OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th April 2008, 2:44 PM   #1
yoda123 Thread Starter

Default Adam's 2' Marine Cube

Introduction:

System Objectives: To have my own piece of the ocean right on my living room, For both awe factor and as abit of a stress relief..

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: 24/05/08

Display Tank: 600x600x600 Cube. 10mm glass, 12mm base. Euro bracing. Internal weir with Durso standpipe, Backup syphon and return all through the weir.

Display Lighting: 250W DE MH, 4x 24W T5. Running 20K MH Lamp, 2x 10K 24W and 2x Actinic

Stand: DIY Stand, 800 high, clip on door for ease of access, details on the DIY further down in the thread.

Hood: Open top, due to renting I am unable to drill holes in the wall or roof so I have also constructed a DIY light stand which attaches to the back of the stand, once again more info on that throughout the build thread.

Sump: 450x450x300. 6mm glass. Split into 3 sections, collection / skimmer, DSB / Refugium and return pump section.

Refugium: Live sand sourced from a collector making a DSB of about 13cm depth. Caulerpa taxifolia growing as macro algae for nutrient export.

Refugium Lighting: 11W Energy Saver lamp.

Support systems:

System Water: Initial fill was with ASW, however water changes are conducated with NSW.

Display Water circulation: 2x SunSun 5000LPH Powerheads

Return Pump: Eden 4200LPH Return pump (Larger size because of the head loss from pushing through the chiller and back upto the display tank)

Skimmer: Reef Octopus NW-110

Heating: 2x Eheim Jager 300W heaters mounted inside the weir.

Cooling: Hailea HC-300A 1/4 HP Chiller. Plumbed in-line with the return from sump.

Evaporation Top Up: Currently manual top up with RO-DI water. I dabbled with a DIY setup, but had some problems so I am still working on that.

[EDIT]: Decided against the Reef Octopus Cube, read further posts down for more details.

Currently waiting on Australian stock of the cube systems, this thread will become my journal, but for now just an equipment list !

Reef Octopus 2'x2'x2' Cube in Black (280L total system volume)
Reef Octopus NW-110 Skimmer
Eheim 1260 Return Pump (2400Lph)
3x Hydor Koralia's Copys (5000Lph
250W MH & 4x 24W T5 Unit
AOA 14000k 250W Lamp
2x 24w 10000k Bulbs
2x Actinic Bulbs

Still need to look at heating / cooling. Going to run the system for afew days with lights etc running and see what temps do, maybe I can get away without running a chiller. If I need to run a Chiller I will purchase a Hailea HC-300A 1/4hp which is rated for 700L.. so plenty of over compensating so it should not need to come on much.

LR will be sourced locally, found a shop that sells 20kg for $150.00 which is $7.50 / kg which is a great price !

The only picture I have to add is off the RO site, but whats a Journal without a pic Imagine it in black ! haha

Last edited by yoda123; 1st December 2008 at 1:11 PM.
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th April 2008, 5:00 PM   #2
yoda123 Thread Starter

Gahhhhhhhh

So got sick of being told different answers to when the Cubes are coming into Australia, I rang the Reef Octopus Wholesaler direct - and found out they will be 8 weeks away !

They did however mention that Ocean Reeflections had a Black one in stock, I called them this afternoon and the guys are getting some pricing together for me including shipping to QLD - however I think that option is going to blow my budget right out of whack.

One other option is a Red Sea Max - however they are only about 130L and don't have a proper sump, I think I would be unhappy with one in the end.

The other option is to get a cube and sump custom built, and build a stand. My handyman skills are non existent so this is why I wanted the RO package to start with.. I'll sleep on it.
Old 18th April 2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Falkor

Wow that is a nice looking tank.

What sort of price do they go for?

Is it an all-inclusive setup pretty much? Except Fish and LR etc.
Old 18th April 2008, 11:34 AM   #4
yoda123 Thread Starter

I will be happy if I get the whole setup without any Corals or Fish for under $2k

The lowest price I could get on a cube delivered to QLD was $855 with a discount because of a membership that I hold.

The cube only comes with Stand, Display Tank, Sump, Some media for the sump and Minimal plumbing fittings. You then still need to supply other equipment as I have listed.

Have been speaking to a local guy quite abit and he is due to send me a quote through shortly for a 2' cube with weir, and a 1.5'x1'x1.5' sump setup. I'll just have to provide a stand for it all to sit on.
Old 18th April 2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Falkor

Ah Ok.

I thought it was an all inclusive setup like the red sea max is, but Bigger.

I have always been interested in marine setups, but they are so expensive

And that for 2k is too much really. Especially as the corals and fish will cost a packet more.

I will be keeping a close eye on this thread though.
Old 18th April 2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Sir Ghallahad

You'd be lucky to even get it within 8 weeks to be honest. And from people on other marine forums they have been on back order forever and Reef Octopus aren't helpful at all.

BUT saying that, the setup looks sweet and the equipment sounds good. As you said you may have some problems with heat. Because these come with dedicated hoods you cant really mod them with fans etc unless you are pretty keen. That metal halide will be cooking inside a fully enclosed hood.

Personally id be looking at a local tank builder though. 2 foot cubes are pretty cheap and the sump to fit even cheaper. If you are good with your handy work then all the plumbing and tank stand building will be much cheaper.

Falkor: My 3 foot setup still hasn't hit $2k and thats including fish.
Sir Ghallahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 9:51 PM   #7
yoda123 Thread Starter

Have been in talk with a local guy who is a member of MASRQ who is opening his own shop here in Mackay in afew weeks, He is able to get me a 2' cube custom built to my specs and a sump to spec as well, and I will probably come off with some cash to spare instead of buying the RO Cube.

Have decided on the 2' cube with Durso style weir in the center on the back of the cube. 1.5'x1'x1.5' sump with dividers for DSB to be used.

I'll build my own stand hopefully with the help of my Dad (also try and sucker him into Reefing ) out of 18mm MDF, 16mm for the front door. Will be coated afew times in sealant and then painted as well so water should not be a problem. The style of stand is used quite commonly in the planted freshwater scene, which is where I pinched this idea from off user Shake !

Ideally the stand will be similar to this -

Last edited by yoda123; 21st April 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 18th April 2008, 9:57 PM   #8
zfind

Why don't you have a go and whip up the tank yourself? Working with Acrylic isn't too hard, neither is glass if you are careful. I think it'd be a fun exercise and cheap at the same time.
zfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 9:01 AM   #9
yoda123 Thread Starter

My handyman skills are not that great, as it is I will be stretching it by trying to build the stand. I would rather put 200L in the hands of someone who has been building tanks for 10+ yrs then it be my first attempt and have the thing crack and end all over my floor.
Old 19th April 2008, 6:40 PM   #10
Sir Ghallahad

Tanks are so cheap these days, especially for a 2 footer, so its easier to just leave it in a pros hands.
Old 21st April 2008, 10:45 AM   #11
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ghallahad View Post
Falkor: My 3 foot setup still hasn't hit $2k and thats including fish.
You also made your cabinet IIRC. I'm not very good at that kind of stuff, I could probably do it but I don't know if I trust myself to make something which is going to hold a few hundred litres of water.
Old 21st April 2008, 12:09 PM   #12
Sir Ghallahad

Very true. My stand cost about $200 in materials, where as to go out and buy a prefab could be anywhere from $400 and up.
Old 21st April 2008, 12:54 PM   #13
yoda123 Thread Starter

Well here is a breakdown of costs sofar:

2'x2'x2' Cube + 1.5'x1'x1.5' Sump and all plumbing $650
250W MH + 4x 24W T5 Unit from Guppy $225
Reef Octopus NW-110 Skimmer $140
3x Hydor Koralia's K Copy's $120
AOA 14000k Lamp $49
AOA 3000LP/H Return Pump $40
Live Rock 20kg $160
Freight $50

Total $1434.00 sofar

Still yet to build stand (awaiting tank so I know exact dimensions.. looking at around $130 in materials sofar)

Total $1564.00 with no water yet

First fill will probably use ASW.. don't feel like carting 280Ltr of NSW home, will use NSW for water changes however.. So probably about $50 in salt there.

Then I need to get some live sand for my DSB.. no idea, rough guess maybe $25 at most (I hope so !)

Total $1639.00

Then I need to run the system and see how the temps pan out. The tank will be in our living room which stays farily cool, however it is North Qld...

I may need to add a chiller, so there is about $545 (Hailea HC-300A 1/4HP + Freight)

It's not a cheap thing to dabble in, and its taken some persuasion to the Minister of Finance.. but getting there !

If anyone can suggest cost cuts, go for it, im all ears.
Old 25th April 2008, 9:44 AM   #14
yoda123 Thread Starter

Still waiting on the tank.. ETA 5/5/08 so not long now.

Decided with the advice from some others to go with an Eden 4200lph return pump with 3.5m head height. This should provide enough head and flow to get through the chiller and return straight back to the display tank.

Minister of finance also extended my budget abit so the chiller will be ordered straight up and I wont be too worried about going slightly over the original budget

Last edited by yoda123; 25th April 2008 at 9:46 AM.
Old 26th April 2008, 6:53 PM   #15
Vassili

Where are you going to source the return pump from? Im just sussing out my options for the sump setup im doing.
Vassili is offline   Reply With Quote