Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Memory

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 29th March 2008, 1:21 PM   #1
Rabe Thread Starter

Default TWIN2X4096-6400C5

Got a pair of these - just wondering what safe voltages are for this, i know they are rated at 1.9 5-5-5-18 but just wondering how far i can push them.

I saw a review where they pumped 2.3v into them. At the moment im on 2.0v, but when i push it to 500mhz FSB then they start to get unstable at 2.0v. Just wondering how high i can push them without frying them

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 29th March 2008, 6:18 PM   #2
mitsimonsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabe View Post
Got a pair of these - just wondering what safe voltages are for this, i know they are rated at 1.9 5-5-5-18 but just wondering how far i can push them.
What sort of speeds you running the memory at? -18 is a bit loose, I guess the IC's in them are probably crap. Which revision are they?

Twin2x4096-6400C5
........................XMS640X v1.X...MICRON........128Mx8
........................XMS640X v2.X...QIMONDA......128Mx8
........................XMS640X v3.X...ELPIDA.........128Mx8
........................XMS640X v4.X...MICRON........128Mx8

I would suggest they *MIGHT* do 4-4-4-12 at about 800Mhz with 2.1-2.2V but that may be pushing things.

You might get more like 5-4-4-8 or 5-4-4-10 though... you will just have to test.

Quote:
I saw a review where they pumped 2.3v into them. At the moment im on 2.0v, but when i push it to 500mhz FSB then they start to get unstable at 2.0v. Just wondering how high i can push them without frying them
I would not be pumping 2.3V into them ever. I'd only put 2.1V through these.

You MIGHT get 1066Mhz at stock latencies with 2.1V....
mitsimonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 6:43 PM   #3
Rabe Thread Starter

Im running at 990mhz 5-7-7-23 with 2.1v, don't actually know the revision of them at all - bought them brand new within the last week, so im guessing the latest?

I just have the bios options on auto, as im not to sure with ram what timings i can pull off.
Old 29th March 2008, 11:05 PM   #4
mitsimonsta

Quote:
Im running at 990mhz 5-7-7-23 with 2.1v, don't actually know the revision of them at all - bought them brand new within the last week, so im guessing the latest?
Big mistake to make. Just because there is a V4 revision does not mean that we have the latest revision here, and the retailer may not have the latest available stock either. Shut it down, open up the case, pull out a DIMM and read the label.

I purchased a kit of Twin2X2048-6400C4 and got revision 1 which is Micron based, when V2 (Elpida based) had been out and available here for about 6 months. Very happy with that.

Also, note that in the vast majority of cases that the earlier revisions usually have higher quality chips. Almost all V1 revisions are Micron based in Corsair.

Quote:
I just have the bios options on auto, as im not to sure with ram what timings i can pull off.
Those are DDR3-like latencies. Try doing a manual 5-5-5-18 @ 2.1V and see if you can run all the normal tests, Memtest, SuperPi, Orthos Blend etc etc. It's the only way you will find out.

Why you didn't get CAS4@800Mhz based RAM (or CAS5/1066Mhz) with an E3110 and looking for big clocks I will never know. You can get a 4GB kit of Crucial Ballistix 800Mhz from PGN landed for $160 these days, about $170 for the Tracers.

A cheap option for 4x1GB sticks of RAM that might be decent is the Team Dark 800Mhz kits - these go for $82/kit at PLE, and you can get them at PCCG too. Micron based, clock well, good latencies. 4 sticks will be harder to OC though.

Last edited by mitsimonsta; 29th March 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 29th March 2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Rabe Thread Starter

lol damn didn't know that - bought before doing heaps of research i guess, ill check the revision in the morning. How much extra performance are we talking in games with tighter timings?

Not doing anything more demanding than games at the moment.

Got it running stable at 980mhz 2.1v - CPU at 4410MHz 1.46v. Ratio at 1:1

Last edited by Rabe; 29th March 2008 at 11:24 PM.
Rabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 11:45 PM   #6
mitsimonsta

Depends on the games. What are you playing?

I've got my Q6600s @ 3.6Ghz (400FSB) under a TR.U.E, P35-DS3P, 2GB of Crucial Ballistix 1066Mhz Tracers running 4-4-4-4@2.1V, HX-620, couple of HDDs, sitting in an Antec 900.

These are my Folding boxen, and there is quite a bit of difference running them at 4-4-4-4 instead of 4-4-4-12 as this boosts CPU productivity quite a bit.

Can't see you being CPU limited in games any time soon at those clocks, mind you the more data you can pump through your CPU will help your graphics a bit, but I would imagine you are GPU-bound in your games.

I seriously suggest you see if you can grab (or even borrow) a good kit of RAM for not too much, those Team Dark's are excellent for the price. Throw those in, screw town the timings as much as you can, then benchmark them. There's 4x1GB of Kingston Hyper-X going in the forums for $190 right now, does CAS5 @ 1066Mhz. Worth a look at anyway.

Nobody can tell you how much you will gain until you try it and measure it yourself. Make sure you share the results, your tests may help someone else in the future.
Old 30th March 2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Rabe Thread Starter

Dont have the funds to buy more RAM at the moment - and no one i know have better RAM than i do.

Will definetly research a bit more in the future. Games still run quite well nonetheless

It found an error after 7 hours and 48 minutes of testing overnight at 980mhz 2.1v

Thanks for your help anyway.

Last edited by Rabe; 30th March 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Rabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 3:12 PM   #8
Bleemv1

I think most people won't report much of a gain when playing games with slightly tighter timings...? eg. 4 4 4 15 vs. 4 4 4 10 ? Definitely in benchmarks you'll see a "big" diff in performance but benchmarks are specifically designed to test out the ram or whatever benchmark its for...

I have 2x 512mb Corsair XMS2 not sure what revision, 6.1? maybe. i'm currently on 4 4 4 3 at 2.1V at 800mhz
Old 1st April 2008, 12:25 AM   #9
Y3llowbeard

You are safe with up to 2.1v on those modules. Most people are able to about 900 to 950 out of them.