Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Old 23rd August 2017, 5:57 PM   #1
Ratzz Thread Starter

Default DELIDDING + LIQUID METAL. IS IT WORTH IT?

The short answer is yes. Keep in mind though that delidding voids your warranty.

This is basically a little spiel to demonstrate the effectiveness of delidding a Kaby chip and relidding with liquid metal. I've done quite a few(dozens) of these now, its pretty much the first thing I do to a chip, before even trying it at stock usually.

I admit to having been a doubting Thomas at some point, it was my opinion that all brand name TIM was pretty much equal. I stand by that opinion for IHS<->heatsink, but when delidding, the first time I used liquid metal was the end of using anything else under the IHS. It is just that good.

I'd attempted to make a video of the entire delidding process. I was quite proud of myself, kept it logical and managed to not say ummm too many times. It took 40 minutes to convert a stock, very hot 7700K into a delidded beast, fitted and overclocked.

Then I discovered my DSLR only takes 20 minute videos.. oops !! So a video will have to wait for the next chip I do. Nobody wants to see half a video..

Before and after delidding, I ran a few benches on the same gear to compare apples with apples.

The bench consists of an Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, a single stick of Trident Z (8GB @ XMP 3733), a Silverstone 750W bronze PSU, a cheap SSD running Win 10 Pro, and a 120mm AIO (Corsair H60) with one fan at default speeds. I've also put a 120mm Fractal case fan over the board for the ram and VRM's, since there is no airflow on an open bench. I've used a little 2GB Asus fanless GT710 for the GPU, just to avoid using the IGP more than any other reason.

If you are interested, the monitor is a 15" 12v/3w TV, which I've cut the wall wart off and wired the original connector to a molex. Its running off the PSU.... Everything else is wireless, so the only cord that needs to leave the case is the power cord for the PSU. The worlds chunkiest laptop

This chip belongs to Juzz86. He just wants a 5GHz daily gamer, but the chip is way too hot for that, without delidding.

All of the screenshots are 15 minutes of XTU stress test, with no AVX offset. Ambient is 19.3c for all runs (heated room). I've used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut between IHS and water block, and Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for the delid, between the CPU die and IHS. Metal contacts under the IHS were protected using Liquid Electrical Tape. The IHS was reattached with a thin smear of ordinary bathroom silicon on each edge (after first removing the original adhesive).

So for reference, on this particular board, with this cooler, etc.. I began by running the stock chip at 5GHz, looking for the lowest volts it would pass XTU for 15 minutes with. That turned out to be a disappointing 1.3v, and temps are way too high for that voltage.

50/45 @ 1.3v
Max temps across all cores = 69-74c

I thought I would push it along a little, and see how high I could make it go without it exploding.
I experimented with multiple voltages, this is the best I could do to get these speeds.
I did get about 8 minutes into a 5.3GHz run until the test failed, at 1.5v and with temps in the 90's on all cores. At no point did the CPU throttle though.

51/45 @ 1.35v
Max temps across all cores = 74-79c

52/45 @ 1.42v
Max temps across all cores = 79-88c

OK, so we have a reference set.

Now, delidded. Still with all factors identical, apart from the delidding.

I started with the 5GHz/1.3v run as before.

Delidded - 50/45 @ 1.3v

Max temps across all cores = 56-61c (vs 69-74c without delidding
)

Delidded - 51/45 @ 1.35v

Max temps across all cores = 60-70c (vs 74-79c without delidding)

Delidded - 52/45 @ 1.42v

Max temps across all cores = 67-72c (vs 79-88c without delidding)

So now to try for 53x, which although I could get running, would not pass 15 minutes of XTU and was hitting temps in the 90's across all cores without delidding... so I don't have a result for the stock chip at all. Note that I was pushing 1.5v into that effort too, XTU just crashed instantly the stress test started with any lower volts than that.

Delidded - 53/45 @ 1.48v

Max temps across all cores = 69-81c

I did try 54x, also @ 1.48v, but it crashed 11 minutes into the 15 minute stress test. Temps were ~75-85. no throttling.

