Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd May 2007, 8:29 PM   #1
Yoodaa Thread Starter

Default Lost phone, Insurance replacing, what If find it?

Hey all,

Anyone had this happen? I lost my phone. Could be at my parents place, lost at work, walking the puppywho knows! I called optus and the lady I spoke to was keen to bar the IMEM number just incase its been found by someone who makes calls on it. Fair enough.

My new phone is in the process of being sent out. My question is what is what If i do happen to find my old mobile phone? I was almost pressured into getting the lost phone barred, and as I explained to the lady I had not yet finished looking for it. She said dont worry, its insured, so it can be replaced. Thats all very well, but what happens if the old one turns up? I ask as I paid $800 for this lost phone when I bought it new, so it would be nice to claim something back on it by selling it if I do find it.

Anyone shed any light on this issue?

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 23rd May 2007, 9:13 PM   #2
bbjayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoodaa View Post
Hey all,

Anyone had this happen? I lost my phone. Could be at my parents place, lost at work, walking the puppywho knows! I called optus and the lady I spoke to was keen to bar the IMEM number just incase its been found by someone who makes calls on it. Fair enough.

My new phone is in the process of being sent out. My question is what is what If i do happen to find my old mobile phone? I was almost pressured into getting the lost phone barred, and as I explained to the lady I had not yet finished looking for it. She said dont worry, its insured, so it can be replaced. Thats all very well, but what happens if the old one turns up? I ask as I paid $800 for this lost phone when I bought it new, so it would be nice to claim something back on it by selling it if I do find it.

Anyone shed any light on this issue?
Is it really an issue if your phone is being replaced?

I'm not going for any moral highground or anything but it seems normal that the imem was barred if the original phone is being replaced through an insurance claim. One of the principles of insurance is that you can't/shouldn't profit from it.

bb

Last edited by bbjayo; 24th May 2007 at 11:40 AM.
bbjayo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 9:45 PM   #3
A01

Best idea if you find it, jsut get rid of it
A01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Al_fire

funnily enough i was inquiring about this this morning aswell, and from the way the ppl at optus explained it the phone will become property of optus once a replacement phone has been dispatched to you.

But has optus barred your imem number?? from the post above it sounds like they didn't, if they did, they wont unlock the old phones imem till you return the replacement handset.

Thats what i made of it anyway, it was early, and she was hard to understand as her mic was way too loud.
Al_fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 12:02 AM   #5
zero_cool

Nope,

If you find said phone.. you can request for the IMEI to be unbarred
even if you have gotten a replacement.

standard IMEI unblockings take 24hrs from time of submission for bars to be removed.
hell that phone that you lost is yours..
if you recover it, its well within your rights to have it restored.
Old 24th May 2007, 12:09 AM   #6
A01

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
Nope,

If you find said phone.. you can request for the IMEI to be unbarred
even if you have gotten a replacement.

standard IMEI unblockings take 24hrs from time of submission for bars to be removed.
hell that phone that you lost is yours..
if you recover it, its well within your rights to have it restored.
Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Im sure theyd want the new phone back then? Or atleast make you pay for it?
A01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 12:34 AM   #7
Snyplord

Yeah, wouldn't they get a lot of people 'losing' their phones to get a replacement and then eBaying one of them to get some profit back?

To me it would seem like when the insurance company provides you with a new phone they get ownership of your old one.
Snyplord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 1:19 AM   #8
zero_cool

it does sound dodgy and the insurance company who handle these claims know that, it depends if there are dodgy people out there who will do this on purpose to score a new phone for $100 or the legit people who lost the phone but had recovered it and wants it restored for a genuine reason.

standard procedure is that if a handset is lost / stolen then it is to remain barred.
BUT if you do want to have it lifted you can so.
Old 24th May 2007, 1:29 AM   #9
Aratama_Bashi

i just asked my sister about this situation (she works for QBE).

she said that <family_guy>this is clearly a textbook case of insurance.... frau-ood!</family_guy> hehehe
but seriously, if you got the replacement phone, and found your old one, and the imei became unblocked at your request (or if it started showing up in logs again if you never blocked it), then you will have to answer to the insurance company.

its basically the same situation as when a car gets totalled. you get your payout or replacement car, but the insurance company keeps the wreck to have it auctioned.

so yeah. she said there isnt a massive chance that it will be followed up; but that it can and does happen.

Would you like free entry into airport lounges?
Aratama_Bashi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 8:03 AM   #10
Yoodaa Thread Starter

I think all in all, the above people that said the phone is the property of the insurance company once its replaced is probably a fair point. If I find my other phone I'm not going to bother getting ti reactivated as I will have a new phone anyways. I'm not interested in stuffing insurance companies around, nor treading on thin water with fraud! Thats the last thing I would want to do.