Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st May 2017, 9:16 PM   #1
lawrencep93 Thread Starter

Default Low cost Small/medium business IP phone solution

Trying to work out a low cost IP phone system to connect to about 12 -
15 employees.

Moving offices, currently have NBN moving to ADSL2+ and most likely physical phone lines into the building so no VOIP.

Most likely have 4-6 external lines 1 fax.

For an accounting firm.

What sort of systems should I look at implementing that can just plug into phone lines coming in, go onto the network and connect to all the IP phones.

I am a bit new to the whole IP phone solution thing so not 100% sure what solutions are most commonly used by small-medium business.

We have 2 servers on site could use the application server if needed.
i7 4930k @ 4.6GHz, NZXT Kraken X60 watercooler with Push pull fans (4 x 140mm), 32GB Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133MHz, Asus X79-Deluxe, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB OC Edition, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Corsair RM-1000w PSU, Nanoxia Deep Silence 6, LG Blueray Burner, 16 x 2TB Green drives, 6 x 4TB RED NAS Drives (4 x 4TB RAID 5(Highpoint SuperRAID Card)). WINDOWS 7 Pro. Gigabyte Laptop P25XV2-880-4702S
lawrencep93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st May 2017, 9:25 PM   #2
chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencep93 View Post
Trying to work out a low cost IP phone system to connect to about 12 -
15 employees.

Moving offices, currently have NBN moving to ADSL2+ and most likely physical phone lines into the building so no VOIP.

Most likely have 4-6 external lines 1 fax.
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out VoIP.
If you're in metro Melbourne area, an ADSL service + 6 POTS lines could easily end up costing almost the same as an actual business grade SHDSL ("ethernet" in telco sales language) connection and an externally hosted virtual PBX.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 9:32 PM   #3
Zedd02

iiNet hosted VOIP will do similar to what you want for about $30/line (https://www.iinet.net.au/business/small/bizphone/).

Otherwise, Engin will offer you 4 SIP trunks for about $35/m (http://www.engin.com.au/phone/sip-trunking-plans) or 2 lines with almost all calls being free for about $120/m.

Engin also offer Hosted Phone systems for about $40/m (http://www.engin.com.au/phone/hosted-phone-pbx-plans).

They're just the options I've investigated. They all seem pretty good. They do have limits you should investigate, but they aren't bad.

EDIT: Fax lines are best sent to GoFAX (http://www.gofax.com.au). SO MUCH MORE USEFUL.
Zedd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 10:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out VoIP.
If you're in metro Melbourne area, an ADSL service + 6 POTS lines could easily end up costing almost the same as an actual business grade SHDSL ("ethernet" in telco sales language) connection and an externally hosted virtual PBX.
Melbourne CBD really close to Victoria Market.

We currently have the 6 POTS lines through Telstra NBN is virtualization I assume, so will move them over to the existing phone lines into the building or go down VOIP if that is cheaper?

I am sure the FAX is plugged into the server or the MFP as it sends all faxes to email but we can send from the MFP.
i7 4930k @ 4.6GHz, NZXT Kraken X60 watercooler with Push pull fans (4 x 140mm), 32GB Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133MHz, Asus X79-Deluxe, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB OC Edition, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Corsair RM-1000w PSU, Nanoxia Deep Silence 6, LG Blueray Burner, 16 x 2TB Green drives, 6 x 4TB RED NAS Drives (4 x 4TB RAID 5(Highpoint SuperRAID Card)). WINDOWS 7 Pro. Gigabyte Laptop P25XV2-880-4702S
Old 1st June 2017, 6:50 AM   #5
TehCamel

Lawrence,

I wouldn't recommend running more than 2-3 SIP/VOIP services over an ADSL service, especially if you're using it for internet as well.

a standard PSTN phone line, with calls included runs between 50-100 per line, per month.Then you also need your PABX and handsets and all the setup.
Sure.. I guess you could do ISDN also, get an ISDN2 or ISDN4 or something. But that changes the PBX you need as well.

As an alternative, I'd go with similar to chip's suggestion.
An SHDSL Service, with voip PBX. Rock solid SHDSL Service, synchronous up/down speed of 10/10 or 20/20 (dependent on site quals)
ability to quickly add new handsets - just plug it into the network.
plus, IVR, call recording, voicemail-to-email, internal calling for free
6 handsets and 10/10 service for sub $500, no fixed hardware costs, no pbx callout or programming or install fees.

drop me a PM if you want, I'm sure I can find you a solution
TehCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 8:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehCamel View Post
Lawrence,

I wouldn't recommend running more than 2-3 SIP/VOIP services over an ADSL service, especially if you're using it for internet as well.

a standard PSTN phone line, with calls included runs between 50-100 per line, per month.Then you also need your PABX and handsets and all the setup.
Sure.. I guess you could do ISDN also, get an ISDN2 or ISDN4 or something. But that changes the PBX you need as well.

