OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > General Software

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 14th March 2008, 10:55 PM   #2266
WangNiNjA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezin View Post
Links in an e-mail? Mine are working with Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 and Firefox 3 Beta 4. What's the problem you're getting?
It's just that nothing happens when I click on the links. It's a bit annoying having to copy links
WangNiNjA is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 14th March 2008, 11:00 PM   #2267
Rezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangNiNjA View Post
It's just that nothing happens when I click on the links. It's a bit annoying having to copy links
Just something to try (not sure if you already have)... click on the link twice, or click on some text or whitespace and then click the link. I had to do that when running 2.0.0.12 on XP (except it was with the latest non-beta Firefox). Do you have Firefox set as your default browser?
Rezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 1:05 PM   #2268
Gierke

I'm using ff beta 5 pre (auto updates itself to the daily builds afaik) and it is very quick while browsing etc, but it takes at least 4 or 5 seconds to load after clicking the icon on the quick launch bar

I have nothing against gays or spiders, but I'll still scream if I find one in the shower.
Gierke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 1:30 PM   #2269
metamorphosis

Default Firefox/thunderbird optimised builds

I haven't used an optimised build of firefox/thunderbird/etc for a while as the advantages to doing so vs the amount of bugginess/incompatibility was slim, also most of the people who were doing builds have stopped. However recently I came across this guy's builds, which are great - I really notice the difference on my internet box, which is beginning to show it's age (just barely). Unlike some of the builders around, he puts up standard ('current' version) builds, as well as bleeding-edge releases (which I can't be bothered with). Recommended for firefox users.
Good luck & Onward Mozillan soldiers-
M
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 2:35 PM   #2270
WangNiNjA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezin View Post
Just something to try (not sure if you already have)... click on the link twice, or click on some text or whitespace and then click the link. I had to do that when running 2.0.0.12 on XP (except it was with the latest non-beta Firefox). Do you have Firefox set as your default browser?
Ahhh the default browser thing did the trick
WangNiNjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 6:54 AM   #2271
von Stalhein

Default lost Media players automation

Loading (for instance) the ABC radio URL in Firefox 2.0.0.12used to automatically start Media Player, but I have to do it manually now for some reason.

I presume it's in one of the strings in about:config?? I've had a look using filters etc. but the only ones there don't pertain to this particular issue as far as I can see.

TIA
Old 17th March 2008, 9:27 AM   #2272
billme

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Stalhein View Post
Loading (for instance) the ABC radio URL in Firefox 2.0.0.12used to automatically start Media Player, but I have to do it manually now for some reason.
Tools, Options, Content: Then under File Types click on Manage.

In here you can set what particular file types do and don't do. I sometimes go in and remove video/sound options to choose them to save or PDF's etc. Nice and easy. Check here, maybe VLC/Media Player Classic/Itunes or some other media player changed the file type config.

Not sure if it will help, I find WMP to be problematic in FF, but that maybe because I block WMP from Net access :P. VLC for the win.

For radio when I use to listen to ABC/Node I would just use Itunes but haven't bothered installing that program for some time. I would add them all in a playlist etc. Maybe there is an extension also for WMP to fix/load certain things.

WTB: Games - PC/PS1/PS2/PS3 - RPG/Action & others!
WTB: 775 CPU, Small SSD, PCI/E card, DDR2
billme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 12:18 PM   #2273
von Stalhein

Thanks, I did that - no dice

Yes, it was VLC that borked the link. I've changed it back to WMP, but it still won't kick off - and neither did VLC start before I changed it.
I'll keep looking.

It's not that much of a hassle, I can just paste the URL into the WMP box, but I'd like it to do it automatically.
Old 18th March 2008, 8:33 AM   #2274
Quelch

I'm using Thunderbird for the first time and have a query

In Outlook, when forwarding an e-mail I would remove all extraneous messages from the e-mail, such as ads and anti-virus messages, before forwarding

I can't do this in Thunderbird it just deletes the whole e-mail

How do I clean up a received e-mail before forwarding it ?

