Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Audio Visual

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th August 2006, 12:55 AM   #1
richan3185 Thread Starter

Default Review: iriver clix 2gb

Picked one of these up today, decided to post my thoughts on them.

Got the kit from JBHifi after rocking up just after the last boxed one had been sold. I wasent too fussed and took the display model. Total lot cost me $300 or so. On to the good stuff

1) iRiver Clix 2Gb media player
2) Official Accessory Pack - Silicone case, arm band, Screen protector, necklace (wtf?)

The entire unit was pack very neatly with everything in its own little box. Possibly abit of the top but whatever. The boxes have one of the worst chemical smells to them...something to do with the finish i think.

What you get: Generally from left to right...

Rather heavy duty propierty USB cable. Really would have liked to have seen a standard mini-usb plug.
Protective Case + rubber iriver tag. The underside is a nice soft material perfect for cleaning the surface of the player
iriver clix in all its glory
EarBuds. Im not completly sure but there are extremly similar to the Sennheiser buds that came with the H-320. More on them later
The Silicone case.
Arm band...stretchy for those with bulging Hoff bicepts
Manual/warranty/disk etc

Initially plugging the clix in was greated with a "Warning Battery Low" shortly followed by a "Charging, please be patient". Fine...ill come back later
Some time later i was getting itchy feet, so plugged in the earbuds which woke up the player.

First impression....wow! Nice screen! It really is stunning. The QVGA (320x240) LCD display really is beauitful. You can see here the home screen as iriver call it with your main options.

More on all that later. Lets take a look at the actual player:

Its alot smaller that most of the promo shots make it out to be. In my hand it looks tiny :S

Along each side you can see the usual culprits on this sort of device. Wierdo USB plug, power, hold, volume, etc.

A note on the hold switch. It is mostly mechanical. It stops the black piece of plastic moving about (the way you control the clix) but also you can see its locked from a tiny padlock on the display. Microphone hole and reset are discretly on either edge as well.

The UI and control mechanism really sets this apart. For those who dont know the clix is basically a iriver U10 with an updated firmware and more capacity. The U10 suffered from a slow UI and was relativly expencive for its capacity (512mb/1gb). The clix fixes all that. The UI is speedy, intuitive, and pretty much idiot proof. The price and capacity are also much more tempting.
You move around by pressing any side of the device. It give u a nice little click. The bigest problem is finger prints...the top is a sheer magnet for them.
OCAU Camera Club Member #211

For Sale:
richan3185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th August 2006, 12:55 AM   #2

From earlier you can see the main screen with options displayed in one form or another and music highlightd. The device is PlaysForSure complient and as long as you use Mp10/11 (11 is supplied on teh disk) everything in the music menu will be sorted and ordered for you in a very ipod'ish style.

Album art will also come through automatically.

The quick list is a simple tool. Pretty much browse you music list, choose the music you want to hear and add it to the quick list by holding the right hand side of the screen for a second or so. Also as you can see theres other options...im yet to see what buy does but i suspect its a DRM infested thingo.

The other big selling point of this player is its video capacity. Although limited to 15fps @ 320x240 its suprisingly smooth, and for the occational familyguy episode to pass the time is perfect! Encoding is done with the iriverter software available off sourceforge. My pc encodes a 20minepisode in about 3 mins ~110fps taking about 80mb of room. (A64 3500).

The settings section doesnt really have alot of stuff in it. The Data&Time is a nice idea buy mostly useful if you intend to use the Alarm feature in the Extras menu. Display has stuff like brightness, time to off, etc. The smart key is the little button next to the power button. It can be set to a variety of things including home screen, now playing, music, video, picture menus etc. Timer is the sleep time. Advanced has reset, format, etc. About is the usual stuff about iriver the company.

The Extras menu is pretty self explanitary. I havent tried the flash games yet. iriver have a selection downloadable from their US website. Browse device can be used if you want to play music not imported through mediaplayer....or browsing.

I almost forgot the radio. The preset interface actually works! Holding the right hand brings up the preset menu. Top and bottom switch through presets. Simple. FM quality is as good as any other device iv heard.

Audio quality from iriver has always been good and the clix is no different. I found the reporoduction very accurate (as accurate as mp3 can be) with good high, mid and a fairly solid bass line. This brings me to the ear buds, definatly a step above what most other manufactures supply...and you still get to look ipod hip, cool, with white ear buds!!! i really wish they were black

The silicone case, although i didnt take a picture with it on is very 'bendable' and provides very nice protection for your clix. It has a belt clip on it which is removable with abit of effort. The arm band works well....it does what its advertised to do. The Accessory pack also comes with screen protectores (2 of them!) which are easily removable and reattachable. Nice addition.

Battery life is still with the jury, ill update with the final figues but iriver advertise 25hours of music or 5 hours of video. Being realisted prolly looking at 20-22 / 4-5 hours.

Final thoughts...if your abit like me and have a decent music collection but listen to only 20% of it, dont want to outlay for a full fledged 30gb Vision:M, but still want decent funcitionality, UI, battery life the concider the Clix. It really is a fantasic player.
Cons: FINGER PRINTS! the volume buttons are a little small. 30fps would be nice but its not a big deal...the 15fps really looks fine. Bout it really.

One other thing, the player seems very pocket friendly. Walked aound for quite a while with it in there today and came out happy.

For Sale:
Old 11th August 2006, 10:48 AM   #3
DoCsIs

Great review mate. Looks like a nice little mp3 player.
http://www.themilepost.com.au/index.php?product=726
DoCsIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 11:22 AM   #4
alistair_osborn

Thanks for the review. Would like to hear more about it after a few weeks of regular use - any annoying quirks about the interface, do you really watch videos on that tiny screen, etc.

