Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Old 7th October 2017, 6:41 PM   #1
Gipsyking Thread Starter

Default Thunderbird cop out

About 5 days ago Mozilla Thunderbird decided to reject my password so I have no emails coming in or going out. I know my password, it has been printed out with the bunch of other passwords but I can't login. They ask me to create another account but when I try it says this email address has already been taken. Of course-by me and I don't want another email address as I have been using mine for about 15 years.

Any advice?

Originally Posted by Shamrock : Probably all those people who don't have the same religions/beliefs/needs or wants as you, goddamn communist f*ck.
Gipsyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 7:12 PM   #2
Mad Mike

Are you using imap or pop?
If your using imap, you could delete your user profile and try again.
OCAU Camera Club Member #114
Mad Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 7:17 PM   #3
miicah

Thunderbird is just a client, what email provider are you with?

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 7:40 PM   #4
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by miicah View Post
Thunderbird is just a client, what email provider are you with?
This.

Providers like Google (GMail) are now blocking out of date clients that don't meet their minimum security requirements.

Give us some more information. What's your mail provider, what protocol are you using (POP, IMAP, something else), are you on the latest version of Thunrderbird, and are you accessing all services via the correct SSL/TLS settings that your mail provider has mandated?
elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 7:47 PM   #5
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipsyking View Post
About 5 days ago Mozilla Thunderbird decided to reject my password
What is the specific message it gives you?
Quote:
They ask me to create another account
Who is "they"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 5:48 PM   #6
Gipsyking Thread Starter

Thunderbird is an email client. It talks to one or more email servers and gets your messages from them.

Say I have, for whatever reasons, email accounts with yahoo, gmail, hotmail and my ISP. If I use webmail, that's four different websites I have to visit. Each with its own particular layout and tools. Four different sets of rules and procedures you have to learn. And they keep changing, Gmail has periodic and irritating makeovers and IMHO an abysmal UI. Hotmail/Windows Live Mail/Live Mail/Outlook.com all essentially refer to the same underlying service but eternally being revamped to look new. Yahoo have a poor reputation for doing silly idiosyncratic things that break regular email systems.

You can instead set up each of these accounts in an email client such as Thunderbird. All your accounts in one place, with a consistent set of tools and procedures that work for all four accounts. One set of rules and procedures for you to learn. You could add another 10 email accounts and it's fundamentally just more of the same. Nothing new to learn.

Oh, and no adverts. And you can copy and paste from a message in one account to a message being written for a different account. Drag and drop messages between accounts. Manage and file your email correspondence.

So my problem is something happened to my computer, instead formatting a USB stick the bloody thing formatted the drive where I kept all my information's and particulars and Thunderbird rejecting the password I have for it. When I ask a question in the support forum or get help forum in Thunderbird the best I can get is to go from one place to another.
Outgoing server (SMTP0
POP Mail Server Telstra Bigpond
I can't reset the password as the instruction is sent to my email, the one I can't login to open it.By the way my account was created long before 2010.
So what you do?

Originally Posted by Shamrock : Probably all those people who don't have the same religions/beliefs/needs or wants as you, goddamn communist f*ck.
Old 8th October 2017, 6:14 PM   #7
ipv6ready

Quote:

I can't reset the password as the instruction is sent to my email, the one I can't login to open it.By the way my account was created long before 2010.
So what you do?

Cant you login directly to one of these “yahoo, gmail, hotmail and my ISP“ to get read your reset password?

For sale in WTS thread. MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II
ipv6ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 7:43 PM   #8
miicah

Quote:
So what you do?

Yes we know how email clients work.

What ACCOUNT are you talking about? Where did you get the screenshot from? Are you talking about a password protected Thunderbird install?

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 8:11 PM   #9
Gipsyking Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miicah View Post
Yes we know how email clients work.

What ACCOUNT are you talking about? Where did you get the screenshot from? Are you talking about a password protected Thunderbird install?
It is a Telstra account, I just spent an hour and half chatting with them.
Every time they gave me a temporary password it didn't work. Finally I got disconnected (thank god) so I will have another go tomorrow.

I can't believe how something so simple Telstra can't fix in about five minutes.

Also can't believe if the email address ends with",,,,bigpond.com I wasn't be able to figure out who was my email provider.

Getting to old I suppose, the brain not what it used to be.

Old 8th October 2017, 8:26 PM   #10
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
It is a Telstra account
And how are you connecting? POP? IMAP? Are you using the right ports (ensure SSL/TLS and matching ports as per Telstra's setup)?
elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 9:47 PM   #11
broccoli

Quote:
Every time they gave me a temporary password it didn't work
But what are they giving you a password to? A brower-based email? How EXACTLY are you trying to access your email? When you say you reformatted the wrong drive, have you nuked all your account settings in Thunderbird and have a fresh installation, or what?

You need to describe specifically what you are doing, and what is happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 2:03 PM   #12
mixsetup

test your account go to their site and log in to your webmail through your browser.
AMD FX-9590, ASRock 990fx Extreme9 Motherboard,MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G , GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2400MHz, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 2 X 2TB SATA3 HDD, 2TB NAS , 1TB SATA3, 2 X 2TB external HDD, LG Blu-Ray RW
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 3:07 AM   #13
damn duck

Gipsyking - I know you've been using Thunderbird for years and you're familiar with its layout. However it is old and unsupported and likely to have further issues like this in the future. It would be in your best interest to change to a supported email client.

It's not what you want to hear, but it has to be done.
damn duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 7:10 AM   #14
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Gipsyking - I know you've been using Thunderbird for years and you're familiar with its layout. However it is old and unsupported and likely to have further issues like this in the future. It would be in your best interest to change to a supported email client.

It's not what you want to hear, but it has to be done.
Good advice. If Gypsy King's ISP is Telstra then he should have an inbox at Telstra to receive emails (see the link below for the settings). I'm with TPG and I get my emails from my TPG Post Office Account using Windows Live Mail. If Windows Live Mail stopped working I could still log into my TPG Post Office account and view my emails from there so I'm not dependent on an email application to access my emails. If I changed ISPs I'd inform places like my bank, NRMA, Overclockers etc. of my new email address and forget about continuing to receive emails from unimportant places.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/c...ndard-settings
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 8:58 AM   #15
mmBax

This issue seems to be similar to what my pop is having.

Unfortunately Iím playing catch up as heís already spoken to Telstra a few times and thereís no evidence or emails that I can try and use to make sense of anything.

To be clear, heís on Telstra nbn, I set up Thunderbird for him as an email client about 4 years ago now and itís been working fine since. I canít remember why we went with thunderbird but I believe his office suite didnít work with a 64 bit system and thunderbird was the first one that came to mind that did.

From memory itís SMTP and STARTTLS with no password on thunderbird.

The conversation with my pop went something along the lines of it saying his password is wrong.
I told him he doesnít have a password.
He tells me that he spoke to Telstra and that he needs to change his password.
I logged onto the Telstra page and changed his password from his incredibly weak password to a newer password that meets Telstraís requests.
I made no changes in TíBird, test emails were coming through.

I havenít heard anything from him for a little while now but I assume the problem is gone.

Could this be a similar issue to what youíre having?

*Side note, whatís a good email client that is easy to use. My pop is 90 and each change is costly.
mmBax is offline   Reply With Quote