Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Old 5th September 2017, 9:31 PM   #1
__Ripjaws__ Thread Starter

Default Cheap Case Review #8 - SHAW Micro HERO mATX Case with full Acrylic Panels - Video!

Cheap Case Review #8 - SHAW Micro HERO mATX Case with full Acrylic Panels - Video!

SHAW is BACK! *fanboy scream*

I usually check MSY's website now and then, and going through cases and to see the name SHAW back with a number of different designs and silly name choices, I wanted to get my hands on one immediately.

Up I went to Pacco MSY this morning and got myself a SHAW MICRO HERO!
(Micro Hero, lol)

I have made a video detailing about the case, tried to be a bit more relaxed and felt more comfortable reviewing this. And trying to make do with the lighting equipment that I had (Phone flash and my Garage light )

VIDEO HERE -

(I couldn't help with the puns, sorry)

Now if you don't want to watch the video, I will give you a quick run down, but won't try to spoil too much.

The case is $45, compared to the previous one I review the Armageddon Decatron T3Z which you can check out by clicking that, it's a massive step up, only cause SHAW got their name on it, we looking at some GAMER GEAR here

With a small footprint that should house a decent build and decent storage options, and with the included fans and the look of the case, it really should appeal to those wanting to build a budget PC or don't want to spend too much on a case.

There are drawbacks as per any budget case, but I feel this one is a little more perfected in that sense.

PROS:
*Nice & Cheap.
*Great aesthetic and simplistic look that looks like it belongs in 2017.
*Plenty of ways for mounting fans, radiators etc.
*Dust filter for top and bottom of the case.
*Practically any Power Supply should fit in this case.
*Same as Graphics Cards, and CPU Coolers.
*Micro ATX fits great.
*Cable Management is great and plenty of options to route them throughout.
*The PSU Shroud - Oooh yeah!
*Included screws are right for the case.
*Sturdy frame and quite solid
*Edit: DEM FAN STICKERS

CONS:
*It's a SHAW Case. It's not branded so you can say slap a Corsair sticker on it?
*Front I/O has a cutout for an SD Card Reader but not included.
*Only 1 x USB 3.0 (Which is an internal header with a USB 2.0 connector with it)
*Acrylic Panels and flimsy and if not enough care is taken they may break.
*Radiators can be installed, but not what I initially thought.
*Only plastic feet, not a big deal.
*Cables aren't all black inside, but considering most will be tucked away, I don't see this as a big problem.
*Expansion card bracket falls off.
*Front panel and side panel are held in with 4 thumbscrews which don't latch on to anything, when you take them off, they will likely fall straight to the ground.

Overall: 8/10

Hands down, one of the best SHAW cases I have seen. It was awesome working with it, plz MSY send free cases to me now thx. O_o

I hope everyone enjoys this review for what it is, I know the video isn't perfect and I am not the best at reviewing but I am doing this for fun and that's the whole point.

Thanks - see you all in the next one!

(And if you happened to see a bloke wearing an Adidas hoodie holding a box that says SHAW MICRO HERO around Pascoe Vale and Essendon today, that was me )

Last edited by __Ripjaws__; 15th September 2017 at 5:21 PM.
__Ripjaws__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 9:35 PM   #2
sanjay

can you do a review of the Antec P8 and the Coolermaster Masterbox lite 5 RGB next??
Old 5th September 2017, 9:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay View Post
can you do a review of the Antec P8 and the Coolermaster Masterbox lite 5 RGB next??
Hey if case manufacturers can send stuff to me, I'll do it
Old 5th September 2017, 10:15 PM   #4
FIREWIRE1394

Great review, I might pick one of these up to go with my cheap RGB fans.

you definitely seemed less nervous in this video than the last one, and even the opening music was better (so props if you made it yourself again).

Only thing of note in regards to production is the music levels compared to the talking levels. I set my headphones for the music level, then could hardly hear you so I turned it up.. then had my ears burst with the technical difficulties music spliced in.
aside from that though

I'll have to bring you some other cheap stuff to make videos on when I drop off the next case.
Old 5th September 2017, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWIRE1394 View Post
Great review, I might pick one of these up to go with my cheap RGB fans.

you definitely seemed less nervous in this video than the last one, and even the opening music was better (so props if you made it yourself again).

