Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 22nd July 2007, 9:53 PM   #1
Cytec Thread Starter

Default North Bridge, South Bridge and overclocking - q6600

Hey guys,

I got a q6600 running at 2.8ghz fsb of 1245 with memory running at 880mhz 4-4-4-12 timings.

Im at a stage where i just cant stop overclocking and want to push it a little further (preferably without damageing it) I try to overclock past 1260fsb and it wont start. Then i tried raising the vcore a little and got to about 1270.

By this time im getting a little annoyed with resetting the cmos as one does, and i thought i would try setting the Asus Striker Extreme motherboard to auto adjust voltages on the south bridge, north bridge and the vcore. BINGO! i got it to what ever i wanted the fsb to go to (i stopped at 3ghz).

however i thought the motherboard had chosen voltages a bit above what i believe should achieve 3ghz. I think the problem had to do with the north bridge as the south bridge voltage remained stock when i tried to oc (i think). What is the north bridge and is it dangerous to raise the voltage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Cytec; 22nd July 2007 at 11:11 PM.
Cytec is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 23rd July 2007, 1:32 AM   #2
16c_Killer

Check your CPU:RAM ratio. I think it's out of whack.

Should be 1:2 ---> your CPU 266 x 9 / RAM 266 x 2

You should comfortably get CPU 333 x 9 = 3GHz / RAM 333 x 2 = 667

*Edit: I believe this can be done at stock voltage, otherwise, bump CPU Voltage to 1.3V.

Would someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I haven't got the Quad yet, still on my Pen D 945.

Last edited by 16c_Killer; 23rd July 2007 at 1:38 AM.
16c_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 6:44 AM   #3
Omarko

check your mem divider ... looks like you are only at 311 FSB ... that CPU should easily do 333FSB x 9 at stock volts

have you locked your PCIe and PCI ? if not, you are automatically overclocking these and that could be a reason why you can not go above your current overclock.
i5 4670K, ASUS Z87 PRO, G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB , 2 x EVGA GTX770 SC, 120GB Samsung 840, 2x1TB RAID1, 1TB WD Black, SB Recon 3D, Enermax Revolution 1250W, Obsidian 800D everything watercooled, 3 x Dell UH2713, Sensei, G19s
Omarko is offline   Reply With Quote