I believe that if I were to stick the chip into my good rig, with a better mobo and moarad, I could have got the temps down another 5 and easily made 54x. I may even try later... The Z170i Pro Gaming isn't a bad board, but its a weakling compared to my Z270i Strix, and of course a custom 280mm loop with a Raystorm Pro is going to cool better than a H60. Remember, all of these benches are done with a pissy little 120mm H60 with fan and pump speeds running at default.

Quote:
EDIT: I did exactly this. A screenshot of the chip passing XTU @ 54/45x can be found in post #9. Another screenshot of the chip passing XTU @ 54x101/45x101 can be found in post #25. That became 5445MHz, although for 54x101 I would have expected 5454 just calculated mathematically.

Another thing to note here: With the stock chip, I spent some time getting the best volts/overclock. With the delidded chip, I simply duplicated everything. Justin will discover that he can get these clocks at lower volts as well, I just didn't try as I wanted to compare apples to apples.

My personal opinion for some time is that efficiency on Kaby suffers once you get much past about 65c. If you can keep temps under that, then major performance gains can be had.

To prove the point.. I did start playing with the voltages @ 50x, as Justin wants a 5GHz daily, so those are the important numbers.

Keep in mind that stock, the chip would not pass XTU at less than 1.3v. That's because temps across all cores ranged from 69-74c IMHO. Get the temps to below 65 and the miracle begins to happen...

Delidded 50/45 @ 1.28v

Max temps across all cores = 54-61c

Delidded 50/45 @ 1.26v

Max temps across all cores = 50-59c

Delidded 50/45 @ 1.24v

Max temps across all cores = 51-58c

Delidded 50/45 @ 1.22v

Max temps across all cores = 50-53c

I tried again at 1.20v but the test failed about 5 minutes in, so I bumped it back up to 1.21v.

Delidded 50/45 @ 1.21v

Max temps across all cores = 48-54c

Compare this with the original best I could do with the stock chip. 1.3v with temps of 69-74c

OF COURSE, RESULTS WILL VARY ACCORDING TO YOUR INDIVIDUAL CHIP, BUT A 15-20C IMPROVEMENT IS A REASONABLE EXPECTATION FROM MOST CHIPS.

I hope this post has been useful to someone I particularly hope Juzz86 is impressed

Some video.

In the absence of another 7700K to delid right now, I've gone a bit silly and delidded a Celeron G3930. Please forgive my calling the bloody thing a Pentium several times in the video. Also, for some reason I called TIM Thermal Insulation Material when of course I meant to say Thermal Interface Material. Insulation would be undesirable

You may notice my delid tool is somewhat scarred, its done a bit of work.

As it wears, the front of the silicon lifts higher.. watch carefully as the vice is closed.

This never used to happen.. I usually just hold it down with my thumb on the bench vise, but I need both hands with the portable vise. Keeping it flat is necessary, it might be time for me to invest in another tool. I'm actually thinking that might be a reason for the underwhelming noise when it popped.

This is simply the delid process. I'll do this in several parts, for easier uploading and downloading, and because I'm lazy

The crap on my hands is what happens when liquid nitrogen contacts skin..

Since I thought the 'crack' was a bit underwhelming, I managed to snatch a chunk of the original failed video, and the noise the 7700K made when it let go...

Applying the liquid metal.

Relidding.

OK, its a Celeron and won't overclock. I can however hit it with the big hammer which is Prime 95. I did so, and after one hour of small FFT's on Prime 95 @ Ambient 19.3c, one core maxed out at 30 and the other maxed out at 31. I wish I'd done a 'Before' test now...

You can find a screenshot of this in post #43.

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.

Last edited by Ratzz; 26th August 2017 at 1:29 PM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 7:24 PM   #2
terroristone

direct core with liquid metal ive been doing it for years now. Even on my gpu's.

Love the stuff.

