Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Google Android (OS & Devices)

Notices

Old 2nd August 2017, 4:39 PM   #1
StreekG Thread Starter

Default Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Well i figured if nobody has posted about it yet, i might as well considering it's pretty big news.

https://www.finder.com.au/hmd-global...-5-and-nokia-6

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/phones/nokia/

With HMD Global buying the rights to make phones under the NOKIA brand, i would've thought the android forum would be bustling with talk.

I've known about this since the beginning of the year, and now phones are finally on the market in Australia

We have 3 models so far, the Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6. Entry level to midrange models with VERY attractive prices to boot. However i am waiting for the Nokia 8 flagship which will be unveiled this month for a 2017 launch!
I've checked out the 3 models at JB Hifi yesterday and they look pretty nice and the girl there said they have been selling like mad in the week they've had them in stock, even after i told her i wasn't interested in those models, only the flagship

Selling points for me are
Nokia build quality inc Precision milled aluminium frames, highly focused on drop tests, and from the reviews, these phones are coming out on top.
Vanilla Android Nougat, no bloatware, regular updates not controlled by Telcos.

I am currently a Windows Phone user, i have been using WP since WP8 was launched and since, i've had about 4 different models. Now that Microsoft aren't making Windows Phones any more, i've decided that i will need to make the jump, i don't really like Apple as i have an Iphone 7 work phone, but i do run an Samsung Android tablet for games and i love it.

I was a huge Nokia fan and also a Windows Phone guy, but Nokia really shot themselves in the foot by comitting only to Windows Phone. I feel strongly that HMD Global are going to do great things with Nokia, and their vision is to be in the top 5 for smart phones in the next few years.
Case: NZXT H630 CPU: Intel i7 6850K. Cooling: Custom CPU Loop. Motherboard: MSI X99a Gaming Pro Carbon. RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @2666. GFX: MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning . Power: Seasonic XP-1050 Platinum OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 Snake Edition Cherry Red Mouse: Steelseries Sensei
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD \ WD 1TB Caviar Black

Last edited by StreekG; 2nd August 2017 at 4:43 PM.
StreekG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 4:50 PM   #2
Stooge007

they look pretty much like most china phones these days?

priced well and fairly well spec'd for the money

should sell well

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 5:13 PM   #3
WJR
(Banned or Deleted)

Looks decent for the price, nice to see Nokia back the game.
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 5:19 PM   #4
Havabigjuan

Nokia 8 sounds interesting...or whatever they are gonna call it
Old 3rd August 2017, 9:31 AM   #5
NismoR31

They're too new in the market to really know how they're going to hold up. Nokia is literally a brand name only. The company that used to be Nokia doesn't exist.

I've been keeping an eye on their progress, but until they've been out a while and subject to a lot of real-world use I won't be considering getting one.
NismoR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 9:35 AM   #6
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post
They're too new in the market to really know how they're going to hold up. Nokia is literally a brand name only. The company that used to be Nokia doesn't exist.

I've been keeping an eye on their progress, but until they've been out a while and subject to a lot of real-world use I won't be considering getting one.
yeah it's just some company weekend at bernieing the corpse of a brand.

take the device on it's merits and not the brand it's wearing otherwise you might end up with a speaker hat.
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:23 AM   #7
StreekG Thread Starter

Good points guys, for me i feel confident on their abilities given that HMD are formed of ex Nokia employees, i think the phones will hold up.

Since Windows Phone 8 was launched i've always been happy to be a guinea pig for these kind of things. Mainly because i follow a individual approach with phones, don't like being part of the pack and have the same phone as everyone else.
Case: NZXT H630 CPU: Intel i7 6850K. Cooling: Custom CPU Loop. Motherboard: MSI X99a Gaming Pro Carbon. RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @2666. GFX: MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning . Power: Seasonic XP-1050 Platinum OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 Snake Edition Cherry Red Mouse: Steelseries Sensei
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:06 PM   #8
SnooP-WiggleS

Heads up the nokia 5/6 is one of the most durable phones on the market, possibly ever. Good repairability too. Feels very solid. Runs an almost stock android so it's quite responsive/fast even though it's a midrange chipset. Finally Australia is getting more options for midrange phones that aren't months behind the overseas release and 1 or 2 versions of android behind.