Alistair
Old 11th August 2006, 1:03 PM   #5
petal666

Can it record from the radio?

"recordings" in one of those screen shots suggests you probably can.

FS: BH G6 Dura-ace 9000
petal666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 2:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by petal666
Can it record from the radio?

"recordings" in one of those screen shots suggests you probably can.
Yes, it can record form the internal mic or radio. There are a variety of ecoding options for both up to ~300kbps mp3.

Thanks for the comments people. Watching video, as i said in the review is ok if you just want to pass some time. If you were after a portable video player i wouldnt recommend this, but for the occational quick vid its perfect.

For Sale:
Old 13th August 2006, 1:16 AM   #7
xinzhitan14

hey mate

i recently got my Clix aswell.. got it for $299 at DSE because the JB hifi in the city didnt have any mp3players .

how much did the acessory kit cost you?? i could do with a silicon case =P.

the games are good but there are more out there.. http://www.gadgetkorea.com/ has quite a lot.. too bad you need 80posts to view the HD games (high def)

unforunately i cannot get my Album art to work =(. i tried heaps of different suggest ways on www.misticriver.com and no luck. no biggies. i dont really care about album art, just would be nice if it was there.

also i was very very surprised on how clear the 2.2" QVGA screen was. amazing.. my previous mp3player (samsung yp-d1z) with a 1.8" screen was similar to a standard phone where you can see each individual block.

Last edited by xinzhitan14; 13th August 2006 at 1:20 AM.
xinzhitan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 1:31 AM   #8
cyrax83

$300 for 2gb seems a bit expensive, although it does match the nano's rrp and seems better than them

Last edited by cyrax83; 13th August 2006 at 1:33 AM.
cyrax83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 1:43 AM   #9
xinzhitan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax83
$300 for 2gb seems a bit expensive, although it does match the nano's rrp and seems better than them
yeh thats what i thought. the nano doesnt really have anything that special about it apart from the thickness of it (.8cm thick). the screen is a tiny 1.5" and isnt really good for videos or pictures. the ohter mp3players i mention below are all with 1.8" (apart from the clix) which are reasonble for pictures and videos. The clix's screen is big enough to view subtitles and soccer videos.

the mp3player market is pretty balanced. there are qutie a few options you can go for around $300 for 2GB models.
prices from dse
samsung YP-Z5 2gb $320
ipod nano 2gb $299
samsung YP-D1Q 2gb $279
iriver clix 2GB $299
as you can see the yare all pretty much around the same pricing.
i owned a samsung yp-d1z before and it was full of features (2.0mp camera, inbuilt speaker). but i sold it recently and got the clix because the screen was a 2.2" QVGA and the clarity blew me away.
Old 17th August 2006, 11:45 PM   #10
Julz

hrmm how does this compare to an ipod nano? I just sold my nano 4gb and im in the market for a replacement. Originally tried to line up a secondhand ipod video but it fell thru. Hoping for the second chance at getting an ipod video but nothing's certain so im looking at the clix as an alternative.

Anyone know whether there is a noticeable diff in sound quality between Ipod (nano/video) and the clix?

Cheers

Julian
Julz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 1:48 AM   #11
Imitation

That's great. About time they released something competetive. Don't get me wrong, their other products are ok too but they are just more of the same same same... this puts them out in front again.
Imitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 2:06 AM   #12

Just to update a few thoughts.
Iv been running with it a few times now. The arm band is awesome, after a few minutes you dont even realise its there, and being stretchy really makes a difference.
Battery life is almost as advertised! Using VBR (192-320)kbps mp3 i get 22 hours or so.
One little problem iv discovered, the unit is unresponsive until the display activates. There are two senarios here.

1. clix is in Hold mode. When you take it out of hold, the display lights up ready to use before you have a chance to do much else.
2. clix is not in Hold. Push one of the navigation/volume/etc buttons and nothing happens till the screen is light. Usually end up pusing the button you want a few times.

Its not really thaat bigger deal, but annoys me fairly often.

The other little annoying thing is that my Xbox360 cannot read from clix. This is to do with not being UMS complient and the 360 only having support of ipod's and not PlaysForSure devices (microsoft are wierd). Not such a big deal because i stream it over the network, but it would be nice is they could be friends.

For Sale:
Old 18th August 2006, 2:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz
Anyone know whether there is a noticeable diff in sound quality between Ipod (nano/video) and the clix?
Personally i have found the irivers to be a more pleasing sound, but alot of it has to do with what sort of headphones you are using. Not to say the ipods have a bad sounds...the iriver is just nicer.

For Sale:
Old 18th August 2006, 2:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinzhitan14
how much did the acessory kit cost you?? i could do with a silicon case =P.
The acessory kit has a going rate of ~$30. I pretty much got it throw in though. Total cost was $304 or somthing.
I still havent opened the "necklace" thingo. But the case and armband are nice products. Prolly not worth the full $30 though.

edit: sorry for 3 replies in a row. kept going back and seeing things forgot to say

For Sale:
Old 18th August 2006, 9:52 AM   #15
MotoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richan3185
2. clix is not in Hold. Push one of the navigation/volume/etc buttons and nothing happens till the screen is light. Usually end up pusing the button you want a few times.

The other little annoying thing is that my Xbox360 cannot read from clix. This is to do with not being UMS complient and the 360 only having support of ipod's and not PlaysForSure devices (microsoft are wierd). Not such a big deal because i stream it over the network, but it would be nice is they could be friends.
My iriver T10 512 meg thingy ma bob does the same thing with pressing the buttons.. wont change song until the screen is on..

However it happily chats to the xbox360.. see if you can put the clix in Mass Storage mode
MotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote