Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 4th April 2004, 3:09 PM   #1
GenoCyber Thread Starter

Default Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATA Raid Controller Issue

I currently have a Gigabyte 8INXP motherboard which has two Silicon Image SATA ports on board. I have two 250 GB hard drives connected to these ports. I also have a PCI SATA raid controller card that uses a Silicon Image Sil 3112 controller chip.

I havenít been able to successfully install the drivers for the PCI SATA card as when I reboot the computer it will not restart and just stops at the Windows XP loading screen.

If anyone as any idea what I need to do so that I can successfully install the PCI SATA card it will be much appreciated. Does anyone know of conflict issues with on board SATA chips with additional SATA chips on PCI cards?
GenoCyber is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th April 2004, 3:58 PM   #2
froggi

had the similar problem before.... my situation was that the pci raid card did not like it when the system tried too boot off the onboard sata, however booting from the raid card was fine
froggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 6:19 PM   #3
SARRAS

"I havenít been able to successfully install the drivers for the PCI SATA card as when I reboot the computer it will not restart and just stops at the Windows XP loading screen."

although I'm not familiar with your board, I do have a SiI sata 3112 card in mine connected to a backup drive, with the 'boot' drive being the onboard SATA 3512a in RAID.

The thing is, in my bios, there's a setting something like SCSCI/RAID boot order - in there, once the card was fitted, TWO SiI RAID conrollers showed up, and you have to juggle the order of these two to get windows to boot off the right one.

The piece in quotes above lets me think you may have to juggle around in a similar place in your bios to get it to work.
|Lian Li PC-V300A / GA-MA78GM-S2H / Athlon X2 6400+ / 4X2048 Corsair PC6400 / MSI HD2600XT 512mb / AuzenTech HDA X-Plosion 7.1 DTS Connect / 2 X WD RE2/500GB SATA II 7200rpm 16MB / 2 X ASUS DRW-1814BL / Thermaltake ToughPower 750 / Samsung Syncmaster 226BW / Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 Speakers / MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 / MS Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 / Vista Ultimate 64 / XP Pro|
SARRAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 6:56 AM   #4
GenoCyber Thread Starter

The computer seems to be booting from the correct hard drive as I only have one bootable hard drive which is connected to the motherboard SATA channel 1. The problem seems to happen when I load the drivers from device manager for the new PCI raid card and Iím prompted to reboot my computer which I do.

It restarts and I can see both SATA controller biosís. The first card detects both of my SATA hard drives and the second card doesnít detect anything which is correct since I havenít connected any hard drives to the second PCI SATA controller.

When windows XP starts to load the loading screen is displayed which has the small blue bar that movies from left to right. After about 10 seconds the blue bar stops moving and then the computer just freezes. The only thing I can then do is restart the computer and choose last know good hardware.
Old 6th April 2004, 9:23 AM   #5
SARRAS

so which drivers are you loading? Are they all the same type - meaning are they all RAID or Base. Are they all the same version? I'd suggest that whatever driver you've used for the onboard will also have to be the driver type / version for the card..

If that checks out maybe the card is a dud - I bought two of the controllers I was using and only one was okay - though the fact that the card's bios shows up is a positive sign - the dud one I bought didn't show the bios. Anyway, to test it, can you load the card okay in another machine?
|Lian Li PC-V300A / GA-MA78GM-S2H / Athlon X2 6400+ / 4X2048 Corsair PC6400 / MSI HD2600XT 512mb / AuzenTech HDA X-Plosion 7.1 DTS Connect / 2 X WD RE2/500GB SATA II 7200rpm 16MB / 2 X ASUS DRW-1814BL / Thermaltake ToughPower 750 / Samsung Syncmaster 226BW / Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 Speakers / MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 / MS Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 / Vista Ultimate 64 / XP Pro|

Last edited by SARRAS; 6th April 2004 at 9:25 AM.
SARRAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2004, 2:48 AM   #6
kasi

I have a 3112A based PCI card and I had trouble once with freezing because of file corruption in the driver files. I downloaded the driver again and it then worked properly.
Also I use the non raid BIOS (Base). After I flashed recently to the latest 4.2.47 Base BIOS Windows would freeze while booting with flashing cursor at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". I had to reflash with 4.2.12 Base to get it to work again. If all else fails you could try flashing your 3112A card to a different version of the 3112A BIOS. This should proabably only be done as a last resort however and the usual cautions apply, because a bad flash will leave your card unusable.
kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 10:26 AM   #7
GenoCyber Thread Starter

I have downloaded new drivers which haven't helped the situation. I even tried the same drivers which I'm using for my onboard SATA controller without any luck.

The drivers which I have tried are Base drivers. Where did people download their drivers from as the Silicon Image web site doesn't have any drivers to download? The drivers that I have used have the following details.

Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATARaid Controller
Driver Provide: Silicon Image
Driver Date: 3/02/2004
Driver Version: 1.0.0.47
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

If anyone knows what drivers I should try please let me know and also where I could download them from.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th April 2004, 1:35 PM   #8
kasi

The drivers you have shown (Version 1.0.0.47) are RAID drivers. I use the Base (non RAID) drivers because I have flashed my card to a non RAID BIOS. The ones I use are shown on the Silicon Image site under Downloads > Drivers > SIl3X12 as: 10471 SiI3x12: Serial ATA (SATA) Windows IDE Driver - Released (5.3 kb) 10/6/2003. They are driver Version 1.0.0.52.
What BIOS version and message does your SATA card display when your computer boots? There are both RAID and non RAID SATA cards and I think the only difference is the BIOS. If you are using the RAID drivers and your card has a non RAID BIOS, then this may be why it is freezing.
Also sometimes the BIOS is disabled on these kind of cards when nothing is attached and no message is displayed about this. This could also be causing trouble.
To get to the Silicon Image Customer Resource Centre where you can download drivers and read troubleshooting tips, go to the website www.siimage.com and type 3112 in the "Product Search and Support" box and click "GO".

Last edited by kasi; 11th April 2004 at 1:44 PM.
kasi is offline   Reply With Quote