Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Old 8th October 2017, 8:33 PM   #1
Xizor Thread Starter

Default A few questions before i take the AMD plunge

After the better part of 20 years using and overclocking (modestly) Intels (fond memories of the celeron 300, and am still using an i5 750) i am a whisker away taking a somewhat frightening plunge into the world of AMD. I'm way out date with pc tech in general let alone know sfa about AMD so it would be reassuring to get some insight from you local veterans to hopefully prevent me from making rookie mistakes.

Why am i shifting camps? Two reasons, bang for buck, and i have it stuck in my head that i will be able to upgrade the CPU 2-3 years down the track and still use the mobo? If this is a high risk or blatantly false assumption please smack sense into me. I know with Intel i got no chance. The PC is used 70% browsing/work/streaming, and 30% gaming (fps and rts). Gaming would be the most intense thing it does well other than maybe ripping my DVDs to file on occasion. I try to game at 1080p or 1440p 60hz (freesync monitor).

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (hope to overclock to 3.8)
ASRock X370 Taichi (i know this is overkill for now, from what i have read though this will put me in a better position 2 years down the track when i want to upgrade CPU? I do plan to keep the PC for quite a while and just do CPU, RAM, and GPU upgrades when needed)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB (is this the right RAM? Can i actually set it to run at 3200mhz with the above? Is it independent to how i overclock the CPU?)
Radeon RX480GB (already own)
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (dont see much benefit of going nvme yet)
Fractal Design Define S (not decided on this but its a safe option)
Corsair RM650x 650W 80 Plus Gold (zero rpm mode is appealing)

Does the above make sense and are the selections optimal? I have been reading up for a few days so i hope i am on the right track. Are there further considerations i should factor with an AMD build?
Old 8th October 2017, 9:37 PM   #2
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xizor View Post
After the better part of 20 years using and overclocking (modestly) Intels (fond memories of the celeron 300, and am still using an i5 750) i am a whisker away taking a somewhat frightening plunge into the world of AMD. I'm way out date with pc tech in general let alone know sfa about AMD so it would be reassuring to get some insight from you local veterans to hopefully prevent me from making rookie mistakes.

Why am i shifting camps? Two reasons, bang for buck, and i have it stuck in my head that i will be able to upgrade the CPU 2-3 years down the track and still use the mobo? If this is a high risk or blatantly false assumption please smack sense into me. I know with Intel i got no chance. The PC is used 70% browsing/work/streaming, and 30% gaming (fps and rts). Gaming would be the most intense thing it does well other than maybe ripping my DVDs to file on occasion. I try to game at 1080p or 1440p 60hz (freesync monitor).

ASRock X370 Taichi (i know this is overkill for now, from what i have read though this will put me in a better position 2 years down the track when i want to upgrade CPU? I do plan to keep the PC for quite a while and just do CPU, RAM, and GPU upgrades when needed)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB (is this the right RAM? Can i actually set it to run at 3200mhz with the above? Is it independent to how i overclock the CPU?)

Does the above make sense and are the selections optimal? I have been reading up for a few days so i hope i am on the right track. Are there further considerations i should factor with an AMD build?
All looks good to me, in perspective with your stated aims. I might be tempted to switch to a R7 1700 for 8c/16t at a reasonable price and only a 65w chip. The ram is a good choice, and you should be able to run it at rated overclocks no problem.

The weakest link is really your old GPU.

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 11:25 PM   #3
Deano_20802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xizor View Post

That should all be fine and last some years to come.

That RAM should able to clock at the tested speed with that board. There are still occasional issues, but not many.

For a few more dollars I personally prefer "G.Skill Flare-X F4-3200C14D-16GFX 16GB" for the C14 timings over C16, but it's not required at all.

The roadmap is still indicating that you will be able to upgrade your CPU in a few years (Ryzen 2). I'm certainly counting on it happening.

NVMe is awesome, make no mistake. But depending on your use a decent SSD is still ok for general gaming and use.

Down the track if you game more at 1440p you could use a better GPU, depending what you play of course.
Deano_20802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 8:23 AM   #4
AEKaBeer

For me I'd change to the R7 1700, another $130 might allow you to skip an upgrade cycle entirely.

As far as the motherboard goes, it's a good choice, but if you get a popular B350 (so you know it'll get the necessary BIOS updates for new CPUs) you can save another $70ish and only really miss out a few USB ports between the two boards.

