Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Old 22nd June 2017, 7:21 PM   #1
Dark Orange Thread Starter

Default Anyone with a Canon mount 50mm ART in Sydney?

I have a Canon 50/1.2 that I love. Looking for someone with a Canon mount Sigma 50mm ART for a little playful lens-swapping while wandering around Sydney this weekend.

Anyone keen?

(Also have a 24-70/2.8-II if someone has an equivalent.)
Dark Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 4:03 PM   #2
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

I have one i would be interested in some play swapping, mainly for me i would like to test the focus on my new 5DIV as im having a little inconsistency with the Sigma on the new body.

Problem is ive got a newborn and im up near Frenches Forest, if you were willing to head up here i would be interested in a temporary trade, even for more than a weekend if you wanted.
Old 7th July 2017, 8:29 PM   #3
metalrain

Just a head's up, you can use that Sigma USB Dock to set auto focusing micro adjustments on any of their ART lenses and newer. Might be a handy purchase imho.

metalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 9:30 AM   #4
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

I have the dock, actually found it made things worse in consistency on the MKIV. Will give it another try down the line, things are "ok" at the moment with all lens change turned off and minor in camera ajustments, just not at ~90% i would like to see.
Had it working so well on my 6D, adjusted with the dock, no in camera micro adjustments and AMAAAAAZING.
Im sure ill get there in the end, its worth it just for the quality of the lens, nothing like it ive ever seen.

Last edited by Danthemanz; 9th July 2017 at 9:33 AM.
Danthemanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 5:42 PM   #5
metalrain

Maybe there's an updated lens firmware for newer bodies?

metalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 6:48 PM   #6
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

Not as of yet, im running the latest.
Old 13th July 2017, 4:51 PM   #7
Dark Orange Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthemanz View Post
Problem is ive got a newborn and im up near Frenches Forest, if you were willing to head up here i would be interested in a temporary trade, even for more than a weekend if you wanted.
Even bigger problem than that - I am now down in Tassie, with no plans on coming back that way any time soon.
Dark Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 8:04 PM   #8
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

Lol, that is a bigger problem.

Oh well, would have liked to try the 24-70 II also
Old 16th July 2017, 12:06 AM   #9
Deftone2k
In the Darkroom

Quote:
Not as of yet, im running the latest.
Keep an eye on your 5D4 as my AF keeps going out and needing to go to Canon for repair. If you see softness creep in across different lenses when not focusing through Live View then its worth looking at.
Deftone2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 9:21 AM   #10
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone2k View Post
Keep an eye on your 5D4 as my AF keeps going out and needing to go to Canon for repair. If you see softness creep in across different lenses when not focusing through Live View then its worth looking at.
Do you know what Canon Australia would do with a gray import? Would they just charge me or turn me away?

It started off quite ridiculous. Ive managed to get some normality with the Canon 135mm F2 and 85mm F1.8.
My Sigma 50MM and 35mm ART after many hours work are about 50-60% of the time on target, useable but bloody annoying and quite scary for paid work.
Ive put my Tamron 24-70 F2.8 in its box, totally useless, waiting to hear back from the Tamron repairer.
Old 18th July 2017, 9:46 AM   #11
Deftone2k
In the Darkroom

Quote:
Do you know what Canon Australia would do with a gray import? Would they just charge me or turn me away?

It started off quite ridiculous. Ive managed to get some normality with the Canon 135mm F2 and 85mm F1.8.
My Sigma 50MM and 35mm ART after many hours work are about 50-60% of the time on target, useable but bloody annoying and quite scary for paid work.
Ive put my Tamron 24-70 F2.8 in its box, totally useless, waiting to hear back from the Tamron repairer.
They would potentially just charge you to fix it.. or get a quote at least. I usually just go to Sun Studios to their CPS desk there. Having said that, it doesnt hurt to call up and talk to them and describe what you are seeing and see what they say.

Mine was a bit of a saga in repair as it happened after I had the Power PCB replaced after it died completely at the start of a shoot.

So I loved how snappy the AF was on mine and I shot about 15-20k photos with it and it was mostly good. It would sometimes just be a bit here or there on a frame or two but figured that it was just usual Canon quirks. I always micro adjust my lenses and keep records of it when I do it every 6-8 weeks. There were some slight adjustments but I did notice some lenses were bang on and then wildly off.

Anyway after the power PCB was fixed I gave it a good test and it seemed back to normal and shot a wedding with it and it behaved very well (still had a 5d3 I shot alongside). I then shot another wedding with it the week after and it was a little different as there was no prep I started at the ceremony which was full sun/outdoors/very contrasty and it behaved really well, then I did the bridal photos right after and it was good and then went in for the reception and it started getting really sloppy with AF. I could see it lock on and then on review it just looked soft. I thought maybe ive bumped my lens but I swapped a few and it was the same thing. So I switched to my backup body and all of the 'soft' glass was performing perfectly. When I had a free 5mins that night I gave it a test, If I focused on Live View it would be snappy and sharp and accurate and if I shot anything through the VF it would be like pudding.

Turns out it was the mirror flange or something out of alignment (once it did get repaired).

The fix was fast (a few days), but the repair notes did say it had to be dismantled and reassembled. Its been good now for a while (touch wood), I shot an elopement in Iceland over a few weeks with it and it performed well and I shot on an Adelaide roadtrip for the past couple of weeks and it behaved. I still mostly use my 5d3's at weddings (so keep a spare if you have one still). Will give it another good once over and adjustment before it goes into workhorse duties.

Last edited by Deftone2k; 18th July 2017 at 9:54 AM.
Deftone2k is online now   Reply With Quote