Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19th June 2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Court Jester Thread Starter
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,544
Default Intel Skylake-X/Kabylake-X (LGA2066) and X299 Chipset Discussion

well Since there is not a thread up about this so far and the reviews are starting to roll in its a good time to start one :


Reviews so far:
https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/20...hipset-revie/1

Anantech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11550/...7-7800x-tested

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-x-sky...x299-platform/
https://videocardz.com/70372/intel-h...review-roundup

It is looking like it is going to firmly beat Ryzen based systems in IPC and OC headroom,
__________________
#itsOKToVoteNO

Last edited by Court Jester; 20th June 2017 at 7:26 AM.
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Supersize
Member
 
Supersize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gold Coast QLD
Posts: 1,413
Default

What concerns me is it's not beating it's Intel counterpart, the 6950x.
Even with a bigger overclock on the 7900x, the 6950x is beating it in gaming.

7900x@ 4.6Ghz Handbrake encode = 53 seconds.
6950x@ 4.4Ghz Handbrake encode = 58 seconds.

It's basically trading blows with it.
Now if the 7900k ends up cheaper than the 6950x it would make sense to go with it.

I'm curious of the 7820x's performance next to the Ryzen 8 core counterparts,
because if the released Intel prices are true it's going to cost more than the 1800x (probably have way less memory compatibility problems though..lol).

In saying that I myself will probably end up with one over a Ryzen build due to the 1080p gaming performance, I want to sit on my GTX1080/1080p@144hz until Volta drops anyway.

Next week we will hopefully see a full range of the new CPU's tested.

Last edited by Supersize; 19th June 2017 at 12:03 PM.
Supersize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Court Jester Thread Starter
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersize View Post
What concerns me is it's not beating it's Intel counterpart, the 6950x.
Even with a bigger overclock on the 7900x, the 6950x is beating it in gaming.

7900x@ 4.6Ghz Handbrake encode = 53 seconds.
6950x@ 4.4Ghz Handbrake encode = 58 seconds.

It's basically trading blows with it.
Now if the 7900k ends up cheaper than the 6950x it would make sense to go with it.

I'm curious of the 7820x's performance next to the Ryzen 8 core counterparts,
because if the released Intel prices are true it's going to cost more than the 1800x (probably have way less memory compatibility problems though..lol).

In saying that I myself will probably end up with one over a Ryzen build due to the 1080p gaming performance, I want to sit on my GTX1080/1080p@144hz until Volta drops anyway.

Next week we will hopefully see a full range of the new CPU's tested.

I ahve my eye on the i7-7800 -- 6 Intel cores @ 4.5ghz+ should give a 8 core ryzen(even 4ghz) a run for its money at that price. considering single thread performance on teh Intel is 15%+++ better

Just waiting for preorders here to open and board prices to see what they are like.
__________________
#itsOKToVoteNO
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:27 PM   #4
OJR
Member
 
OJR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,674
Default

What the hell is a Sandy Skylake?

If you're going to start a circle jerk fanboy post, at least get the title right.
OJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:30 PM   #5
thecondor
Member
 
thecondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,288
Default

"So, we've established that the Core i9-7900X is potentially a great overclocker and has superb performance at stock speed too, but what about Intel versus AMD? Well, in games such as Fallout 4, there's still very little difference. The Ryzen 7 1800X was a little slower in Ashes of the Singularity and Deus Ex, even when overclocked. However, the real question is value. The Core i9-7900X is more than twice the price of the Ryzen 7 1800X, yet in Terragen 4, Cinebench, and HandBrake and in games, it's far from being twice as fast. In fact, the deficits are almost exactly what we'd expect from a two-core/four-thread deficit.
"

Maybe you should have read this piece from the exact review you linked.

So you are going to pay twice as much for slightly better performace? TAKE MY MONEY.
thecondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Dragonfly
Member
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
I ahve my eye on the i7-7800 -- 6 Intel cores @ 4.5ghz+ should give a 8 core ryzen(even 4ghz) a run for its money at that price. considering single thread performance on teh Intel is 15%+++ better
15%+++ lol okay.
__________________
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB GSkill Ripjaws | Asus Strix GTX1060 | Corsair RM650X PSU | Fractal Define C | Asus VG248QE & Dell U2412M
DesignInfusion
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:41 PM   #7
Bertross
Member
 
Bertross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melb, CBD
Posts: 12,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
15%+++ lol okay.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OJR View Post
What the hell is a Sandy Skylake?

If you're going to start a circle jerk fanboy post, at least get the title right.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thecondor View Post
"So, we've established that the Core i9-7900X is potentially a great overclocker and has superb performance at stock speed too, but what about Intel versus AMD? Well, in games such as Fallout 4, there's still very little difference. The Ryzen 7 1800X was a little slower in Ashes of the Singularity and Deus Ex, even when overclocked. However, the real question is value. The Core i9-7900X is more than twice the price of the Ryzen 7 1800X, yet in Terragen 4, Cinebench, and HandBrake and in games, it's far from being twice as fast. In fact, the deficits are almost exactly what we'd expect from a two-core/four-thread deficit.
"

Maybe you should have read this piece from the exact review you linked.

