Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th February 2007, 5:01 PM   #1
Simonk83 Thread Starter

Default Powerware 5110 UPS Vista Drivers?

When are Powerware going to sort themselves out and release Vista drivers! It's all well and good having the UPS protecting against surges, but it'd be nice if it could shut down the PC when it needs to during a blackout

C'mon Powerware! You're bloody late
Simonk83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st February 2007, 3:14 PM   #2
Simonk83 Thread Starter

Guess I'm the only one with a Powerware
Old 22nd February 2007, 5:14 PM   #3
Simonk83 Thread Starter

Got a reply back today from an email that I sent at the start of the month:

Quote:
G'Day Simon,

Thank you for using Powerware Technical Support.

Eaton is now working on a new updated version of LanSafe and USB driver for Vista. There is no scheduled release at this time but I estimate it will be April - June time frame.

Regards
Old 7th June 2007, 5:01 PM   #4
Simonk83 Thread Starter

This is ridiculous. Just got the following email:
Quote:
I Have just been informed by the LanSafe Product Manager that the USB drivers for Vista will be released around October 2007
I apologise for the delay in the release of the drivers and I will keep you notified of any changes in the release timeframe.

Regards
Good of them to keep me updated, but shocking work on the drivers

EDIT: !!!!! Just noticed as I went to reply he's CC'd a huge list of other randoms on the email! Obviously people like me who have inquired in the past. Great, now we all have a list of each others email addresses. What a sham
Old 9th June 2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Iscran

That sucks, I have that USP too
Iscran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 11:40 PM   #6
Reva

I have a 5110 as well. Have never needed to use any of my UPS's software for an auto shutdown though, in 9 years here in Brisbane we've never had a power outage long enough. Usually just a 1/2 a second dip, and thats all.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 12:14 AM   #7
Ambush

I've been waiting around 6 months so far. What's another 3? >
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 8:16 AM   #8
dcyloo

Bumping this post up to prominence rather than creating a new thread on this.

I was emailed yesterday alongside a whole long list of people saying that the LanSafe 5.1.3 version was available for download. I downloaded the software and updated the driver for the UPS. Then uninstalled 5.1.2 and then updated to 5.1.3

Guess what happened - no communications with the UPS still. My UPS is a 3105 Powerware - slightly different than the 5110's discussed here but as they're both the same manufacturer I am hazarding a guess the USB drivers are similar?

Has anyone who has recently updated to the new software and drivers report similar issues?
I find it more and more difficult to purchase electronic consumer goods that are produced outside of China. All because of Kogan. They are the company who started all of this. Thank goodness for apple. I may get charged a fortune, but at least I know the goods are being made by happy, well paid workers.
dcyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 8:18 AM   #9
Simonk83 Thread Starter

It did say in the email to make sure you completely remove any previous versions of Lansafe before installing the new one

It's working fine for me. Try uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch.
Old 28th September 2007, 8:42 AM   #10
dcyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonk83 View Post
It did say in the email to make sure you completely remove any previous versions of Lansafe before installing the new one

It's working fine for me. Try uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch.
I did. I uninstalled 5.1.2 before installing 5.1.3.

The LanSafe monitor system tray icon now appears where 5.1.2 didn't have that available. It just isn't communicating with the UPS. Perhaps it's a firewall thing?
I find it more and more difficult to purchase electronic consumer goods that are produced outside of China. All because of Kogan. They are the company who started all of this. Thank goodness for apple. I may get charged a fortune, but at least I know the goods are being made by happy, well paid workers.
Old 28th September 2007, 8:46 AM   #11
Simonk83 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyloo View Post
I did. I uninstalled 5.1.2 before installing 5.1.3.

The LanSafe monitor system tray icon now appears where 5.1.2 didn't have that available. It just isn't communicating with the UPS. Perhaps it's a firewall thing?
Ah, sorry, I read your post wrong Are you sure the driver update worked properly (for the X-thingy)?
Old 28th September 2007, 10:13 AM   #12
dcyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonk83 View Post
Ah, sorry, I read your post wrong Are you sure the driver update worked properly (for the X-thingy)?
Pretty sure I did it properly - went through and selected the manual location thingie and selected the specific USB driver from the expanded LanSafe folder that came from the 5.1.3 download package. Driver version shows 25/7/07 or something like that (just going on memory here because I'm at work at the moment)

What date is the driver version that should be the one that is working?
Old 28th September 2007, 10:21 AM   #13
Simonk83 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyloo View Post
Pretty sure I did it properly - went through and selected the manual location thingie and selected the specific USB driver from the expanded LanSafe folder that came from the 5.1.3 download package. Driver version shows 25/7/07 or something like that (just going on memory here because I'm at work at the moment)

What date is the driver version that should be the one that is working?
I'm not sure to be honest, I'm at work too The only thing I did differently was tell it search the whole folder (I didn't choose the specific file), so it's possible mine used a different file.

EDIT: Someone just posted this on WP:

Quote:
I've installed it without issue but had to manually add the Power Monitor .exe to Vista Firwall control to be able to communicate with my UPS via USB. That's a step that many standard users might not think to do (when they encounter comms issues).
Old 28th September 2007, 10:54 AM   #14
dcyloo

Quote:
I've installed it without issue but had to manually add the Power Monitor .exe to Vista Firwall control to be able to communicate with my UPS via USB. That's a step that many standard users might not think to do (when they encounter comms issues).
Hmm... I just received an email reply from someone at Eaton about this not 3 minutes ago:
Quote:
If you are having communication failure errors this usually means the the firewall is preventing LanSafe from operating properly,
goto control panel - windows firewall - "allow program through the firewall" - exceptions tab, click on "add program" - browse - and navigate to the c:\program files\ powerware\lansafe\bin directory and add the following programs

PowerMonitor
PowerMonitorExecute
PowerMonitorBroadcast
PowerMonitorBroadcastList

then try LanSafe without reinstalling
I don't use Windows Firewall - it's been completely disabled. I have ZoneAlarm Pro so I'll have to set those up to allow I guess and pray that it works.