Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 9th January 2009, 5:25 PM   #1021
Mystery Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerthe2nd View Post
By default, it is set to Balanced, and in Windows 7, turning off hard disks is enabled by default as opposed to previous Balanced profiles.
What do you mean as opposed to previous Balanced profiles? Default is the same as vista set at 20 mins

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 9th January 2009, 5:28 PM   #1022
boogerthe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Man View Post
What do you mean as opposed to previous Balanced profiles? Default is the same as vista set at 20 mins
Really?
I don't remember noticing that... my bad

Folding@Home 1000000 Points Milestone
Folding@Home 40000 Club
boogerthe2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 5:44 PM   #1023
claf-43

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
In what way?
Minimising things, not always knowing if their running as easy without changing settings.

Quote:
Not hard. Either right click IE icon on task bar and choose internet explorer. Or go to file then new window. Pretty easy. As frustrating as one extra click can be
Having a IE button on the quick launch and on the start menu that opened up a new window in 1 click is alot easier.
claf-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 5:45 PM   #1024
Mystery Man

Quote:
Really?
I don't remember noticing that... my bad

Yeah. The settings turn off display has changed to 10 mins from 20 in vista and sleep mode off in 30 mins as opposed to 1 hour in vista. Hard drive settings same.
Old 9th January 2009, 5:47 PM   #1025
chainbolt
The end is near?

Quote:
Heres some more info i googled

Got to be quick it will be 2.5 million only

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/...-get-your.html
and once more confirmed: No upgrade from Windows XP possible.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 6:00 PM   #1026
Mystery Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by claf-43 View Post
Having a IE button on the quick launch and on the start menu that opened up a new window in 1 click is alot easier.
Yep already have . If you already got a window open it takes two clicks to open another one
Old 9th January 2009, 6:04 PM   #1027
the scotsman

You can Shift+click to open a new window.

Or press left + right mouse buttons to open a new window.

Free Stuff | OCAU Bargains Thread
the scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 6:10 PM   #1028
Mystery Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
You can Shift+click to open a new window.

Or press left + right mouse buttons to open a new window.
Doesnt seem to work here. I just go file then new window. Pretty trivial really. May be you got different settings somewhere
Old 9th January 2009, 6:12 PM   #1029
the scotsman

Quote:
Doesnt seem to work here. I just go file then new window. Pretty trivial really. May be you got different settings somewhere
maybe obvious, but you need to shift+click or left+right click with the cursor over the taskbar button for the browser.

Works for IE and FF.

Old 9th January 2009, 6:15 PM   #1030
MR CHILLED Thread Starter
D'oh!

Quote:
It seems like a bug... especially since it just doesn't work without giving any dialogue or prompts. However, I should think it would've been fixed by now, since it apparently was present in earlier builds as well.
Yes it seems rather strange behaviour if by design. So must definitely be a bug, or that is at least my guessing also.
abbott on the NBN: "We're not against using the internet, errr, for all these things, ah but do we really want to invest $50billion dollars of hard earned tax payers money on what is essentially a video entertainment system."
| Co2 is weightless apparently
MR CHILLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 6:16 PM   #1031
ocyrion

I'm using the 64-bit version

I've got quite a few issues - anyone know the fix?

- Can't get Rivatuner 2.22 to run, it says the rivatuner.sys file is not signed. Where can I disable the requirement for driver signing?
- Lots of disk access even when the machine is idle, is it defragging?
- Leadtek 3200H TV card doesn't work, driver and software installed OK but I get no TV reception, just a blank screen
- Daemon Tools won't install, it just loops the first part before restart
- No X58 chipset drivers seem to be available from Intel
- Tried to bench 3DMark Vantage and it bombed out, and I got green vertical lines down the screen (using Nvidia 185.20 betas)

How do you make the text easy to read like XP? I've tried turning off Cleartype but there's a whole stack of things I have to choose and nothing so far has made the text crisp like XP.