Asus N50 notebook with Win 7, 250 GB Solid State Drive
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 9:55 AM   #2275
billme

Quote:
Yes, it was VLC that borked the link. I've changed it back to WMP, but it still won't kick off - and neither did VLC start before I changed it.
Have you tried installing WMP again or un-installing VLC? Maybe a install of WMP11 or so might do the trick? Re-install of Firefox? Done a search for extensions maybe there is something out there? If I get a chance at some point today I might do a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
How do I clean up a received e-mail before forwarding it ?
I suspect you are forwarding the email as an attachment and not inline? (Ie so it shows you the forwarded email below or above where you are typing your message.)

Tools, Options, Composition: Forward attachments - "Inline".

Then you should be able to delete bits of the message etc.

Seems forwarding ignores your setting of you like to reply to a message above or below the email. If you want to change where it does that:

Tools, Account Settings, Composition & Addressing: "Automagically quote.." Then choose the option you would like.

Old 18th March 2008, 2:16 PM   #2276
Deftone2k

Ive used firefox for quite a while now at work and at home (typing on it now at work) but specifically on my PC at home its been so slow of late. Especially loading international sites. Ive i go to a forum page which has photobucket images embedded i could go and perculate a pot of coffee and come back before the images even load.

Its been unbelievably slow, has anyone else had this problem lately? If i load up the same identical page in I.E it will load 5 times as fast. I thought it might have been something computer related but ive tried dumping the cache and increased memory that firefox can use to no avail. My mother's PC was suffering this for a day or two as well but has gone away, mines been like this for a few weeks now.

Driving me bonkers, i love my quick link tabs available to use when im just hopping on the PC for a minute to check my forums Tried messing around the the settings, checked and I.E and firefox have same connection settings.

Uninstalled/Reinstalled.
Deftone2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 2:34 PM   #2277
Quelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by billme View Post
I suspect you are forwarding the email as an attachment and not inline? (Ie so it shows you the forwarded email below or above where you are typing your message.)

Tools, Options, Composition: Forward attachments - "Inline".

Then you should be able to delete bits of the message etc.

Seems forwarding ignores your setting of you like to reply to a message above or below the email. If you want to change where it does that:

Tools, Account Settings, Composition & Addressing: "Automagically quote.." Then choose the option you would like.
I fixed it !
As easy as that

Thanks billme

Asus N50 notebook with Win 7, 250 GB Solid State Drive
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 4:36 PM   #2278
billme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone2k View Post
Ive used firefox for quite a while now at work and at home (typing on it now at work) but specifically on my PC at home its been so slow of late. Especially loading international sites. Ive i go to a forum page which has photobucket images embedded i could go and perculate a pot of coffee and come back before the images even load.
*SNIP*
Uninstalled/Reinstalled.
What extensions have you got installed/enabled at the time? I have found things like Adblock Pro, NoScript, TabPlus, Browseimages(something like that haven't used it in a while) or GooglePreferences etc can affect some sites.

Maybe it has lots of adds (I know photobucket/image sharing sites do) and adblock is blocking something or NoScript etc and the page keeps trying to reload it for ages when it eventually gives up loading that part. (Even if its just Google syndication or random stuff like that).

Just had a thought after previewing this entire post and reading it --> Nothing else that could be causing issues loading - adobe reader, WMP/flash video etc?

Also what are your cookie settings? (I have them off, except I add in various sites in the exception list if required) This can play havoc on sites that set the size of an image for example that you are viewing so it remembers for the next one etc.

When you re-installed did you try it with no add ons enabled? Also made sure flash/shockwave are installed correctly - update them as well and turn off shockwave from trying to auto-update/provide usage statistics.

Not sure what else it could be, International/forums seem okay even ones with embedded pics. Got some example sites/threads?

Again the only time I seem to have issues is when something is blocking adds/or links on a page. Even if its something like a anti-spyware program has loaded a custom host file or inserted lists into Firefox's built in blocking manager etc. Where as IE likes loading anything and everything on a site...

Speaking of anti-spyware no other 3rd party app running in the background that could affect it that isn't running at the time of IE when you try the page (ie PeerGuardian, Firewall being silly) or ISP running out of international bandwidth? One way would be to test identical pages around the same time, not sure if you have done that or not. EDIT to clarify: I know you have done them, but not sure if around the same time or haven't closed programs in between etc.

