Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Old 17th August 2017, 11:09 PM   #1
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Lightbulb Retro Let's Play Late August 2017: "Klonoa: Door to Phantomile" (1997)

Retro Let's Play Late August 2017: "Klonoa: Door to Phantomile"

Written and published by Namco (now Namco Bandai) in 1997.

Click here if you want to know what this is and why we're doing it.

After the 16 bit era, the world grew pretty tired of Mascot Platformers. We had our Marios and Sonics, and from there everything just got very samey, with a million clone characters that all just failed to do anything original, and just tried to out-sass each other with faux gritty 90's attitude who only served to irritate gamers.

Then an odd title showed up in the shape of Klonoa for the original Playstation. Playing less like the newer 32bit all-3D Mario, Sonic Adventure or Crash Bandicoot games and returning to side-scrolling 2D (using 3D effects more for visuals than anything), Klonoa was a throwback to games more like the previous 16 bit generation, only not terrible.

Sharing mechanics similar to the US "Super Mario Brothers 2" (or it's Japanese counterpart "Doki Doki Panic"), "Yoshi's Island", "Ristar" or "Mischief Makers", you control the rabbit-like main title character Klonoa, travelling through the game grabbing enemies and throwing them about to progress through the maps. And while the mechanics were nothing new, the game stood out at the time with good reviews and great sales, noted for it's good quality classic feel.

The game was originally released on the original Playstation, but had a remake for the Nintendo Wii in 2008 with near-identical gameplay and updated graphics.

Sequels came along later on, and managed to keep the momentum of the first title with equally good reviews. "Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil" was released in 2002 for Playstation 2.

These series also saw a number of handheld titles in parallel as an all-2D pixel art series. "Kaze no Klonoa: Moonlight Museum" appeared on the short-lived Bandai Wonderswan in 1999. Then the team switched to the Gameboy Advance, and released "Klonoa: Empire of Dreams" appeared in 2001, and its sequel "Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament" landed in 2002.

We'll be focussing on the Playstation original and/or Wii remake in this thread, but if you've played any of the others (mentioned here, or other's I've skipped), let us know what platforms you've played them on, and what you think.

More information here:

* Hardcore Gaming 101: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/klonoa/klonoa.htm
* Retronauts #70: https://archive.org/details/Retronau...d+Memories.mp3
* Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klonoa..._to_Phantomile

Box Art:

Longplay Video:

Last edited by elvis; 17th August 2017 at 11:15 PM.
elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 6:15 PM   #2
breech

I didn't know this existed! Def have to check it out, I love Kaze no Klonoa - Moonlight Museum for Wonderswan.
breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 7:45 PM   #3
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by breech View Post
I didn't know this existed! Def have to check it out, I love Kaze no Klonoa - Moonlight Museum for Wonderswan.
Keen to hear your comparison of it to any of the others in the series.
Old 18th August 2017, 8:53 PM   #4
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

If anyone has problems playing this, please PM me.
Old 21st August 2017, 10:16 AM   #5
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Playing this via an emulator currently, until I can get it up and running on real hardware (upcoming weekend project). Playing PSX games on an emulator is always ugly, and the sound is always pretty awful too. Hopefully on real hardware it looks and sounds a bit nicer.

I expected to enjoy this a lot more, but I'm struggling to get into it. Perhaps this is just one of those titles that was good at the time, but has aged poorly.

I'll try and track down a couple of the GBA titles and compare. From screenshots and videos at least, they look a bit more evolved.