Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Old 9th September 2017, 7:50 PM   #1
__Ripjaws__ Thread Starter

Default Cheap Case Review #9 - SHAW ECO MK3 Full ATX "Gaming" Case - Video!

Cheap Case Review #9 - SHAW ECO MK3 Full ATX "Gaming" Case - Video!

I was excited SHAW was back, now, not too much.

Since reviewing the Micro Hero case from the new lineup of cases, I was eager to see what the other offerings were. And so I chose this case because of it's over the top look, and with all the features of the Micro Hero - this had to come with some great features right? Nope.

Big thank you to FIREWIRE1394 for picking this case up and delivering it for me, much appreciated!

VIDEO HERE -

(Yes I made puns, AGAIN, shawly no one will notice )

Now if you don't want to watch the video, I will give a quick run down, but to be honest, it's just a terrible, terrible case. Unless someone out there likes it.
Which is doubtful.

The case is $45, same price as the Micro Hero. Which I reviewed HERE and with the same price - you get 2 less fans, a very cheap looking appearance, less features and lack of build quality (Or thereof).

You can argue - yes it's a budget case, yes it can fit a full ATX board with some decent graphics cards, yes it has LED Fans, but - WHY? Why this case? I was seriously bummed out because of how the Micro Hero had all the bells and whistles, but this just, it doesn't offer anything decent. If anything - I will rip the fans out of it and give it away.

Here's the rundown of what is good and bad.

PROS:
*Cheap price.
*Cable Management is decent
*Comes with 2 decent LED Fans
*THE MAGNETIC DRIVE BAY COVER! 2017 NEW FEATURE!
*Sigh that's all I can think off for the pros.

CONS:
*It's still a SHAW Case.
*Had to literally RIP the plastic panels off the case.
*Very poor build quality, not solid, flimsy panels.
*Fan mounts are practically useless.
*No radiator support, except for a single 120MM.
*Cables aren't all black to match with the interior.
*Lack of any dust filters, except for the small one for the PSU.
*Putting a build into the case was tedious and not that straightforward.
*No SD Card reader, but has the cutouts for it.
*Decision to not put dual USB 3.0 on one PCB, instead splitting them.
*No PSU Shroud or anything the Micro Hero offers, and at the same price!
*I can not stress that the build quality is just crap on this.
*Unappealing look that will only cater to someone looking at an over the top case for cheap
*And, I'll say it again, it's terrible.

Overall: 3/10

The reason for the generous score was because it comes with the 2 LED Fans and the awesome feature of the magnetic 5.25" cover *sarcasm*

Honestly, don't buy this case, there are plenty of better options on the market for the $45. And I will mention the last case for the 76th time, the Micro Hero is the SAME PRICE as this one, but has more features and looks like something that is practical. This is just not one of those cases.

I may have a look at the other lineup of Micro cases, but I have a slight feeling they will be the same layout as the Hero case, but just slightly different bezels and different colored fans. I feel I wasted $45 on this case, and I can't return it since it's practically destroyed from all the hassles into building.

I hope everyone enjoys this review for what it is, I know the video isn't perfect and I am not the best at reviewing but I am doing this for fun and that's the whole point.
(Hopefully the sound levels are better this time around, and the micro edits aren't perfect, but eh, it's good enough)

And to see how the budget market is going for Computer gear, sometimes, it can be good!

Thanks - see you all in the next one!

Last edited by __Ripjaws__; 10th September 2017 at 7:53 PM.
__Ripjaws__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 5:24 PM   #2
boneburner

Good job on the review. Now I suggest you take that case, place in a sack, and drown it in a creek

Some things are just too ugly to live.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:27 AM   #3
FIREWIRE1394

I'm at least glad it wasn't broken from the shop, that rattle was alarming.
Sucks it's shit. If I didn't have those 2 carbide spec 03's here I couldn't do a thing with, I'd grab the hero instead.

I agree with boneburner though, destroy the case!! (after you rescue the fans)

Can't wait for the next one.
Old 24th September 2017, 9:15 PM   #4

Hey all, if you REALLY want one of these SHAW MK(x) cases, MSY is getting rid of them due to their extreme popularity

(Might give me a chance to get the Eco MK1....hmmm nah )

Old 25th September 2017, 10:34 AM   #5
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Just bought the MK2 yesterday as a cheap build for a friend....at full price before I saw the MSY email *sigh*. Anyways, it's cheap and will the job fine.

What's the difference between the MK2 and MK3?

PS; bought a shaw 975w psu yesterday and doesn't even have a 8pin (or 2x4pin) power connector....what the!??
Old 25th September 2017, 11:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Just bought the MK2 yesterday as a cheap build for a friend....at full price before I saw the MSY email *sigh*. Anyways, it's cheap and will the job fine.

What's the difference between the MK2 and MK3?

PS; bought a shaw 975w psu yesterday and doesn't even have a 8pin (or 2x4pin) power connector....what the!??
I got it late last night and thought, well may as well post it up!

Between the MK2 and MK3, just different colored fans I would say. Otherwise same internal layout and different plastic front and top bezels, that's it. Compare the one you bought to the one in my video. Bleh I hate this case with a passion

NEVER buy SHAW PSU's for anything, like, that's one thing where I am really harsh against. Even the DeepCool offerings would be better than those. For budget stuff, yeaaaah, they are ok I guess. It's better to be safe than sorry
Old 25th September 2017, 4:21 PM   #7
Beavis_Wolf

Great reviews on these cheap cases mate.

You might include a bandaid rating.......how many cuts you got from the cases,I
used to dread working on those early Shaw cases.
Beavis_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 5:46 PM   #8
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Just got the MK2 budget build up and running. Have to say these cases look fantastic for crazy cheap prices.

Yeah they are tinny and light but they really do look nice.

I'll take some piccies later.

And only one small graze to my small pinkie.....no blood!
Old 25th September 2017, 6:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis_Wolf View Post
Great reviews on these cheap cases mate.

You might include a bandaid rating.......how many cuts you got from the cases,I
used to dread working on those early Shaw cases.
Thanks!
No cuts from the decent ones, the MK3 was a pain with the expansion slots and almost gave myself a nick, otherwise the SHAW Tornado case was the worst to build in, I got cut a lot working with that.
Old 25th September 2017, 9:47 PM   #10
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Ripjaws__ View Post
Thanks!
No cuts from the decent ones, the MK3 was a pain with the expansion slots
That's one thing I noticed with theese cases, no slot covers included in the box, so once you snap out the placeholder you then don't have any replacements if you no longer need an expansion card in your case :\
Old 25th September 2017, 10:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
That's one thing I noticed with theese cases, no slot covers included in the box, so once you snap out the placeholder you then don't have any replacements if you no longer need an expansion card in your case :\
Nah they never do. Any time I have got a case with one time use expansion slot covers, they never include replacements. Only usually just one removable one. Cheapness at it's best.

I think the only one was the Thermaltake V3 that has all removable ones, can't remember though.
Old 25th September 2017, 10:23 PM   #12
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Ripjaws__ View Post
Nah they never do. Any time I have got a case with one time use expansion slot covers, they never include replacements. Only usually just one removable one. Cheapness at it's best.

I think the only one was the Thermaltake V3 that has all removable ones, can't remember though.
I think I'm too spoilt with top end builds for myself, I never have to deal with this cheapie shite