Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 2nd August 2017, 9:39 AM   #1
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Default Retro Let's Play Early August 2017: "Wiz 'n' Liz" (1993)

Retro Let's Play Early August 2017: "Wiz 'n' Liz: The Frantic Wabbit Wescue".

Written by British development house Raising Hell Software (now known as Bizarre Creations - famous for their "Project Gotham" and "Blur" games more recently) and published by Psygnosis in 1993.

Click here if you want to know what this is and why we're doing it.

Wiz 'n' Liz is a super fast platform "collect-em-up", where you play one of either Wiz or Liz, two little wizards who must race around levels collecting "Wabbits" in a strict time limit.

The action is frantic, and your biggest enemy is time, with no other real enemies or spikes/pits/hazards common to other games of the era (with the exception of a couple of large end bosses, but these still aren't typical). Once enough wabbits are collected, you can exit a level and take on the next stage. Bonuses can be picked up for extra time, and between levels are a number of amusing mini games.

The game quite impressively offers split-screen two player, and manages to keep up the incredible pace even in that mode.

The game was released for Amiga and Megadrive (common for European games of the era, based on both systems' popularity as well as similar hardware - something we're seeing more of again in an all-x86 gaming world today between PCs and consoles).

More information here:

* HG101 - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wiznliz/wiznliz.htm
* Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiz_%27n%27_Liz

Play it in your browser for free (Sega Megadrive/Genesis version):
* https://archive.org/details/sg_Wiz_n...3_Psygnosis_US

Box art:

Video long play:

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd August 2017, 9:44 AM   #2
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Nominated by forum user Grant:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...71&postcount=4

Please, let us know why you've nominated it. Likewise anyone who voted for it, let us know why.

I myself voted for this one. It got rave reviews back in the day, and was noted for both the incredible speed and very non-standard gameplay compared to every other boring mascot platformer of the day. I've never played it, so I'm looking forward to firing it up this week and having a go.
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:20 PM   #3
DonutKing

This is actually a fun little game. It's kind of addictive and the graphics/animation is nice too. Mega drive version is my pick.

If anyone remembers, they used to play this on Agro's Cartoon Connection, they would get a kid on stage to play for the highest score to win prizes.
Old 3rd August 2017, 7:01 AM   #4
Grant

I remember renting this for the Mega Drive from the video shop and having no idea what was going on. Once things started going weird with the crafting I thought I'd done something to get it into some kind of debug mode - the Sonic games in debug mode were my introduction to sandbox games, and this was just as weird.

I always wanted to get back to it to give it a proper go, the Psygnosis games were always memorable on the Amiga and I knew it was highly rated. It's always been on my backlog though, until now
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 6:31 PM   #5
MUTMAN

I'm just watching the long play vid. What a mad game, seems like sonic on speed ...
best i dont start playing this one until i'm next on holidays
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 9:21 PM   #6
Grant

The comparison to Sonic is spot on, I mean the first point every review of a 16-bit Sonic makes is that it's more about platforming than the suggested speed, but this is all about speed. Replace the wizards with a blue hedgehog and you'd have something worthy of the character design

The tight wrapping levels mean that with the higher speeds you can basically memorise the whole thing, and play by feeling alone - the final dash to a door can usually be done with your eyes closed.

The controls, jump variation, and air control are all great too - just as tight as Super Meat Boy or any other modern platformer

Now I have to grab a guide and start using the fruit shop a bit more.
Old 12th August 2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Grant

Played a bit of the Amiga version to compare, the graphics aren't as good and it feels a little slower, so I prefer the Mega Drive one overall. The soundtrack is completely different though, can't say it's really better or worse though. Normally Amiga versions had better music because it was sample-based, but the synthesised music on the MD version is top-notch
Old 13th August 2017, 1:43 PM   #8
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Played a bit of the Amiga version to compare, the graphics aren't as good and it feels a little slower, so I prefer the Mega Drive one overall. The soundtrack is completely different though, can't say it's really better or worse though. Normally Amiga versions had better music because it was sample-based, but the synthesised music on the MD version is top-notch
Lots of reviews have said the same. The general rule always was that if an Amiga game came up against a Megadrive port, the Amiga version was always better thanks to the identical main CPU but far superior audio hardware on the Amiga.

This game seems to be an exception to that rule.