Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th June 2017, 10:35 AM   #1
synoptica Thread Starter

Default Is there a limit on how long a machine will cache AD creds for offline logon?

Hi all,

Just had a client advise that a machine that's not on the LAN (but domain joined - user is travelling) can no longer log in (W10 Pro). He's only been offline for a week, and has been logging in successfully up until around 24 hours ago (now getting the 'there are no login servers to process this request' message.)

While I'm always inclined to point the finger at user error for login issues, I thought I'd double check in case there's been a change that I've missed.

Is there any restrictions that are on by default (2016 functional level, if that's relevant) that would prevent AD credentials being cached for offline login for more than a week?

Any advice appreciated as always

Last edited by synoptica; 15th June 2017 at 10:43 AM.
synoptica is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th June 2017, 10:57 AM   #2
bcann

Quote:
Originally Posted by synoptica View Post
Hi all,

Just had a client advise that a machine that's not on the LAN (but domain joined - user is travelling) can no longer log in (W10 Pro). He's only been offline for a week, and has been logging in successfully up until around 24 hours ago (now getting the 'there are no login servers to process this request' message.)

While I'm always inclined to point the finger at user error for login issues, I thought I'd double check in case there's been a change that I've missed.

Is there any restrictions that are on by default (2016 functional level, if that's relevant) that would prevent AD credentials being cached for offline login for more than a week?

Any advice appreciated as always
not 100% on win10, but all previous version cached it for basically infinity. there was the tombstone limit on the DC if the say laptop was offline for whatever period it was (60 or 90 days?) that you would have to rejoin it to the domain if you dropped it back onto the network, but if it is permanently offline, it was usually no issue to login on a cached credential.
bcann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 11:00 AM   #3
synoptica Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcann View Post
not 100% on win10, but all previous version cached it for basically infinity. there was the tombstone limit on the DC if the say laptop was offline for whatever period it was (60 or 90 days?) that you would have to rejoin it to the domain if you dropped it back onto the network, but if it is permanently offline, it was usually no issue to login on a cached credential.
Thanks mate - this has always been my experience too. I've had machines offline for literally years that still sign-in using (long since expired) domain credentials.

I can only assume some user error at this point!
Old 15th June 2017, 12:14 PM   #4
bcann

Quote:
Thanks mate - this has always been my experience too. I've had machines offline for literally years that still sign-in using (long since expired) domain credentials.

I can only assume some user error at this point!
i'm guessing wrong username.
bcann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 12:14 PM   #5
PabloEscobar

It will only cache a total of 10 credentials though.

So if you had a situation where you had an offline laptop that needed more than 10 users, you'd need to adjust CachedLogonsCount in the registry.
PabloEscobar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 1:46 PM   #6
synoptica Thread Starter

Quote:
i'm guessing wrong username.
Yeah, that's my suspicion, too. The affected user is being instructed by someone reasonably competent and assures me it's not the case... but yeah, I'm not ruling it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
It will only cache a total of 10 credentials though.

So if you had a situation where you had an offline laptop that needed more than 10 users, you'd need to adjust CachedLogonsCount in the registry.
Definitely not exceeded; the user has been logging on for the past week without issue. They'd have seen three different logins at worst!
Old 15th June 2017, 1:54 PM   #7
EvilGenius

They haven't joined to like hotel wifi or something and have the thing sitting there at a locked screen prompt instead of the login prompt? There a wifi switch on it they can turn off?
Wanted - N64 console - decent controller/s
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 2:16 PM   #8
synoptica Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
They haven't joined to like hotel wifi or something and have the thing sitting there at a locked screen prompt instead of the login prompt? There a wifi switch on it they can turn off?
Even if so, I'd have said the machine would try to reach the DC for the domain to which its joined, and if that fails, fall back to cached creds, right?
Old 15th June 2017, 3:14 PM   #9
g00nster

Quote:
Even if so, I'd have said the machine would try to reach the DC for the domain to which its joined, and if that fails, fall back to cached creds, right?
We've just started using cached creds for surface pro's on win 10 (1703) and when connected to any WiFi it'll fail to use cached creds.

As a workaround we've told staff to disable WiFi (or 4G Modems) until after login.
Old 15th June 2017, 3:40 PM   #10
synoptica Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00nster View Post
We've just started using cached creds for surface pro's on win 10 (1703) and when connected to any WiFi it'll fail to use cached creds.

As a workaround we've told staff to disable WiFi (or 4G Modems) until after login.
Fuck, really? That's really, really stupid. So if you take your laptop home from work, you can't log in if it automatically connects to your WiFi... seriously?

That definitely hasn't been a thing previously, I'm sure of it.
Old 15th June 2017, 3:43 PM   #11
g00nster

Quote:
Fuck, really? That's really, really stupid. So if you take your laptop home from work, you can't log in if it automatically connects to your WiFi... seriously?
I can't confirm if it's supposed to do that, but it does/has for us.
Old 15th June 2017, 8:05 PM   #12
EvilGenius

Quote:
My experience, connected to any network it will fail with cached creds. YMMV, I have no idea how it's *supposed to work.
Wanted - N64 console - decent controller/s
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 12:08 AM   #13
Cthom

Quote:
Seriously, how this can occur.

Same thing happened with me. I'm always inclined to point the finger at user error for login issues, I thought I'd double check in case there's been a change that I've missed.