The UAC shit is just as annoying as Vista ... I have to say I liked the Windows 7 beta when I originally installed it, but after a couple of days I'm ready to go back to XP ...
Good dealings with: wookie_man, tangcla, gaz86, ravennoir, veetor, Super Crazy, justakid, aalu, tyb1987, ravescar, kenny34, Display Name, goofydave, ironpaw, redmarine, ANTeek, Kelvin, Sambo69, akira_hai, goldchicken, dcmario
ocyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 6:31 PM   #1032
FLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocyrion View Post
I'm using the 64-bit version

I've got quite a few issues - anyone know the fix?

- Can't get Rivatuner 2.22 to run, it says the rivatuner.sys file is not signed. Where can I disable the requirement for driver signing?
- Lots of disk access even when the machine is idle, is it defragging?
- Leadtek 3200H TV card doesn't work, driver and software installed OK but I get no TV reception, just a blank screen
- Daemon Tools won't install, it just loops the first part before restart
- No X58 chipset drivers seem to be available from Intel
- Tried to bench 3DMark Vantage and it bombed out, and I got green vertical lines down the screen (using Nvidia 185.20 betas)

How do you make the text easy to read like XP? I've tried turning off Cleartype but there's a whole stack of things I have to choose and nothing so far has made the text crisp like XP.

The UAC shit is just as annoying as Vista ... I have to say I liked the Windows 7 beta when I originally installed it, but after a couple of days I'm ready to go back to XP ...
* Get the x58 drivers, from your mobo maker, and run them in vista compatibility mode.
* Driver signing can't be turned off on a permanent basis, only via the boot menu upon a restart/reboot.
* Daemon Tools has a problem mentioned many times in this thread, use poweriso instead.
* Use the 181.20's, the 185's are alpha quality drivers - some things are broken.
* Lots of Disk access = possibly defrag as well as superfetch & indexing.
* UAC Prompts, are nowhere near as common on 7 as with Vista. Turn it off if you don't like it, or you can tell it to nag you less in the control panel I think.

Last edited by FLB; 9th January 2009 at 6:34 PM.
FLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 6:48 PM   #1033
ocyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLB View Post
* Get the x58 drivers, from your mobo maker, and run them in vista compatibility mode.
* Driver signing can't be turned off on a permanent basis, only via the boot menu upon a restart/reboot.
* Daemon Tools has a problem mentioned many times in this thread, use poweriso instead.
* Use the 181.20's, the 185's are alpha quality drivers - some things are broken.
* Lots of Disk access = possibly defrag as well as superfetch & indexing.
* UAC Prompts, are nowhere near as common on 7 as with Vista. Turn it off if you don't like it, or you can tell it to nag you less in the control panel I think.
Cheers, solid reply. I haven't much experience with Vista and it seems 7 maintains quite a bit of similarity.

I ran the driver installation in compatibility mode, but I still have a code 28 on "Intel(R) ICH10R LPC Interface Controller - 3A16".

The graphics problem only seems to be in Vantage, but I'll give the WHQL drivers a shot as well ...

Where do I disable defrag etc?

Still would like to know the most XP like text setting, what's good? After disabling Cleartype, the text within the browsers/Office looks good, but the menu text and programs menu text is still blurry.
Good dealings with: wookie_man, tangcla, gaz86, ravennoir, veetor, Super Crazy, justakid, aalu, tyb1987, ravescar, kenny34, Display Name, goofydave, ironpaw, redmarine, ANTeek, Kelvin, Sambo69, akira_hai, goldchicken, dcmario

Last edited by ocyrion; 9th January 2009 at 6:54 PM.
ocyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 6:48 PM   #1034
Reanimated35

where do you download it from?
Reanimated35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 6:53 PM   #1035
the scotsman

It's available to the public from around 7am tomorrow morning...somone posted the link a few pages back.

I find UAC is far less obtrusive...but you can alter it's settings in Control panel > user accounts > UAC settings

And the Daemon Tools bug is a well known one, I'm sure a fix will be released by Daemon soon.