Awesome post, well done.

T1
Haswell 4790k@4.5 - MSI Z97 GAMING 5- GSKILL 2933 - MSI VEGA 64 WATER - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 - ACER XR341CK - AX1500I - CUSTOM HARD TUBE WATERCOOLED GPU&CPU - 750D - NIGHTHAWK X9 - G502
System Pic
terroristone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 7:31 PM   #3
wolfie81

Is it worth delidding if you're on a big chunky air cooler?

Im currently 4.8 on my 6700k chip on auto settings for voltage. Seems to be stable with temps around 30-40 at idle.
wolfie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 7:42 PM   #4
Ratzz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terroristone View Post
direct core with liquid metal ive been doing it for years now. Even on my gpu's.

Love the stuff.

Awesome post, well done.

T1
Thanks

I just wish I'd checked to see if the video had a time limiter. I'd have done the video in two parts. Instead, I did half of the video in front of a camera that wasn't rolling lmao. I'll do it again, properly, the next time I do a delid. I might add it to this thread as well when it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie81 View Post
Is it worth delidding if you're on a big chunky air cooler?

Im currently 4.8 on my 6700k chip on auto settings for voltage. Seems to be stable with temps around 30-40 at idle.
IMO any cooling advantage you can get is a good one. CPU's work better when cooler, great when cold, and unbelievably fast when they hit it with NO2. Cooler is always better.

Idle temps don't change by a huge amount really. Delidding comes into its own when you start working the chip hard. It would lower your temps by just as much as it did with the AIO cooler I used, generally speaking.

What temps do you get when benching, or gaming? If you are ok with the performance, and ok with the temps, and ok with the fan noise, then delidding is not for you. Remember, although the cooling advantage is excellent, the CPU warranty is voided by this procedure. If you are happy with what you have, I'd leave it at that.

If you want more performance at lower temps, at the expense of your warranty, then delid

Last edited by Ratzz; 23rd August 2017 at 7:48 PM.
Old 23rd August 2017, 8:50 PM   #5
Beavis_Wolf

Nice write up mate
Beavis_Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 9:20 PM   #6
juzz86

Terrific write-up Kev - can't thank you enough for the generous offer and totally top-notch service mate, nothing but impressed and grateful

It's amazing to see what was a very underwhelming purchase (I very much considered returning it and swapping platforms) change in the space of hours thanks to you.

As you mention, a nice 50x at reasonable voltage was the goal for me, and it's amazing to see that happening at what my board (Z270X Gaming 8) calls stock volts (1.22). I managed to wind the voltage back to 1.16 with the stock chip, but it was still a hot mess.

You have my blessing to throw her under a real loop and see what you can get to mate - I'm happy for you to keep it for the weekend and run whatever you like

I am very much a numbers guy so seeing it all written out and captured is just perfect

Can't thank you enough mate, the service is excellent. 11/10, do recommend!

Justin
Old 24th August 2017, 12:11 AM   #7
shane41

Proven a good processor also
Old 24th August 2017, 2:54 AM   #8
Deano_20802

I had thought it to be fairly common knowledge that delidding was required to get the most out of these chips, but there's always going to be people that are sceptical, can't justify the risk or are just to anxious.

This was a great write up and the inclusion of images and data is wonderful! Great stuff mate

Love the "laptop" too
Deano_20802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 3:51 AM   #9
Ratzz Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Justin, you are most welcome. I'll make the most of my temporary possession of the chip to get some HWBOT points in, its better than my own chip. Thanks

I've now moved the chip into another rig.

Its this one.. more info on the link in my sig.
Basically a better mobo, the Asus Z270i Strix, with a proper custom loop (D5, Raystorm Pro, and 280mm rad).