Drop test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYasmMSY3wA

Teardown showing the metal frame sandwich construction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M3Budnl3aI&vl=en

edit: by durable I mean drops/falls, not waterproofness so keep that in mind

Last edited by SnooP-WiggleS; 3rd August 2017 at 12:10 PM.
SnooP-WiggleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 1:01 PM   #9
SuiCid3

Noticed these in JB a few weeks back.
Looks and feels decent. Running on Android as well.
Old 7th August 2017, 2:00 PM   #10
Sankari

Arrow

Finnish company, founded by Nokia execs, based in Finland, located next door to Nokia, uses official Nokia designs, and Carl Zeiss lenses. We're talking genuine Nokia here, not Chinese knock-offs.

Quote:
HMD Global Oy, branded as simply HMD, is a Finnish company affiliated with Nokia. Operating since December 2016, the firm develops and markets smartphones and feature phones under the "Nokia" brand name.

...HMD is made up of former Nokia executives. The CEO was Arto Nummela, a Nokia veteran for 17 years, until July 2017 when President Florian Seiche took over as acting CEO. It is headquartered in Espoo, opposite Nokia's head office. Manufacturing is outsourced to a division of Foxconn.

Whilst Nokia itself does not directly invest in HMD, it has a board member representative, sets mandatory requirements, and receives royalty payments for patents.

...On 6 July 2017 HMD partnered with Carl Zeiss AG to provide camera lens optics to Nokia smartphones. Nokia previously used Zeiss optics from 2005 to 2014 which resulted in high-quality cameras.

On 27 July 2017, HMD purchased 500 design patents from Microsoft Mobile that were originally created by Nokia. One notable patent is the Lumia Camera UI, which had been highly praised by critics since appearing on the Nokia Lumia 1020.
(Source).

Build quality will be best on the market, as usual. My biggest problem with their new phones is the physical home button. Nobody needs that crap. Also, why the low resolutions?
My movie reviews.

Last edited by Sankari; 7th August 2017 at 2:02 PM.
Sankari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 2:12 PM   #11
SnooP-WiggleS

The home button is a fingerprint sensor so I don't see a big problem there, still the most common placement. The nokia 6 has a fullhd screen, already over the top in reality of what your eye can see. As far as nokia 5/3, personally I've found 1280x720 is sharp/crisp enough for phone size screens and gives better battery life.
Old 7th August 2017, 2:49 PM   #12
Sankari

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnooP-WiggleS View Post
The home button is a fingerprint sensor so I don't see a big problem there, still the most common placement. The nokia 6 has a fullhd screen, already over the top in reality of what your eye can see. As far as nokia 5/3, personally I've found 1280x720 is sharp/crisp enough for phone size screens and gives better battery life.
^^ Fair points.

Nokia 6 can be picked up for $335 on ebay. That is crazy cheap.

48g lighter than my One Max, with a marginally smaller screen size and no infra-red. Could end up being my new phone, unless HTC does something amazing in the next 6 months.
My movie reviews.
Sankari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 3:16 PM   #13
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge007 View Post
they look pretty much like most china phones these days?

priced well and fairly well spec'd for the money

should sell well
I'll agree with the first statement. The 2nd only in the concept that it's sold locally here it's a good price.

They fall flat to what was originally promised:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1212345

The current flagship is only barely on spec with my redmi 4 I bought last year for cheaper.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 1:01 AM   #14
Hater

Mmmm.

Not feeling these new devices, they just feel like boring middle tier Android meh.

The first release Lumia 800 and 900 were spectacular and exciting, these are... not.
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 9:13 AM   #15
StreekG Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hater View Post
Mmmm.

Not feeling these new devices, they just feel like boring middle tier Android meh.

The first release Lumia 800 and 900 were spectacular and exciting, these are... not.
I think HMD/Nokia are doing this on purpose to capture some market first.
From what i've been hearing, these entry level-mid tier models are selling very well, with the flagship Nokia 8 being release middle of this month.
The thing to remember is that something like the Nokia 8 which will have quite strong hardware (Snapdragon 835, high ram) on release, seems like it's going to be a sub $1,000 phone. That's a huge win. The current flagships from Samsung and Apple are getting rediculous now.