Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
Closed Thread

Old 31st December 2002, 3:16 PM   #1
poeee Thread Starter

Default Wiring Diagrams

I am after a Wiring Diagram so I can terminate the cat5, that I have ran though the house, to the RJ45 wall sockets.

I have read through teh Networking FAQ, but the pics seem to be down, so no diagrams.

Thnx in advance.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st December 2002, 4:33 PM   #2
grill

all of the sockets i have seen are colour coded so you just follow that. Have you looked at it closely?
Old 31st December 2002, 5:16 PM   #3
nbk

Default Re: Wiring Diagrams

Quote:
Originally posted by poeee

I have read through teh Networking FAQ, but the pics seem to be down, so no diagrams.

Thnx in advance.
*Looks at dead server sitting on bench*

The pics are down atm, I'll be relocating them onto another (more stable, faster) server asap.
Old 31st December 2002, 5:20 PM   #4
poeee Thread Starter

So they're the same at either end?
Old 31st December 2002, 5:34 PM   #5
Iceman

Yes. Pardon me but you don't seem to know what you are doing here. Perhaps you should consult some guides or better yet, a professional to avoid ruining your cable?

WTB: Cisco 1801-M PM me
Please rehash my posts and pass them off as your own ideas! Triple points for doing it in the same page of the thread. Plagiarism is the sincerest form of copyright infringement.
Old 31st December 2002, 9:25 PM   #6
katastrophe

Ruin your cables? If you bugger one end up you cut it off and try again. Never learn anything if you don't get down and get your hands dirty....

As for CAT5 standard practice for the colours is (looking at the RJ45 module from the underside, ie the side WITHOUT the clip)

---Orange White
---Orange
---Green White
---Blue
---Blue White
---Green
---Brown White
---Brown

And for a crossover cable you swap the orange white with the green white and the orange with the green at ONE end.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't let people discourage you from doing it yourself. Best case scenario you save a buttload of cash. Worst case scenario you bugger up and have to get the pros in to fix it. So long as you didn't go kinking the cable the pros would just be able to fix the ends and it would be right as rain. Not a big loss in my books.

Feel free to flame/correct me if I'm wrong, I love learning new things

-katas
Old 1st January 2003, 12:39 PM   #7
poeee Thread Starter

Thnx katastrophem, I couldn't agree with you more, how ya gunna learn if ya don't just give it a go.

Iceman, before ya have a go at me, perhaps you should consult my question, which was asking for the diagram as the pics were down in the NETWORKING FAQ, which I would say is a damn good GUIDE!

Last edited by poeee; 1st January 2003 at 12:42 PM.
Old 1st January 2003, 12:47 PM   #8
Iceman

Quote:
Thnx katastrophem, I couldn't agree with you more, how ya gunna learn if ya don't just give it a go.

Iceman, before ya have a go at me, did you should perhaps you should consult my question, which was asking for the diagram as the pics were down in the NETWORKING FAQ, which I would say is a damn good GUIDE!
I wasn't having a go at you, just making a suggestion how you might save yourself some time and hassles. It may be a good guide but there is a lot more to laying interior cat 5 cabling (if you want it to perform correctly) then just getting the ends right.

I won't knock anyone trying to do something for themselves or learn a new skill, but when you jump head first into something new it helps to do a little research on it first.

Please rehash my posts and pass them off as your own ideas! Triple points for doing it in the same page of the thread. Plagiarism is the sincerest form of copyright infringement.
Old 1st January 2003, 2:10 PM   #9
poeee Thread Starter

Well I can say that I have got as far as having the 2 PC's conected, sharing internet, files, printer, etc. next to each other with a short cross over cable. My father is a technitian at Telstra, so he knows how to run the cable correctly, terminate it, because its the same as your average phone socket, but we're unsure of the actual order of the wires.

Grill, I think the actual wall sockets we have, which my father got from work, don't have the colour codes on them, as I think they're phone ones (exactally the same RJ45).

As for ruining the cable, no chance of that happening, once the order of the wires are determined, my father has no chance of stuffing it up. We have put more than enough cat5 in, so if anything does need changing, pull a little more through, as easy as that.

Last edited by poeee; 1st January 2003 at 2:13 PM.
Old 1st January 2003, 2:43 PM   #10
Gnuthad

You are aware that permanently installing your own network cable if you intend to use the internet through a modem (dial-up or ADSL) is illegal without a permit ($66), aren't you?

Last edited by Gnuthad; 1st January 2003 at 2:44 PM.
Old 1st January 2003, 2:49 PM   #11
Iceman

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnuthad
You are aware that permanently installing your own network cable if you intend to use the internet through a modem (dial-up or ADSL) is illegal without a permit ($66), aren't you?
Thats a new one, show me that regulation on the ACA website please?

Old 1st January 2003, 3:11 PM   #12
driver

AFAIK, you can run your own network cable at home providing it doesn't connect to the public telephone network.

And if that's not the rule, then I got some tradesman out of the newpaper ages ago to install it

Last edited by driver; 1st January 2003 at 3:12 PM.
Old 1st January 2003, 4:04 PM   #13
pax

http://www.jonny-m.net/images/cat5.gif

Standard, Crossover and rollover images
Old 1st January 2003, 4:24 PM   #14
Tharg

Quote:

Grill, I think the actual wall sockets we have, which my father got from work, don't have the colour codes on them, as I think they're phone ones (exactally the same RJ45).
Are you sure you aren't talking about RJ11/RJ12 sockets?

Most Cat5 jacks these days are colour coded for both 568a & 568b configurations.

On an rj45 wiring scheme ethernet uses pins 1 & 2 , 3 & 6 for rx/tx
It matters that you use the orange and green pairs on these pins.
(see Pax's link) otherwise you won't get Cat5 performance. If you are using 100bTX you will get packet loss resulting in poor network performance.
Same applies to the jacks (rj45 sockets) if they aren't Cat5 or above , expect problems at anything over 10bT.
Old 1st January 2003, 5:46 PM   #15
poeee Thread Starter

RJ45 is the wall mount, RJ11/RJ12 are at the device end.

Permit, eh?
Closed Thread