Also a 3.7 all core overclock will likely not need a voltage adjustment whereas a 3.8 almost certainly will, for power saving heat and longevity the 100mhz lower clock is worth it. Otherwise go whole hog and try for 4.0 if you have a left over cooler like a hyper 212 or better from one of you Intel builds.
Old 9th October 2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Xizor Thread Starter

Thanks AEKaBeer, I will revise my target to 3.7 for the time being.

I have looked at B350 reviews but i confess it seemed like a real mixed bag opinions between:
ASUS ROG Strix B350-F
MSI B350 Tomahawk
ASRock AB350 Pro4 / ASRock AB350 Gaming K4 (i can't tell the difference?)

I'm still leaning towards the Tachi given i want to live with this platform for a few years. Actually speaking of which, for a strictly air-cooled AMD system are there any specific case fans recommended for *quiet* yet cool system? Any motherboard/CPU spacing considerations i should be aware of before i start reading up on cfm v noise..
Old 9th October 2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Datsun 1600

I went with the ASRock AB350M Pro4 and 1600X with a Noctua NH-C12P-SE14 cooler, it XFXs up to 3.7 and 4.1 single core with an idle temp of 27 degrees, 40 degrees load. Not going to overclock as it is fast enough for me.

I went with the mobo as it was cheap, the VRM is adequate and will update to a better mobo as the platform matures later on.
G6950, ECS H55H-I, 8Gb G-Skill Sniper 1600
Datsun 1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 1:01 PM   #7
cbjaust

The Taichi is a solid board by all accounts and I think the early bios annoyances are ironed out (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNc4q1kBwhE) I would also second stretching to the C14 3200 RAM (Samsung B-die most likely early on although not guaranteed) I think the FlareX is a little cheaper than the Trident Z (I grabbed the Trident Z from Newegg early on) and I don't go in for RGB RAM. If you're going to air cool lash out for the twin tower noctua and as for case fans, in the Fractal whatever ones you like will be fine as far a noise goes.
cbjaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 1:13 PM   #8
Xizor Thread Starter

Hi cbjaust thanks for that. The FlareX seems to be $50 more than then TridentZ? Maybe i need to check overseas prices. I was just checking cougar fans on newegg and the shipping cost was nuts though..

Bit confused whether to get pvm or non-pvm fans too?

Last edited by Xizor; 9th October 2017 at 2:18 PM.
Xizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 2:20 PM   #9
cbjaust

I bought my ram back in March (F4-3200C14D-16GTZ) and at that time it wasn't available for sale in Aus. buy more than one item at a time from newegg and it's usually the same cost to ship - eases the pain of that hurdle somewhat. FYI the above mentioned kit was AUD$251 delivered at the time. i think it costs a bit more now
cbjaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 3:16 PM   #10
Xizor Thread Starter

Damn that was a nice price you got!
Old 9th October 2017, 5:25 PM   #11
headin2001

Yeah, go the extra on the ram. 3200C14 is a guarantee B-Die, and since longevity is key, it will serve you the best over the period.

I too am a long time Intel man, and have for the past month or two been trying out the 1700X and gotta say I like it. Everything feels smooth, drivers are basically ironed out, and honestly, for day to day and gaming, I cannot for the life of me pick a difference between it and my 7700k Platform.

I am with you on the "lets do one platform for many years. Considering sticking with AMD for my daily (because it's plenty enough), and saving all my intel for benching fun.
headin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 5:42 PM   #12
Xizor Thread Starter

Thanks headin... upon further reading, i think only 3200C14 is meant to play nicely with the board anyway. Thats if the the g.skill configurator website is anything to go by (could be out of date?). So 3200C14 Flare-X it is... finding it for a good price, a whole other mission!!! Cheapest i can see is ebay from an NZ seller but not keen on that!

Last edited by Xizor; 9th October 2017 at 5:49 PM.
Xizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 5:50 PM   #13
headin2001

Any B-Die based RAM should work well, as they will all train the same. I used my Galax B-Die kit and had no issues on the Crosshair VI Hero.

FlareX or TridentZ should both work fine.
Old 9th October 2017, 6:23 PM   #14
Xizor Thread Starter

3200C14 Trident-Z seems to be rare in Oz and priced about the same Flare-X anyway. Looks like can get the Flare-X delivered from newegg for around ~270
Old 9th October 2017, 7:59 PM   #15
headin2001

I've grabbed plenty from Newegg over the years. Easy to deal with and ships quite fast. Good choice