Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 24th April 2017, 12:29 AM   #1
FranchiseJuan Thread Starter

Default Godox AD200 Talk

So how many of you have gotten your units already? I have not really had a serious shoot with them yet, but I have been testing, and it seems with direct flash in a Bowens standard (umbrella) reflector that the flash head is more powerful than the bare bulb (by almost a stop). This was measured with my trusty light meter.

I am like WTH? The bare bulb should be less powerful right? What are your experiences so far?

BTW, The included light stand adaptor is complete and utter rubbish. Do not use.
FranchiseJuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th April 2017, 6:51 PM   #2
aln

No idea about power from the two heads. I'd be using the fresnel head for most of the work.

The light stand adapter looked pretty sturdy to me, better than other ones I have seen. What light stand adapter would you be using instead?

I'll probably be using mini ball heads instead of light stand adapters.
aln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 7:13 PM   #3

I am using This adaptor.

It is not the stand adaptor that is bad, but the bolt that needs to be screwed in, is either too loose or I can't get it off.
Old 24th April 2017, 8:33 PM   #4
lonewolf1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranchiseJuan View Post
I am using This adaptor.

It is not the stand adaptor that is bad, but the bolt that needs to be screwed in, is either too loose or I can't get it off.
Strange, i have the same adapter with my tt685 and works fine, will be squeezing the AD200 in when mine arrives
Old 24th April 2017, 9:07 PM   #5
humanrace

I think that is correct - the fresnel head is directional light and therefore brighter. The benefit of barebulb is filling modifiers evenly

I have only used it once - the portability is awesome.

TBH i havent tried the umbrella adapter - will be using the s type bracket
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 9:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf1983 View Post
Strange, i have the same adapter with my tt685 and works fine, will be squeezing the AD200 in when mine arrives
I don't mean the S mount adaptor is bad, I mean the one that comes with the AD200 is bad as you have to screw a bolt into the AD200 then mount it onto the included stand, and after it almost falling off it twice I gave up trying to use it.
Old 25th April 2017, 1:14 AM   #7
Pbx_Jnr

I normally second shoot for my friend and hold the light for his shoots. I'm really looking forward to not having to hang the AD360 battery around my neck when holding the light haha

Here is his very quick initial review:

http://mickporter.com.au/blog/godoxad200weddings

He did mention to me that the head feels a bit bigger than the AD360 and might be a tight squeeze in the S bracket. Either way, very keen on shooting with it
Pbx_Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 11:21 AM   #8
humanrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbx_Jnr View Post
I normally second shoot for my friend and hold the light for his shoots. I'm really looking forward to not having to hang the AD360 battery around my neck when holding the light haha

Here is his very quick initial review:

http://mickporter.com.au/blog/godoxad200weddings

He did mention to me that the head feels a bit bigger than the AD360 and might be a tight squeeze in the S bracket. Either way, very keen on shooting with it
its a small world!

the AD200 is tight in the s type bracket. but it fits so all good. There were rumours that it wouldnt, and that the bracket needed to be modified. Cheetah stand sells modified versions I think to the US market. Luckily it fits though.

There are rumours that godox are working on a version which holds 2 AD200s - im not sure exactly how it will work though given that 2 of them are larger then the bowens mount unless the entire flashes are within the modifier - which would only be suitable for softboxes

Last edited by humanrace; 25th April 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 25th April 2017, 11:29 AM   #9
Pbx_Jnr

haha yeah, I pointed him to your facebook post

He was keen on getting one but was a little hesitant since he already had the 360. But the portability was hard to ignore!
Pbx_Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
There are rumours that godox are working on a version which holds 2 AD200s - im not sure exactly how it will work though given that 2 of them are larger then the bowens mount unless the entire flashes are within the modifier - which would only be suitable for softboxes
They could just make a head that is the bare bulb and connects to two units like they did with the AD600. Or better yet. They could make a connector for the portable AD600 bead that connects to two AD200s. That would be good.
Old 29th June 2017, 11:24 AM   #11
humanrace

Check it out:

http://flashhavoc.com/flashpoint-evo...ket-announced/
Old 5th July 2017, 1:27 PM   #12
Psyentist

Finally pulled the trigger on one of these
Old 5th July 2017, 8:10 PM   #13
lonewolf1983

did a couple of shoots with the ad200 - more than enough power to fill the small softbox i used, even outdoors but not fully against the sun
So portable and after a variety of shots power wise barely half used
Old 9th July 2017, 9:58 PM   #14
Phreeky

I've used mine a fair bit. The S braket works great, I taken off the rubber bit and replaced it with some tape and it works a treat.

I find powerful enough outdoors when doing singlet subjects but when back a bit I need to let the sun set just a tiny bit.

Using some gels I brought online for colour correction.

Overall I'm stoked with it
Old 10th July 2017, 3:22 PM   #15
humanrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreeky View Post
I've used mine a fair bit. The S braket works great, I taken off the rubber bit and replaced it with some tape and it works a treat.
I bought a couple of S brackets years ago and they fit the AD200 without any modification. I bought another recently and had to modify that one to fit. I was wondering why everyone couldn't get theirs to fit until I got the new one!