Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st April 2017, 1:29 AM   #1
Reaper Thread Starter

Default SNES Mini

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...mini-this-year

Time to get over the current non existence of the nes mini and get onto the next thing. I actually look forward to an n64 mini if this will be a trend.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st April 2017, 9:49 AM   #2
nav

Hopefully they plan for demand, SNES would be far more popular than NES and N64 combined.

-nav.

edit - looking at stats on the wiki, NES outsold both SNES and N64!
Very surprising, even though I never had one the SNES always felt like it was top dog to me.

Last edited by nav; 21st April 2017 at 9:56 AM.
nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:03 AM   #3
NSanity

The NES was largely unchallenged for a lot of its life.

The SNES was going head to head with the Genesis/Megadrive, the MegaCD and even the Saturn (or was it the dreamcast?) and the original PS1.

SNES was absolutely the golden era of cartridge console gaming.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Nightwish

Hell yes. If one comes out I'm totally buying it! Hopefully they put some good stuff on it like donkey Kong country and super Mario world!
Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:21 AM   #5
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
donkey Kong country and super Mario world!
Super Mario World - absolutely. Nintendo first party, flagship title, it'll be on there.

I'm 99% certain Nintendo still own the Donkey Kong Country rights, despite being developed by Rare (who are now owned by Microsoft). So that should be there too.

There'll be Zelda, Kirby and Metroid on there too. I see folks around the Internet asking for a bunch of Capcom (Ghouls and Ghosts, Street Fighter, etc) and Komani (Castlevania, etc) titles. Some of those were on the NES Mini. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo go with more third party licenses for this too.

I was actually wondering, with the sudden death of the NES Mini, will Nintendo make this new device do both (NES and SNES)? That would be pretty spectacular. But the way Nintendo value the dollar cost of individual titles, I doubt it.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:23 AM   #6
SpicEwEazle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Super Mario World - absolutely. Nintendo first party, flagship title, it'll be on there.

I'm 99% certain Nintendo still own the Donkey Kong Country rights, despite being developed by Rare (who are now owned by Microsoft). So that should be there too.

There'll be Zelda, Kirby and Metroid on there too. I see folks around the Internet asking for a bunch of Capcom (Ghouls and Ghosts, Street Fighter, etc) and Komani (Castlevania, etc) titles. Some of those were on the NES Mini. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo go with more third party licenses for this too.

I was actually wondering, with the sudden death of the NES Mini, will Nintendo make this new device do both (NES and SNES)? That would be pretty spectacular. But the way Nintendo value the dollar cost of individual titles, I doubt it.
don't forget Allstars!

It's not tron
SpicEwEazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:26 AM   #7
hippyhippy

as the local nes mini mogul .. i plan to flip 100 of these.

never owned a snes myself. but actually the system was probably the last 16 bit console released but still dominated the market. im hopeful that it will have more than 32mb of memory and be as hackable as the nes mini.
hippyhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:38 AM   #8
akashra

If this thing has A Link to the Past, it'll be worth $100 in itself. I expect though that we'll see Zelda: LttP, Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Pilotwings, Mario All Stars, Mario Kart, Metroid, Punch-Out, Dr Mario, F-Zero, Starfox and Stunt Race FX.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:47 AM   #9
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
as the local nes mini mogul .. i plan to flip 100 of these.

never owned a snes myself. but actually the system was probably the last 16 bit console released but still dominated the market. im hopeful that it will have more than 32mb of memory and be as hackable as the nes mini.
I quite genuinely hope they're not trivially hackable, and production levels are high enough to force the flippers to look elsewhere.

A big part of why the NES Mini event was so poor was hackers and flippers. You are literally the reason we can't have nice things.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:51 AM   #10
hippyhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
I quite genuinely hope they're not trivially hackable, and production levels are high enough to force the flippers to look elsewhere.

A big part of why the NES Mini event was so poor was hackers and flippers. You are literally the reason we can't have nice things.
What? ... you cant blame flippers and hackers for the low production numbers of what is essentially a raspberry pi with an emulator... how you can make that link is beyond me...
hippyhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:57 AM   #11
martini.txt

Hmm?

Flippers buying and hording multiple units limits legit buyers from enjoying the product

Devices being unlocked and sideloaded discourages nintendo from continuing to release the thing without either A: cracking down on device security or B: ceasing production and moving onto the next thing

neither is definite, but both are entirely plausible.

I don't really care about the sideloading bit, as someone was gonna figure that out either way eventually. But cutting others out of a fair go is greedy and a pretty sad thing to see. "There are many more coconuts than I need, I will keep all of the coconuts"
Micro - HP N40L w/ Ubuntu, Sickrage, Plex, Deluge
Garage - Honda Hornet 900 & Fiesta ST & BF XR6 Turbo
martini.txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 11:01 AM   #12
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
What? ... you cant blame flippers and hackers for the low production numbers of what is essentially a raspberry pi with an emulator... how you can make that link is beyond me...
Flippers - not even a challenge. Think like a business, not an individual on eBay. If someone else is selling your product at 2-3 times the profit margins that your official retail channels can sell them, it pisses your distributors and retailers off big time. Welcome to big business, and how shit works in the real world.

Hackers - this is Nintendo we're talking about. When people hack their stuff, they pull out. Probably not as much of a reason as flippers, but definitely on Nintendo's radar.

Sure, the RPi is the same, but Nintendo can't control that. They can, however, control the NES Mini, and despite roaring success pulled it from the market. Well regarded sources in the games journalism world are reporting it was a combination of these two issues, plus some other stuff. So flippers and hackers aren't 100% to blame, but they are a big part of the problem.

It's not me making this link. It's what Nintendo execs are taking away from the exercise, as reported by journalistic sources.

Take all the offence you like. If you're flipping NES Minis , then you are part of the problem. Thanks for fucking it up for the rest of us.

Last edited by elvis; 21st April 2017 at 11:06 AM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 11:08 AM   #13
zero_velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...mini-this-year

Time to get over the current non existence of the nes mini and get onto the next thing. I actually look forward to an n64 mini if this will be a trend.
I still want a NES mini, but the SNES looks cool.

For me it would be;
N64
NES
SNES

Personal preference only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav View Post
Hopefully they plan for demand, SNES would be far more popular than NES and N64 combined.

-nav.

edit - looking at stats on the wiki, NES outsold both SNES and N64!
Very surprising, even though I never had one the SNES always felt like it was top dog to me.
I think they will all sell just as competitively as each other, they're damn sure cheap enough to

Quote:
Well... no we can't. But we can blame flippers for taking an already low production product, buying multiple units and flipping for a profit. screwing a significant amount of people like myself and everyone I know out of a fair go. I still haven't been lucky enough to get a NES mini, and what, I believe you have... 4?

To add insult to injury people sell them for serious profit, which I believe is a rather gutless and moral-less act, as you rely on others misfortune to benefit your own gain. I wont support or condone flipping and that's why I haven't bought one at an inflated price.
zero_velocity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 11:26 AM   #14
miicah

Please, please let this mean a Mini N64 for 2018!!

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 11:32 AM   #15
Boneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miicah View Post
Please, please let this mean a Mini N64 for 2018!!
Along with a Mini Switch.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote