Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Electronics & Electrics

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th June 2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Meddish Thread Starter

Default Faulty (swollen) UPS batteries

hey need some help with a small battery problem,

i bought a UPS from Ebay (i know i know no ebay jokes) read the listing said it was tested, thats good enough for me, means it works, if the batterys need changeing thats OK i can get batterys

but my problem the batterys have swollen, and now will NOT come out of the UPS cage... so im wondering guys any suggestions on HOW to get these batterys out
PICs speaks 1000 words

a local battery guys has told me to take a hammer to it, this i dont like the idea of as all the UPS circuts are still gonna be attached to the cage (as i cant get the batterys out of the UPS)

lastly ive also been told the batterys have done that because they have been overcharged, anyone know if this is ture or otherwise
Want to Never B L8 Again??
Please visit the wifes website www.sinspirations.com.au
Meddish is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 6th June 2008, 12:22 PM   #2
mshagg
Politburo

Batteries can swell from both discharge and charge. The chemicals create gasses when being charged and when being discharged, cells have vents to prevent a build up... if vents fail then battery will swell.

Most likely from charging, as something has to be wrong with the current draw to get gas build up like that from discharging.
mshagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 12:29 PM   #3
mhgarage

Wow.
Keyfiles and cut those metal straps?
mhgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Cypher

Be thankful they're only swollen and not split like mine were, definatly don't try to use the ups while the batteries are in this state.

As for getting them out, you could try using something like a G-clamp and some blocks of wood to press the batteries back into a more normal shape, tho this might also result in the batteries splitting which is bad...

If things do go pear-shaped and you split a battery put it/them into an old icecream container, when it happened to me I was told this should contain the spilt acid.
Old 6th June 2008, 1:12 PM   #5
Mitch01

How do they normally come out (if not swollen)?

Looking at the size of them swollen or not it wouldnt come out up the metal bar.
Old 6th June 2008, 3:47 PM   #6
Meddish Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch01 View Post
How do they normally come out (if not swollen)?

Looking at the size of them swollen or not it wouldnt come out up the metal bar.
2nd pic they slide out forwards (towards the cam)
(first pic acidently upside down)

didnt think of clamps that might work....
so far im thinking about drilling into the under side (there are 4 neat holes under the UPS) then bucket and clamp the batterys down so they can be pulled out....

they are UPS batterys so they should be sealed lead acid batterys

the 'ebay' guy has my number hes gonna call me.....
so far im not so happy... $160 or so, for a UPS that im gonna have to spend another $100 on batterys to get it back up & running...
Old 6th June 2008, 5:01 PM   #7
Symon
(Plugging your Socket)

From the pics it looks like the only part of the frame that is stopping you is the two tabs on either side in the middle of pic #2. My vote goes for either bending them out of the way and then bending them back, or get to em with an angle grinder.

"The biggest problem in Australia is the tall poppy syndrome. Without tall poppies you have only weeds" - Lindsay Fox
Symon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 7:56 PM   #8
2xCPU

A couple of points:
1. Looking at the distortion of the batteries, I'd say there was heat as well as pressure involved in distorting the batteries.
2. The batteries are not particularly old (judging from the branding).
I come to the same conclusion as mshagg and believe the UPS is overcharging the batteries. Replacing the batteries may not be long term solution.

I think I'd talk to the seller and ask (politely) how he feels about it.

Can you remove the 'T' bracket in the second pic? (I can't quite make out how the legs lock-in in the first pic).

2xCPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 8:31 AM   #9
Meddish Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xCPU View Post
A couple of points:
1. Looking at the distortion of the batteries, I'd say there was heat as well as pressure involved in distorting the batteries.
2. The batteries are not particularly old (judging from the branding).
I come to the same conclusion as mshagg and believe the UPS is overcharging the batteries. Replacing the batteries may not be long term solution.

I think I'd talk to the seller and ask (politely) how he feels about it.

Can you remove the 'T' bracket in the second pic? (I can't quite make out how the legs lock-in in the first pic).

ive contacted the seller, they are gonna call me,
as i said the first pic is upside down, the T bracket is the frount 'pull' section that lets u remove the batterys, this connects to the cross sections on the first pic

the biggest problem with the batterys is they have expanded so much there is no way in their current state they will pull forward past the tabs, (bent or not)
my only option is to get the batterys back to their original size and then from there pull them out normaly
Old 7th June 2008, 9:14 AM   #10
Odje

I have had a similar problem with a 2nd hand UPS, but I obtained it knowing the working state was unknown. Thankfully the battery surrounds could be full dissembled to get the battery out. The construction was all held together with screws. It was a real PITA as I had to take absolutely everything apart to get all the brackets out. while doing so I noticed a diode on the PCB which was charcoaled, so replaced that. A new set of batteries she was up and running.

Maybe you can cut out one of those brackets and replace it with a new piece of metal pop riveted or screwed in afterwards?

There are only 2 reasons why you should run,
1. If you are being chased or
2. If you are on fire
Odje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 8:32 AM   #11
Meddish Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odje View Post
I have had a similar problem with a 2nd hand UPS, but I obtained it knowing the working state was unknown. Thankfully the battery surrounds could be full dissembled to get the battery out. The construction was all held together with screws. It was a real PITA as I had to take absolutely everything apart to get all the brackets out. while doing so I noticed a diode on the PCB which was charcoaled, so replaced that. A new set of batteries she was up and running.

Maybe you can cut out one of those brackets and replace it with a new piece of metal pop riveted or screwed in afterwards?
thought about cutting it, but i found the batterys are also held in @ top & bottom, as well as the cross brace in the middle

id have to cut @ least two of them and then they MIGHT come out
battery replacment should be here today, if it works im gonna find a way to get the batterys out, then take it from there
Old 10th June 2008, 8:39 PM   #12
Odje

The UPS that I acquired had non user changeable batteries and it was a massive PITA to change batteries. I learned about the massive PITA after finally being able to get to the old batteries, let along being able to take them out cause they were swollen. I decided that I never wanted to do that again so I drilled two holes on the side and ran the battery leads outside the case. Now the new batteries sit external to the case.

Although I eventually got the old batteries out, you don't have to if you use an external battery bank.

There are only 2 reasons why you should run,
1. If you are being chased or
2. If you are on fire
Odje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 8:40 AM   #13
Meddish Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odje View Post
The UPS that I acquired had non user changeable batteries and it was a massive PITA to change batteries. I learned about the massive PITA after finally being able to get to the old batteries, let along being able to take them out cause they were swollen. I decided that I never wanted to do that again so I drilled two holes on the side and ran the battery leads outside the case. Now the new batteries sit external to the case.

Although I eventually got the old batteries out, you don't have to if you use an external battery bank.
this also has a spot for external batterys, but id like to get these ones internal, if all else fails ill build a box and run them external

the good news is i got some batteries yesterday fully charged and seem to work, the 'battery guy' said the brand that IS in the UPS 'long' is crap so one cell proberly died/shorted and cased the whole lot to not reach 'full charge' so they UPS doesnt see the batterys as charged, it keeps chargeing over & over causeing the original batterys to blow up.....
nough said

tomorrow rip the old UPS apart and thow some batterys out!
Old 11th June 2008, 6:27 PM   #14
2xCPU

Sounds promising, but I'd check the terminal voltage with a multimeter to be sure.
Have you tried squeezing the batteries yet?

2xCPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 1:16 PM   #15
Meddish Thread Starter

ok i have one working UPS

squeezing batterys didnt work, well it did and didnt, after takeing the clamp off, the batterys would reswell somewhat,
i ended up getting pissed off and giveing the wife the drill (shes good @ destorying things) end of project is shown below

all the dust is the batterys internals, long story short battery had turned to dust, IF YOU EVER have to do this, drill the batterys to make sure they are dust, then take a angle grinder/dremal cut thru the plastic outside caseing
take chisle pop off outside caseing, then take plyers and pull out anything u have to, to clear the metal houseing!

back up running and chargeing now
little worse for ware but working (even after i resolder then frount LCD back on, (sorta hit the wires with the hammer when i wasnt in a good mood!)
now to find some software!

Total time 3 Hours destroying & washing myself up, about another 20min soldering, proberly gonna need another hour or two to clean up the garage!

now after its fully charged ill plug it into my server and see how much battery life we do have

Last edited by Meddish; 12th June 2008 at 1:19 PM.