it.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:21 PM   #3
dexster

creative software provides plenty of settings which will enable you to adjust the sound the way u want

as for the boominess was bass boost turned on?
Oversized C*ck Always Up
dexster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 12:52 PM   #4
tree86ers

from reading around online they are about the same..
from a software side of things I would go with the ASUS, as from experience Asus is less problematic (this is talking when using a Xonar U7 & Xonar STX compared to a Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium).
tree86ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 4:56 PM   #5
lithos

Sound Blaster uber alles.

The "software issues" haven't been issues for over a decade.
lithos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 4:02 AM   #6
terrastrife

Sound Blaster software is brilliant these days, simple but great, many of their older products have proper Windows 10 drivers too, something Asus can't seem to manage. Asus RIP Windows 8.1.

Boomy would be your friends' headphones and settings. I have an Omni (pretty much a USB Z) for my HD598, and they work great together.
terrastrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 8:31 AM   #7
radeon_freak Thread Starter

Decided to go the sound blaster route and loving it so far I had to adjust the EQ and SBX settings as out of the box it was the same boomy type sound as my mates on both my HyperX Clouds and Alessandro MS-1's.
Sales: Hung Mung01, arnica, goodguy82, pshnfry, Pic, XTREME OC'ER, lui_gough, alexanderino, phil_is_mrx, Noonoo, lionman, snoozeys, callen_1, iCrunk, craigoss, CHemical, V1C7012, mtot, Miggod, protecon, Chop92per, Copie, stedyedy, Pipster, Peteodeath, Blue_muppet, dingdong555, baby_ute, fredhoon, WuzzA21, ElBeasto, lostdude, endo, disa1377,TwistedTripper, SoniQx, MorgzMods, gigabyte123, lostdude, vinnie, iNoob, colinskies, Wombycat, jamieyn, Linkin, aln, Little Man, linsi, AdsfromOz + many more
radeon_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 9:50 AM   #8
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrastrife View Post
Sound Blaster software is brilliant these days, simple but great
In my last two cards with they've most definitely lifted their game with the software/drivers.
Old 3rd May 2017, 3:15 PM   #9
dcyloo

The Asus U7 has a nifty option of pushing the volume button and it will switch between the speakers to headphones for output.

Does the Soundblaster external cards have a similar function?
I find it more and more difficult to purchase electronic consumer goods that are produced outside of China. All because of Kogan. They are the company who started all of this. Thank goodness for apple. I may get charged a fortune, but at least I know the goods are being made by happy, well paid workers.
I am disappointed in my life
dcyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 2:43 PM   #10
francis87

The ZxR does.. but its a software switch not physical
i7 6700k w\ H105 | GBit Z170x Gaming 7 | Corsair Crystal 570x |MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk| Vengence 32GB Blue Leds | 1x 512GB Samsung NMVe Pro + 2 X 256GB Samsung SSD + 120GB Corsair Force SSD + 2TB | Creative SB ZxR | 32'' AOC UltraWide | 2 x AOC I2777FQ | 28'' Samsung 4k | AX 860i | Previous Project Log
|My Net Speed |
francis87 is offline   Reply With Quote