Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th April 2007, 12:54 AM   #1
Crash Dummy Thread Starter

Default How not to start an electric bench drill

Refer to the title.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZglKBX1F_4

Presented by Crash Dummy
Filmed by MSmola2002

Now on a serious note. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this ? Should I just buy another one or do I just continue doing as I have done in the video ?

The drill is actually brand new and hadn't been used. It's just been sitting in a shed for many years so warranty repair / replacement isn't an option.
Crash Dummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 30th April 2007, 1:23 AM   #2
=XTG=

LOL hey thats a pretty good idea!
i thought this was one of those crazy stunts.. and when you tied the starter cord to the wheel i was just expecting it to suddenly whirr into life!
never knew they used a capacitor to start them. maybe yeah just replace the cap could it be like something jammed? (noob with these things)

-j

Camera club member #199
=XTG= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 9:04 AM   #3
khendar

Going to be an interesting day when that cord doesn't release from the gear and you start living up to your name
Old 30th April 2007, 9:40 AM   #4
pugsley

Ha brilliant! I will have to remember that trick if mine ever dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Why is it so easy to get "rational" people to fight one another over the most meaningless shit?
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 3:25 PM   #5

Just in case anyone here knows what's going on the standard cap is labeled as being I think 3.2mF while I do have another cap from another AC motor on hand I can try it is rated at 4.3uF

I haven't got much idea what the ratings mean when it comes to capacitors. Just that the voltage matters most when finding replacements. The replacement is rated at 415v so I'm set there.

I'm very aware of the potential electric shock risk too from a possibly charged capacitor. I'll have to find a way to discharge it first before I do any work on the motor. I'm thinking set of alligator clips hooked up to a light globe or something and just touch it onto the leads for a few seconds. Then dead short it with my insulated screw driver ? (Obviously while unplugged from the mains )

Last edited by Crash Dummy; 30th April 2007 at 3:27 PM.
Old 30th April 2007, 4:32 PM   #6
ojk007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Dummy View Post
I'm very aware of the potential electric shock risk too from a possibly charged capacitor. I'll have to find a way to discharge it first before I do any work on the motor. I'm thinking set of alligator clips hooked up to a light globe or something and just touch it onto the leads for a few seconds. Then dead short it with my insulated screw driver ? (Obviously while unplugged from the mains )
RS sell all sorts of caps you would undoubtedly be able to find one there, Just make sure its the same one. Rating i mean.

As far as discharge google has some very good results
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...acitor&spell=1
Old 30th April 2007, 4:43 PM   #7

I was just thinking. If I stuck my multimeter on the capacitor to show voltage it will show a voltage when charged right ?
Old 30th April 2007, 5:07 PM   #8
pugsley

Thats if the capacitor is getting charged at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Why is it so easy to get "rational" people to fight one another over the most meaningless shit?
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 5:11 PM   #9

Well that's it aye. Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 30th April 2007, 5:39 PM   #10
mAJORD

haha

I did this when I was about 14-15 on a similar type of motor that uses a Start winding + centrifical switch instead of the cap. (very easy to tell these motors as they make an audible click on turn on, and another just before they stop turning.)

Anyway I used the start cord method just to run it for a while and see if it was burnt out before attempting to fix the rest of it up, and somehow, after starting, it ended up winding back the cord with my thumb caught in it. Back went my hand in no time, got wrapped around the pulley and nearly broke my wrist. Thankfully it was only 1/4HP and it jammed, with me in an extremely unco position, and soiled pants.

Any more it would have certainly broken something. Never again :P

Still very very torquey motors for their HP rating though once synced, and could have easily been a lot worse.
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 5:45 PM   #11
kombiman

You overclock your drill?

Howdidyoudothat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post

Still very very torquey motors for their HP rating though once synced, and could have easily been a lot worse.
Old 30th April 2007, 6:15 PM   #12
Cererus

You're better off going to an industrial electrical suppler rather than RS of Farkenhell for motor start caps
Turks or TLE, GEC or look for motor rewinders in the yellow pages.

[QUOTE=Mitch01
] I speak from experience when I say rolling your car 5 times into a creek, or spinning at 100kph into a guard rail are truly pants shitting moments.
Cererus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 7:31 PM   #13
dmandn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Dummy View Post
Just in case anyone here knows what's going on the standard cap is labeled as being I think 3.2mF while I do have another cap from another AC motor on hand I can try it is rated at 4.3uF

I haven't got much idea what the ratings mean when it comes to capacitors. Just that the voltage matters most when finding replacements. The replacement is rated at 415v so I'm set there.

Make sure every rating on the cap is the same as the replacement, if you get the wrong one you could either screw up the cap or the circuitry around the drill, especially if charged volt is higher than current ones charged volt, can't remember what its called but that can kill the whole thing.
Old 30th April 2007, 8:23 PM   #14
elementalelf

i gotta try this with my sander, it has the same problem(cant see any caps tho )
spellcheck before paying someone out
Can omniscient God who Knows the future find The omnipotence to Change His future mind?
elementalelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 8:55 PM   #15
Symon
(Plugging your Socket)

Two main things matter with capacitors of this type - size and voltage rating. 415V is fine since you are running it off 240V. If the one that has died is a 3.2uF, you should be fine with a 4.5uF. The only problem with a larger capacitor is that there will be a higher torque created so it will draw more current. Depending on the size of the motor this may cause circuit breakers to trip.

Forget the component suppliers (RS, Farnell etc), just rock down to your local electrical store and they should have a capacitor for you. Should be dirt cheap too.

"The biggest problem in Australia is the tall poppy syndrome. Without tall poppies you have only weeds" - Lindsay Fox
Symon is offline   Reply With Quote