As an alternative, I'd go with similar to chip's suggestion.
An SHDSL Service, with voip PBX. Rock solid SHDSL Service, synchronous up/down speed of 10/10 or 20/20 (dependent on site quals)
ability to quickly add new handsets - just plug it into the network.
plus, IVR, call recording, voicemail-to-email, internal calling for free
6 handsets and 10/10 service for sub $500, no fixed hardware costs, no pbx callout or programming or install fees.

drop me a PM if you want, I'm sure I can find you a solution
Thanks,

I will try grab a bill and see how much we are paying for the POTS lines now.

Then try and compare it to the cost of the internet I know that ADSL2+ will mean a saving of $50/month compared to the NBN they currently have.

How does the cost of SHDSL compare with $399/month which I can get 400/400 fiber installed from TPG 90% sure we are in an on net area considering TPG has built 2x FTTB in the apartment buildings next door.
Old 1st June 2017, 8:50 AM   #7
ir0nhide

Hit up all the major ISPs to see what they can do for you. They all have solutions that cater for SMBs. If you MUST do voip on ADSL, use a dedicated line (e.g. one ADSL for Internet, one for voip).
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I think you'll find the diggers would prefer he goes in marine uniform.
ir0nhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 11:55 AM   #8

Thanks I just got the bill it's actually 3 lines and 1 fax on the bill but there will be another 1-2 lines for other businesses in the building hence the 6 lines I came up with.

The 4 lines inc fax so 3 phone and 1 fax costs 800/month right now and internet service ontop for 110/month means that budget would idealy be sub 900/month
Old 1st June 2017, 1:00 PM   #9
chip

Sounds like the next step is to actually take your requirements to ISP/telco business sales people to get budgetary pricing on a few options. Keep an eye on things like setup costs, contract lengths, and service restoration times.
Old 1st June 2017, 4:23 PM   #10
TehCamel

I'd got the 400/400 fibre, personally just cause you can
Old 1st June 2017, 5:47 PM   #11
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencep93 View Post
$399/month which I can get 400/400 fiber installed from TPG
Get this - talk to TPG they will likely be able to bundle VoIP with this... then just add your favourite PBX if needed (I like Epygi Quadros but there's plenty of options nowdays ...)
person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 6:18 PM   #12
chip

TPG do advertise a hosted PBX service to go with that fibre bundle. Letting one provider do it all is potentially less hassle for a 12 seat small business than hosting on-premises. No comment on the actual quality of the service TPG are offering.
Old 2nd June 2017, 1:24 PM   #13
TehCamel

for your fax though, if you legitimately need a fax (and don't have fax-to-email or email-to-fax gateway somewhere for example ) you'll also need an ATA to convert a SIP service to a POTS service for fax line.

your TPG will cost you:

$399 ex GST per month
$1999 ex GST setup fee
36 month contract

You'll also need a firewall capable of handling that and splitting it into vlans for your voice service etc..
Then your voip service on top, however you plan to run that, whether it's a cloud PABX or whether it's an onsite PABX with handsets purchased outright (plus, you need someone to supply/manage the PBX if you do it onsite)

Last edited by TehCamel; 2nd June 2017 at 1:31 PM.
Old 2nd June 2017, 6:30 PM   #14
Frozen_Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehCamel View Post
You'll also need a firewall capable of handling that and splitting it into vlans for your voice service etc..
Then your voip service on top, however you plan to run that, whether it's a cloud PABX or whether it's an onsite PABX with handsets purchased outright (plus, you need someone to supply/manage the PBX if you do it onsite)
Something like a Juniper SRX240, you can get it in a PoE version to power the handsets as well. Pretty good bang for buck too, way cheaper than an equivalently capable Cisco ASA.

Also check out Vocus, they have a hell of a lot of on-net buildings in the CBD as well and if you mention TPG they will sharpen their pencils too. They will also deliver other services other than just internet if you want as well, such as VoIP and other things such as cloud connect services etc.
Old 3rd June 2017, 8:57 AM   #15
7nothing

3cx for the PBX, use sip trunks or put a patton box on your existing lines, or both.