Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Apple iOS (OS & Devices)

Notices

Old 7th June 2017, 7:26 PM   #1
nugget28 Thread Starter

Default iOS 11 Discussion

Thought I would kick this off seeing as the developer beta came out today in Aus.

Animations and new control centre are nice. I thought the new control centre would be more modular but such is not the case (maybe not yet?). New app store looks nice and its a nice change to what was currently there. Maps have a new weather icon in the bottom and the new notification/lock screen combo is a nice touch as well.

Really not liking the giant headings everywhere though. On the plus all my apps are currently working unlike when the iOS 10 beta came out.

Overall though I am definitely liking it!
Old 7th June 2017, 7:44 PM   #2
elvis
Old school old fool

HEIF/.heic across the board is very welcome. JPEG served us well, but it's time for the world to move on, especially in an all-cloud world with more images being uploaded per year than were captured in the entirety of human history to this point.

The dock-like addition to iPad is not surprising at all. Apple's desire to slowly merge macOS and iOS has been long obvious, and this is one step closer.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 8:43 PM   #3
Hater

Worth jumping on the Beta? I have a dev account, just it hasn't been linked to my phone.
Hater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 10:31 PM   #4
kogi

Has anyone tested it yet? If it brings back mouse/touchpad support I would be so happy.
kogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 2:02 PM   #5
Slugoid

Not gonna be testing iOS 11, since all I'm interested is the control center, even when the public beta arrives.

I'll just wait until fall for the GM to release
Slugoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 2:09 PM   #6
Alfonzo

I really really like the dock idea. It's what was needed to start turning iOS into more of a serious OS for computer replacement. Drag and drop across split apps is a fantastic addition too. Files is also going to be very handy, and I'm pleased to see it works with Dropbox straight out of the gate.

I have a lot that I like about this upgrade. Now I'm just waiting on Telstra to figure out if they're going to ship my 9.7" iPad Pro that I ordered back on the 4th of May, or if my order is going to get changed to a 10.5" instead. That, plus a pencil and a keyboard case - I can now honestly say will end up being my primary device around the house and during travel.
Alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 2:11 PM   #7
holdennutta

I'm not going to bother with the beta but I think they've now done enough to move me to iPad full time as my portable computer.

I have a Surface Pro 3 right now as my portable but I find myself using my iPad Air 1 more than it.
holdennutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 2:30 PM   #8
mmBax

A mate of mine got the beta release and his battery life disappeared.

I think he said he had about an hours usage and it was dropping by the minute.

Anyone else having those problems? It's to be expected to an extent. This was on an iphone 6 I believe.
mmBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 3:36 PM   #9
holdennutta

Battery life always does this for iOS betas.
Old 8th June 2017, 4:30 PM   #10
elvis
Old school old fool

Don't put beta software on the phone you use day to day.
Old 11th June 2017, 6:07 PM   #11
nugget28 Thread Starter

Some small bugs with bluetooth in the control center where you cant turn it on from there.

Battery life is always going to be worse during beta's from all the logging and optimisations to come.

You cant swipe left on notifications to clear them (not sure if this is intended) but you need 3d touch it to bring up a way to dismiss it. Tapping on a text notification now just enables quick reply which is nice.

Im using it as a daily driver and haven't noticed any significant issues at all.
Old 11th June 2017, 6:30 PM   #12
dragonFLAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Don't put beta software on the phone you use day to day.
Pretty much, been using it since release.

Very buggy but they are heading into a new direction which I feel isn't IOS anymore. Dunno what it is but it's not quite right.
dragonFLAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 8:00 PM   #13
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonFLAME View Post
they are heading into a new direction which I feel isn't IOS anymore.
Most analysts have been predicting an eventual merging of Apple's various software platforms. They're claiming macOS/iOS/watchOS will all eventually turn into one OS that crosses all hardware platforms.

Interestingly, every time someone brings it up, Mac fans seem to get pretty upset by the idea (often telling me it'll "never happen" with great certainty). I certainly have no desire for it to happen (I like the difference between phones and computers), but at the same time it's pretty clear to me that it will ultimately go down this path.

Looking over at competitors, Microsoft are already there (regardless of their distant third place in the phone wars, but their tablet sales are increasing). And Android is getting a complete overhaul with a similar "for every device/computer" design goal.

Outside of business, personal computer sales are crashing worldwide. Most home users are moving their personal computing needs to other devices (with OCAU *not* representing the average home user). Phones, tablets, game consoles and even voice controlled assistants are taking those roles away, so it's no surprise that the companies responsible for these things are changing the way their operating systems work to match.
Old 14th June 2017, 11:13 AM   #14
holdennutta

Just ordered 2x 256gb iPad Pro 12.9's for the fiance and myself in anticipation of iOS 11 (and our Air 1's are horribly slow now).

Better live up to the hype!
Old 14th June 2017, 7:28 PM   #15
WJR
(Banned or Deleted)

The beta is working fine on my 7+, no glaring bugs that I've found and it's stable with good battery life. It's a keeper for me.
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote