Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 9th May 2007, 9:12 PM   #1
kuruptz Thread Starter

Default Is the minimum speed of adsl2+ 1.5mbit? regardless of distance?

Hey

I am between 6-8 kms from my exchange, if i sign up for adsl2+ (the plan is cheaper then 1.5bit anyway) will my MINIMUM speed be 1.5mbit or is it possible to go lower?

Thanks
kuruptz is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 9th May 2007, 9:56 PM   #2
sandman72

I have a friend who is about the same distance and he syncs around 3.5. use to have drop outs but I believe his new modem has solved that problem
sandman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 3:47 AM   #3
Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruptz View Post
Hey

I am between 6-8 kms from my exchange, if i sign up for adsl2+ (the plan is cheaper then 1.5bit anyway) will my MINIMUM speed be 1.5mbit or is it possible to go lower?

Thanks
Kuruptz , yeah 1500/256 should be min, you most likely get more.

Only other issue I see you having at long distance is ping time might be higher, By default on most ADSL2+ , the line is forced into Interleave mode for better stabilty and throughput,the trade off at long distance can add upto 20ms to you ping times.

Some ISP allow you to turn it off (Internode &IInet maybe others?) Optus, TPG and Telstra dont allow the user to turn interleave on/off for ADSL2+. Telstra Wholesale (TW) lines at 8000/384 are also stuck on interleave. I'm pretty sure but not certain about TW 1500/256 has interleaved turned off by default, so you should get a better ping time ,provided your line is clean.

On noisy lines interleaving can improve ping times.

F.
Old 10th May 2007, 8:06 AM   #4
painkiller

when telstra test your line for adsl2 they only allow your connection if you can hold a stable 1500
Old 10th May 2007, 9:24 AM   #5
infirmus

Yes, even if you live on the moon you will get 1.5Mbit
infirmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 10:39 AM   #6
kuruptz Thread Starter

Oh ok well im happy with even 1.5mbit because adsl2+ is cheaper then 1.5mbit anyway for me so might aswell get it.

Also do you guys think its worth it? Im on cable now 10gb limit, i can go to adsl2+ with TPG for same price as my current cable plan and 30gb limit, or internode adsl(not 2) for same price and 20gb limit.

Hmmm wish people just said TPG were good they are ideal for me

Sorry its just a fair bit of my pay each week (only 18) and decision needs to be a wise one as its 12 month to 18 month contract.
kuruptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 12:26 PM   #7
painkiller

TPG for sure. 2 Mates of mine are having a hard time on node at the moment and why get basic adsl when you can have more quota and more speed for the same price ?
Old 10th May 2007, 12:59 PM   #8
lavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls View Post
Kuruptz , yeah 1500/256 should be min, you most likely get more.

Some ISP allow you to turn it off (Internode &IInet maybe others?) Optus, TPG and Telstra dont allow the user to turn interleave on/off for ADSL2+. Telstra Wholesale (TW) lines at 8000/384 are also stuck on interleave. I'm pretty sure but not certain about TW 1500/256 has interleaved turned off by default, so you should get a better ping time ,provided your line is clean.

F.

Wrong, Telstra allows you to turn interleave on/off as you please on ADSL2+

From Telstra website:

our line configuration comprises two components - interleaving and latency.

Interleaving is a technique in digital data transmission that reduces the impact of noise on a line resulting in a more stable ADSL connection. It works by spreading out the transmitted data over a longer period of time.

Latency is the time it takes to move a piece of data from one point to another. Latency is typically important for online gaming, where a low latency is highly desirable. For other applications such as web browsing, small changes are usually not noticable.

Standard
The default ADSL line profile. Provides good balance between stability and speed.
6dB ON

Fast
This setting removes interleaving from your ADSL connection. This may reduce the latency on your line but also introduces connection instability issues such as dropouts. Only certain applications, such as online gaming will benefit from this setting. Warning: Selecting this option may render your connection unusable.
6dB OFF

I'm on BigPond adsl2+ and connect at 16Mbit-18Mbit and I'm 4Km away from the exchange

Last edited by lavi; 10th May 2007 at 1:02 PM.
lavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 3:34 PM   #9
BoutS

Is that 4km walking/driving distance or actual line length?

16Mbit-18Mbit is from my understanding indicative of a length of 1-2km's, not 4.

Im on iinet adsl2 and synch @ 12mbit and line length is just under 3k's, this is on a good line as i know a Telstra Tech who checked the cable details and tested fo noise.
Old 10th May 2007, 4:04 PM   #10
Mitch01

Strange in regards to speeds... maybe its just Sydney thats shit.

I'm 3.5kms from Exchange and have never sync'd faster than 6Mbit.

My brother in law is 5kms from Exchange and has never sync'd higher than 2.5Mbit.

Infact in any of my clients ADSL2+ installations that are 3kms or greater from an exchange I'm yet to see one sync at higher than 8Mbit.

I think some people in this thread need to prove some claims with screenshots.

As proven by this graph from Internode http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm there is no way you'll get 16-18Mbit sync even 2.5kms away.
Old 10th May 2007, 4:34 PM   #11
gAmEbOy

I don't think TPG will sign you up for adsl2 if you are over 6k from the
exchange. I might be wrong cause it might be possible to have repeaters
or such things on your telephone line. I'm around 5k from my exchange LOS,
and I get attenuation of 49db and connection speed of 6.2Mbps which
suggests that im 3.9k away. Tis pretty strange.
Also word of warning if you do decide to go with TPG, their customer service
is a joke. Only good thing are the reps on whirpool which seem
prompt enough when it comes to fixing problems on their end.
Old 10th May 2007, 5:14 PM   #12
phantompisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAmEbOy View Post
Also word of warning if you do decide to go with TPG, their customer service
is a joke. Only good thing are the reps on whirpool which seem
prompt enough when it comes to fixing problems on their end.
I used to be with TPG a couple of years ago and their support was indeed a joke . It really was funny if you ever did get through .
Have a couple of friends using tpg now and things are a lot better than they used to be apparently .
Old 10th May 2007, 5:46 PM   #13
lavi

when i called Telstra regarding activation codes on my phone line the person i spoke to told me it's 4.1Km

i live in Milton and I'm connected to the exchange in Paddington so that would be right.

Distance don't matter, line quality does! I live in a new apartment building and maybe that's why
Old 10th May 2007, 8:21 PM   #14
Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Wrong, Telstra allows you to turn interleave on/off as you please on ADSL2+
Excellent!, now if only telstra could improve value for money!

F.
Old 10th May 2007, 8:59 PM   #15
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
when telstra test your line for adsl2 they only allow your connection if you can hold a stable 1500
speed has nothing to do with it. the only provisioning tests done are that the line has a calculated signal attenuation of 56dB or less at 300KHz, and 6.5dB at 820Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls View Post
I'm pretty sure but not certain about TW 1500/256 has interleaved turned off by default, so you should get a better ping time ,provided your line is clean.

no speed-limited Telstra Wholesale ADSL service has interleaving enabled or indeed possible. the capability is not implemented to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch01 View Post
As proven by this graph from Internode http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm there is no way you'll get 16-18Mbit sync even 2.5kms away.
that graph is at best a very loose approximation. apart from anything else it assumes one continuous run of unbroken copper UTP (which is impossible as the damn cable only comes is 1830m rolls!), and makes zero allowance for jointing. it also makes the huge, impossible assumption that all phone lines are made out of the same gauge, construction, material and insulation line, which is never the case.

the graph is, in fact, a worst case scenario graphic and nothing more - although this in turn assumes that the metallic circuit is in pristine condition, which won't be the case in the real world anyway.