Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food > Geek Recipes

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th August 2005, 7:56 AM   #16
Lem Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrv
Hey Lem, do you think there would be a problem if it is frosty over night while drying the meat outside?
Frosty is probably not as bad as raining/humid, as the air is usually dry when its frosty outside. Just dont let it get wet/rained on/dew etc.

Trust me guys, it is much simpler than it sounds. When I started I worried endlessly about the meat, not I just hang and forget...for 3 days that is!

Cheers

Lem
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th August 2005, 12:33 PM   #17
Dismember

I've been hankering for some dried meat, going down to Woolworths to start a batch right this instance. Thanks for the tips.
Old 11th August 2005, 4:11 PM   #18
n000b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem
Firstly how dry/wet do you like to eat your biltong? I like mine moist, while my wife prefers very dry, so she gets to wait an extra day or 2.

Also the thicker you cut the meat, the longer it takes to dry. If you are in a humid climate it will take longer as well.

On average mine (in Sydney) dries in about 5 days. I have had one lot take about 10 days - it was raining alot

I usually snack on the first one after 3 days tho... quality control ....
I like mine drier - when it's too wet, even though it tastes basically the same, it reminds me too much of raw meat and puts me off it

So if I made a strip that was 2-3cm in diametre (after drying), how long should it be out for approximately?
n000b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 8:39 PM   #19
Lem Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n000b
I like mine drier - when it's too wet, even though it tastes basically the same, it reminds me too much of raw meat and puts me off it

So if I made a strip that was 2-3cm in diametre (after drying), how long should it be out for approximately?
The meat shrinks alot while drying - at least 50% I'd say, so work it out from there. If u want it dry and quick just make the pieces thinner. Id say about 7 days for dry tho - thats when the missus eats em.

Cheers

Lem
Old 13th August 2005, 1:14 PM   #20
n000b

Thanks mate
n000b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 2:53 PM   #21
Lem Thread Starter

My latest batch is hanging/drying right now

I think I'm gonna try make droewors (dried sausage) next.

Cheers

Lem
Old 13th August 2005, 3:06 PM   #22
ezee
Fold On - RIP

A quicker alternative than hanging to dry:

If your home, flat, shack or whatever has a fan forced oven, lay the salted meat across the oven racks, turn on the fan, no heat. Works a treat and many times faster than direct air drying. No hooks, no strung lines, no wooden boxes.
GrumpyOldMen, OCAU Addicted to Folding Club, Member #69

Remember the Battle of Brisbane!
I'm just a soul whose intentions are good.
O Lord! Please don't let me be misunderstood

Last edited by ezee; 13th August 2005 at 3:07 PM.
ezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 3:20 PM   #23
XST

daym, ive missed biltong for so long (well, 3 years). lived there, and loved it when i did

thanks for the recipe. wil ltry it soon (when i have the time)

Successful Trades: mr_mordred2095 (x7), CD, Duck_Boy, comtechman911, Lem0n, Megido Flame, Volnhar, xb99, DraYTox, IceWind, MiniDisc, Leggit, Smokin Whale, dembones, JonBanez, chk, daehenoc (x2), MomijiTMO, Myst, akaminki, billet, mr_wrxman, _slappy_dn_, maarty, Raverz, Ash_Williams, Kevlarman, Euphoreia (x3), Matster, slingshotpk, WuzzA21, BigTosser, staffy007
XST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 6:55 PM   #24
toxxic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee
A quicker alternative than hanging to dry:

If your home, flat, shack or whatever has a fan forced oven, lay the salted meat across the oven racks, turn on the fan, no heat. Works a treat and many times faster than direct air drying. No hooks, no strung lines, no wooden boxes.
How long does this usually take for your standard sized meat strips to dry? I am interested in doing this but other people in the household may want to use the oven/stove...
Old 14th August 2005, 7:02 PM   #25
ezee
Fold On - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxxic
How long does this usually take for your standard sized meat strips to dry? I am interested in doing this but other people in the household may want to use the oven/stove...
I don't do biltong, but same product, different name, air dried salted beef or game American style. Hardtack. Sometimes with smoked meat.

Usually chipped or sliced as thin as possible. This takes a few hours at most. Thicker slices, I would expect overnight.
GrumpyOldMen, OCAU Addicted to Folding Club, Member #69

Remember the Battle of Brisbane!
I'm just a soul whose intentions are good.
O Lord! Please don't let me be misunderstood
ezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 7:35 PM   #26
Lem Thread Starter

Quote:
It depends on the thickness of the cuts of meat. One thing to remember is that the meat needs time to absorb the spice - the quicker you dry it, the less flavour gets absorbed.

Dryer-Boxes (with fans etc) take about 2 days - less if you like it wet, but you pay the price in flavour...

And as for American Style? This is South African Biltong, no yankee food here.
Old 14th August 2005, 7:54 PM   #27
toxxic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem
It depends on the thickness of the cuts of meat. One thing to remember is that the meat needs time to absorb the spice - the quicker you dry it, the less flavour gets absorbed.

Dryer-Boxes (with fans etc) take about 2 days - less if you like it wet, but you pay the price in flavour...
Was talking about the fan forced way, otherwise i dont think mum would apreciate having meat hanging about the house for a few days.

Might give this a shot in the oven sometime soon. Will let you guys know how it goes if i decide to do it.
Old 15th August 2005, 7:12 AM   #28
Lem Thread Starter

Quote:
Was talking about the fan forced way, otherwise i dont think mum would apreciate having meat hanging about the house for a few days.

Might give this a shot in the oven sometime soon. Will let you guys know how it goes if i decide to do it.
With thin strips (eg 1cmX1cm) with a fan (oven or desk) on it shouldnt take much more than a day.

I put my latest batch up on Saturday morning - the outsite is nice and cured, inside still too wet to eat tho - they are thick cuts.

I have noticed some flies around (not around the meat, around in general) so it seems the pesky buggers have come out of hiding. Will keep on monitoring the meat to ensure they dont take a liking to my food!

Cheers

Lem
Old 15th August 2005, 2:31 PM   #29
vdhdsgs

google says the bicarb soda is to prevent mould and saltpetre is a preservative (preventing nasties like botulism).

this saltpetre incident sounds scary: http://www.foodscience.afisc.csiro.a...fshbull10c.htm

i think i'm going to build a biltong box for this. spring weather is creeping in (ie mozzies appearing) and i don't want to attract or leave it open to vermin (ie rats).

is there an alternative to saltpetre?
vdhdsgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005, 3:50 PM   #30
Lem Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdhdsgs
google says the bicarb soda is to prevent mould and saltpetre is a preservative (preventing nasties like botulism).

this saltpetre incident sounds scary: http://www.foodscience.afisc.csiro.a...fshbull10c.htm

i think i'm going to build a biltong box for this. spring weather is creeping in (ie mozzies appearing) and i don't want to attract or leave it open to vermin (ie rats).

is there an alternative to saltpetre?

Hi,

I have not used salpetre at all, as Ive stated above - it seems to be bad for your health. I would suggest just leaving it out. I have also not used bicarb soda either - due to not finding it at my local coles. So far, no Ill effects feel free to use that though.

As for the box, mine is still hanging outside - flies dont seem to keen. Remember pepper keeps nasties away as well, and if you hang the stuff rats shouldnt be able to get to it. I still have a box in reserve tho.

Cheers

Lem