So you are going to pay twice as much for slightly better performace? TAKE MY MONEY.
and again

16 cores from AMD for $850 USD any day of the week, who cares about IPC when you have 16 cores with 64 lanes.... Woooo
__________________

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700 3.9GHZ+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB CORSAIR VEN 3200 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TG | EVGA SUPERNNOVA 750
DELL U3415W 34" | WACOM CINTIQ 24HD | IPAD PRO 12.9"+PENCIL

Last edited by Bertross; 19th June 2017 at 12:45 PM.
Bertross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:46 PM   #8
Dragonfly
Member
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,260
Default

Anyway I think it's hard to get excited about X299 when AMD has Threadripper on the horizon. Most people would be waiting and seeing how it compares to that.
__________________
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB GSkill Ripjaws | Asus Strix GTX1060 | Corsair RM650X PSU | Fractal Define C | Asus VG248QE & Dell U2412M
DesignInfusion
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Bertross
Member
 
Bertross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melb, CBD
Posts: 12,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Anyway I think it's hard to get excited about X299 when AMD has Threadripper on the horizon. Most people would be waiting and seeing how it compares to that.
Their is absolutely nothing to be excited about intel at all. In any regions of their CPU release for the next 12 months. Coffee lake, what a joke. Might as well cancel it.

Bring on Threadripper
__________________

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700 3.9GHZ+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB CORSAIR VEN 3200 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TG | EVGA SUPERNNOVA 750
DELL U3415W 34" | WACOM CINTIQ 24HD | IPAD PRO 12.9"+PENCIL
Bertross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:54 PM   #10
Supersize
Member
 
Supersize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gold Coast QLD
Posts: 1,413
Default

And then you have people like me who want something to last longer than 12 months stuck in the "what's going to be better in the long run" zone.

I don't want to muck around with memory tweaking like what has to happen with Ryzen build, I can buy some 3200Mhz DDR4 wack it in and it works at 3200Mhz on Intel.
A simple all core +100Mhz overclock and just know it'll work.

Shit's me how Intel has cheaped out with the Thermal paste and not solder to save a buck.

I'd love to see Threadripper in action, never buy one though overkill for me.

Have to give AMD a for getting Intel to drop their prices though, I could bet my left nut they would of had the pricing as high as they did for Broadwell-E.
Supersize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 1:01 PM   #11
OJR
Member
 
OJR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,674
Default

They haven't though. Their whole line up is a mess from pricing to feature set.
OJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 1:17 PM   #12
Supersize
Member
 
Supersize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gold Coast QLD
Posts: 1,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJR View Post
They haven't though. Their whole line up is a mess from pricing to feature set.
The Kabylake X is weird, why would they even bother, unless they know they screwed up the current z270/Kabylake line (Temp spike is something common).
I don't buy this "buy 4 core Kabylake now, upgrade to more cores later" bullshit.

I've just been researching at lot lately for my July build, what puts me off Ryzen a bit if the "roll of the dice luck" when it comes to memory even now.
Heck I've seen people having problems with the 3200Mhz Flare-X getting them to run at the rated speed.

I just know that it will on a Intel platform.

Time will tell though, but from seeing the early 7900x benchmarks, it's nothing to get excited about over Broadwell-E
Supersize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 1:23 PM   #13
Court Jester Thread Starter
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
15%+++ lol okay.

Absoluty more in certain scenarios

here: https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/20...hipset-revie/4

Cpu Z single thread

The stock performance is 12.5% better single threaded

the overclocked performance vs overclocked performance is 18% better than the 1800X

and here: https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/20...hipset-revie/5

Cine bench R15

Single threaded performance stock vs stock the intel is ahead of the Ryzen by 19%

Overclocked vs overclocked the Intel CPu is ahead of the 1800x by 23%

so its massive single threaded advantage is in some cases well over 15% difference
__________________
#itsOKToVoteNO
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 1:27 PM   #14
Court Jester Thread Starter
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Anyway I think it's hard to get excited about X299 when AMD has Threadripper on the horizon. Most people would be waiting and seeing how it compares to that.
we know how rougly how thread ripper will perform there are no changes to the core / IPC so will be like adding more cores to Ryzen

I am not interested in 16 cores or spending over $1k AUD on a CPU the 6 core 7800 will be the best bang for ya buck I believe, the reviews I believe will show it beating a 1800X soundly for a much lower cost and the word on the street is newer BIOSes add to this performance we are seeing here which we will see in the "Intel sanctioned" reviews
__________________
#itsOKToVoteNO

Last edited by Court Jester; 19th June 2017 at 1:30 PM.
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 1:40 PM   #15
Dragonfly
Member
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
Absoluty more in certain scenarios
Are you talking about the 7900X vs the 1800X? You are comparing a $1000 USD cpu to one that costs $460 USD. Are you saying the 6 core CPU will have the same performance as the 10 core?
__________________
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB GSkill Ripjaws | Asus Strix GTX1060 | Corsair RM650X PSU | Fractal Define C | Asus VG248QE & Dell U2412M
DesignInfusion

Last edited by Dragonfly; 19th June 2017 at 1:42 PM.
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!