Only thing of note in regards to production is the music levels compared to the talking levels. I set my headphones for the music level, then could hardly hear you so I turned it up.. then had my ears burst with the technical difficulties music spliced in.
aside from that though

I'll have to bring you some other cheap stuff to make videos on when I drop off the next case.
Thanks man,

Yeah was a little more comfortable, mostly cause I was actually excited about this case as you know. And yep the intro was done by me, just something a little more toned down and generic.

Yeah I understand with the sound, I am thinking about hooking up a mic to my shirt so then it is consistent, because I am recording with my S7, it records in stereo, and I am sitting to then right of the phone so it is picking up only the right channel and the left is just echo. So I copy the audio track and pan it to the left to put it back in perspective. So it's really fiddly with sound at the moment, but I think I will fix it up with other ones to come!
Old 5th September 2017, 11:34 PM   #6
zxzxzx

Well, I guess I'm surprised. This is the first of your reviews that I've seen and read, but it changes my thoughts on Shaw now. I used to avoid Shaw like the plague because of all the terrible reviews and their reputation for horrible power supplies, but they actually seem decent for the cases now that I take a second look. Might be worthwhile for a cheap/secondary build.
Old 5th September 2017, 11:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxzxzx View Post
Well, I guess I'm surprised. This is the first of your reviews that I've seen and read, but it changes my thoughts on Shaw now. I used to avoid Shaw like the plague because of all the terrible reviews and their reputation for horrible power supplies, but they actually seem decent for the cases now that I take a second look. Might be worthwhile for a cheap/secondary build.
Thank you for watching! I have always had a fascination with SHAW (And A-Power and Ritmo) for being cheap and nasty, but had a "spark" in them that I liked (lol)

So I ended up taking a look into their cases and through a very long journey throughout the years of people mocking them and etc, they are finally catching up, still not perfect, but they are getting there and offering some decent products on the market now that are perfect for the budget group.

This is the whole thing with these reviews is to really show that, with a limited budget, what exactly do you get? Back in the day it was a tin case and the shittiest PSU ever, now it's starting to look up.

Wouldn't get their PSUs though, they still suck.
(My A-Power one featured in the video is still holding on though!)
Old 7th September 2017, 5:27 PM   #8

Damn SHAW you making a new name for yourself!

Old 15th September 2017, 12:40 PM   #9
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

I'm liking your reviews, they're coming in useful

I need to build a budget pc and I think after seeing this I'll go with this case. Looks quite good for the money.

Sorry if I missed it, but it comes with the front and rear fans?
Old 15th September 2017, 12:46 PM   #10
terrastrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Ripjaws__ View Post
Hey if case manufacturers can send stuff to me, I'll do it
Make a video commenting on someone else's review of those cases, you know, that's what's popular on YouTube
terrastrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 2:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
I'm liking your reviews, they're coming in useful

I need to build a budget pc and I think after seeing this I'll go with this case. Looks quite good for the money.

Sorry if I missed it, but it comes with the front and rear fans?
Thanks for the feedback, glad it's been helpful!
It's a great case for a small build that's simple, yet looks great.

3 Fans up front, one at rear, all decent fans for the money!
Old 15th September 2017, 2:53 PM   #12
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, glad it's been helpful!
It's a great case for a small build that's simple, yet looks great.

3 Fans up front, one at rear, all decent fans for the money!
Extraordinary value for money, I'm impressed. It's definitely on the order list now.
Old 15th September 2017, 2:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrastrife View Post
Make a video commenting on someone else's review of those cases, you know, that's what's popular on YouTube
Or do I just contact Case manufacturers and ask them for samples and show links/videos, or bug some big YouTuber and be like I WANT TO REVIEW $500 CASES PLEASE.

Honestly, if I was to review cases, I would cater ONLY for the budget market, that's the whole point of doing this little series is because yeah SHAW is mega cheap, but I wanted to see how cheap they can get and now they are getting better, and thus, the case sells more at MSY because I have given it the thumbs up. If I review expensive cases, all budget users go, nah, too pricey and give it a miss. So yeah that's what I aim to do
Old 15th September 2017, 3:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Extraordinary value for money, I'm impressed. It's definitely on the order list now.
It is, those 4 fans included are worth $40 no problems. If you want to, skip through the video if you want to see the final results etc.
Even the picture I posted above is showcasing what it looks like.

(Compared to the fkn ECO MK3 I got from SHAW lol)
Old 15th September 2017, 3:05 PM   #15
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
It is, those 4 fans included are worth $40 no problems.
Along with the bottom PSU enclosure, all for $45. Wonder if it looks as good in person as it does in the video.