Sadly my pride and joy has an issue.. one of the ram channels has died. This means of course only one stick of ram, and the loss of dual channel seems to have hurt my ram overclocking too.. I am settling with XMP c17-3733 until I can RMA the board, but with dual channel I can usually get c12-4000 from these c17-3733 sticks. Fortunately this issue will not affect the task at hand.. it still overclocks and cools the CPU just fine

It will be an issue with HWBOT submissions though.. it sucks having a really nice chip to play with and losing the really nice ram at the same time

Level up.. Ambient remains unchanged @ 19.3c (heated room).

Background has changed because I'm now on a different rig, and with more screen real estate (the 'laptop' is 720P, the main rig is a 1080P TV).

54/45 @ 1.48v

Max temps across all cores = 66-72c

Last edited by Ratzz; 24th August 2017 at 4:46 PM.
Old 24th August 2017, 7:07 AM   #10
mad_mic3

sweet review
mad_mic3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 7:48 AM   #11
headin2001

Nice info there Kev. As you know, I've been doing this for guys in here, and every chip behaves like a different animal after. Some only benefitted by 10degrees, one had a 28degree difference. It really is worth the trouble IMO.

How cold is it at 3am for you Kev? Quit messing with stability testing and hit the benchmark button.
headin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 8:07 AM   #12
AstinGC90

I can't find the newer 7th gen thread for this but Intel have warranted delids in the past which is never bad. Jokester nailed it however, "Your mileage may vary!"

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/th...this.18537093/
I7-7700K Delided 5.2/4.8 1.42v daily OC, EKWC Hard Tube, 360mm rad x2 UV Blue, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3.2Ghz, Aorus Z270X-G5, SamEVO500GB, 8TB, FractalDefineS, CorsairAX1200, 2 x Gigabyte GTX 1080ti EKWB 2050/12000 SLi. AsusPG279Q 165Hz, LogiG510S, LogiG502Proteus, LogiZ906, ATHM50X. Rig Pic
AstinGC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 8:43 AM   #13
Ratzz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_mic3 View Post
sweet review
Thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2001 View Post
Nice info there Kev. As you know, I've been doing this for guys in here, and every chip behaves like a different animal after. Some only benefitted by 10degrees, one had a 28degree difference. It really is worth the trouble IMO.

How cold is it at 3am for you Kev? Quit messing with stability testing and hit the benchmark button.
4c, but it was raining last night
Justin wanted stability, that was the primary object. Now its my turn.. he has graciously allowed me to hang onto the chip for a few days so hopefully I'll get a cold night and hit it with the big hammer. Until then, I'll see what I can do inside the house lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstinGC90 View Post
I can't find the newer 7th gen thread for this but Intel have warranted delids in the past which is never bad. Jokester nailed it however, "Your mileage may vary!"

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/th...this.18537093/
I know of people who have RMA'd delidded chips successfully. I'd still make the assumption that I am voiding the warranty as soon as I hear that crack as the delid happens. I'd hate for anyone to delid on the assumption that Intel will have their back....

Old 24th August 2017, 9:10 AM   #14
wolfie81

Interesting.

Im interested in delidding. Warranty is meh as I upgrade before parts stop working. Having said that, I would not attempt to do it myself as I have zero experience. Anyone about Sydney who have done it numerous times/is confident and will do it for some $?
wolfie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 9:13 AM   #15
WishBone17

Nice!!

It's even easier now to delid with specialized tools you can buy.
I did mine with the trusty blade and cut the glue method.

Used some basic TIM, i think it was Noctua NHT1 stuff, it made a world of difference. hitting 4.8ghz and maxing out under 70* on max stress is amazing, it was clocking at 90+ before the delid
INTEL I7-3770K @4.8GHZ (DELIDDED) | MSI BIGBANG M-POWER Z77 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ DDR3 | GPU less for now (using onboard intel) | CORSAIR AX1200 PSU | LIANLI PC-Z70 | AOC 12757FH + DELL U2311H | WIN10 PRO 64BIT | ..:: PICS ::..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironized View Post
Our father who areth a lurker, creeking be your name, We are here in the most boring of times and pray for you to once again walk among us. Ahnus.
WishBone17 is offline   Reply With Quote