Anyhow any more info I might be able to help further, but I seem to just use IE when I couldn't be bothered enabling 0987403284 script sites and allowing a site to use cookies etc, I tend to just do it on sites I visit frequently.

Quelch: Your welcome.

EDIT 2: I have found if you are downloading - so maybe not in this case but if you have a fairly lengthy download list (even if they are finished) things can get sluggish (even more so if you have lots of tabs open). Either clean it up after about 10-20 things or turn off the download history bit. But an un-install/re-install should of fixed that. Just an idea/note. Not sure if its the case in the newer versions, at work I have an older version still does it, here at home I have the history turned off so I haven't had to clean it up for a while and it either remembers that setting when it updates or I fix it up in my normal crazy mouse clicking thing I do when I config a piece of software. So funny when you install 10-20 apps at work and then go in an configure them, most people are dumbfounded and what you to slow down as they can not even read what you are doing, neither can I but I know what to click on . Best of luck with it mate, would annoy me to no end as well. (I love my bookmarks toolbar.)

Last edited by billme; 18th March 2008 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Idea!
Old 18th March 2008, 4:57 PM   #2279
Deftone2k

Wow lovely large reply

I have no extensions and no addons. First things i removed, Its not just photobucket its in general torrent sites and websites like www.mobileelectronics.com.au, US Ebay and quite a few other offshore sites. My international link (max my connection out at about 1.2mb/sec to mainly international connections at times).

Nah not AFAIK Adobe Reader/WMP/Flash arent involved here.

Cookies, now i mainly have these set on so i might try just allowing OCAU and a few of my sites that i regularily log into.

Have auto updates turned off on flash/shockwave and reinstalled new versions (another thing i tried thinking it could be that). Also turning off Windows Firewall and AVG does not help. All i do is copy the link out of Firefox into I.E and it loads instantly.

I thought it could have been utorrent slowing up Firefox by me getting hit with incoming connections, but I.E works perfectly when utorrent is running (even with 20+ torrents on) so...

Ill try find some.. tbh a lot of the time this was happening was with www.mininova.org and www.eztv.it it would take forever to load eztv.it pages. Even then if i clicked onto one to load up the downloadable link it would take 3 - 4mins to load up and i can load up 10 tabs in I.E at the same site and its all up within 20 - 30 secs.

Thanks for the tips, ill try a fresh install again and turn off history.

Just seems so random to me and yeah its driving me absolutely mental, its bad enough utorrent loads slowly with only 1 torrent started.

EDIT: Timed it, photobucket in Firefox takes 1min 40secs to load the whole page.

I check console afterwards i get;

Warning: Expected declaration but found '/'. Skipped to next declaration.
Source File: http://static.photobucket.com/includ...e_v10.1.11.css
Line: 644

34 other messages like that.

I just tried now with I.E it loaded the whole page including images in 26 seconds.

Last edited by Deftone2k; 18th March 2008 at 5:04 PM.
Deftone2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 5:07 PM   #2280
billme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone2k View Post
Wow lovely large reply
*SNIP*
So with UT closed down (Ie not running or downloading) does Firefox improve? Maybe number of connections for servers - Firefox tries to use too many or too less not sure and when UT is running it is causing it issues and IE works differently. I am sure there is a setting (or used to be, I think it was initially in Opera where I used to set it, about how many server connections it would try and load).

Really sounds screwy though if its taking that long.
MobileElectronics took maybe 2-3 seconds to load, most things was the side menu and the pics and that is with no cookies/scripts blocked/ad block probably blocking something.

Just refreshed and read your edit, beats me, Java fixed up as well? I also turn off Java in my Firefox install and turn off the extra things JavaScript can do. Got a page for me to test?

EDIT: Don't have the suspected forgery thing enabled to check Google on every page you visit? Still haven't said anything about other extensions like Adblock/NoScript?
EDIT 2: So just the plain old www.photobucket.com site?

Quote:
It's not that much of a hassle, I can just paste the URL into the WMP box, but I'd like it to do it automatically.
Launchy Extension, should be able to then right click on link and launch it to WMP, not exactly what you want, but easier than copy/paste.

Haven't tested it, but was just browsing and found it.

Last edited by billme; 18th March 2008 at 5:10 PM.