Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food > Geek Recipes

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 1st August 2008, 1:03 AM   #1
pugsley Thread Starter

Default Cake can so be manly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningFeetMan View Post
Cakes. Cake is gay and for fairies. Cake is homo erotica. I can't stress enough to you all how much cake is on par with dildo's and anal lube. A cake in your mouth is like a dick up your arse. Babes don't dig cakes because the guys who bake'em are gay and babes can't lay gay guys. Why? Cause there's a distinct lack of meat in cake
Well. That opening paragraph shook me to my core. Being unmanly in the eyes of BurningFeetMan was something i did not want to have on my conscience. What could i do to sway this situation and bring myself into favour with BFM? The last sentence (Which i have put in bold) gave me my answer. I had seen pics of such a 'Meat Cake' before on the interwebs and figured it cannot be that hard to do. It was my turn to cook tea Wednesday night so going to the supermarket for some supplies i kicked everyone out of the kitchen and got to work.

Ingredients:

Meat cakes...
Beef mince For this particular cake I used around 1.8kg
1 Onion finely chopped
1 carrot grated (Forgotten in this instance but should be in there)
1-2 cloves of garlic crushed
3 Eggs
A good squirt of both tomato and bbq sauce
3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
Herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil)
Chilli flakes

Meat jam...
A good squirt of both tomato and bbq sauce
a good splash of Worcestershire sauce
a few tablespoons of brown sugar (To taste)

Icing...
Mashed potatoes (If you don't know how to make them you don't belong in the kitchen. Put the saucepan away and let a woman do it)

DISCLAIMER: Before i start I want to apologise on the amount of pictures I don't have of the process. Unfortunately my sister got into the camera and started deleting random photos (Probably to make room for her fucking myspace self portraits) So there will be some gaps in pics but i will endeavour to explain what i did in any gaps.

Method

1. Put mince, onion, garlic, eggs (And carrot which i forgot to put in)

2. After giving that a quick mix with what the flying spaghetti monster gave you (Your hands, its the only way to mix it properly ladies and gents) Put in the breadcrumbs and herbs.

3. Add the sauce and give it yet again another mix.

4. Congratulations, you have just made a basic meatloaf, pat yourself on the back. Next step is to put it into some disposable trays... All i could get were rectangle ones so my cake will be rectangular!

5. Put them in the oven set to 180c for about an hour depending on how thick they are. They should come out looking a bit like this...

6. While waiting for them to cook, make your mashed potato. None of that packet crap either.

Side note: Depending on if your going to eat it hot as soon as you make it (Like i did) or do it in a way which i think would be easier and do it all cold then reheat it to serve (If my hands were not part asbestos they would be covered in blisters full of mashed potato) timing doesnt matter that much. My mash was ready bang on time but i overcooked some of the other veggies i was serving with it. Just remember to keep an eye on everything.

7. Make up the glaze which goes between each layer of meaty goodness to taste. If it tastes good, you have done well. If it tastes like its missing something it probably is and if it tastes like crap then you didn't follow the recipes ingredients list very well.
(The master chef himself mixing up a storm!)

8. Stack up your meat with a spoon or two of the glaze between it.

9. Cover it in mashed potato. A thin layer at first in case you get some sauce mixed up with the potato you can put another layer over it to keep it white. I really cbf decorating it like a real cake as it was getting late and the growing crowd around the kitchen were getting restless. But if i make it again it will be decorated nicely. I'm still happy with how it came out.

10. Carve her up and enjoy your delicious Manly Cake!

A cross section...

Served up (Extra sauce on top as i couldn't put much between the layers without it going everywhere...

I hope that with this manliest of cakes have heightened my stature in the eyes of BurningFeetMan and all men alike. Don't be afraid to eat cake, eat up!... Cake can be manly too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Why is it so easy to get "rational" people to fight one another over the most meaningless shit?
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st August 2008, 1:54 AM   #2
nyah8

The idea is solid. Just a few suggestions though - draining the liquid from the bottom of the pan during cooking makes for much better cake. Either by shaping with a pan and turning out onto a tray to cook, or punching holes in the bottom of your pans and letting the juices party in the bottom of your oven. In addition, wouldn't the cake be much lighter and easier to eat with vegetables in the mix?

I tried this once. My meatcake was half pork and half beef, and i wished soon after that i had put peas, carrot, corn and rice in the mince too. It didnt go down very nicely

Rather than one big cake too, I made meatcupcakes, to entertain the kitchen groupies till dinnertime. These were shaped in a muffin tin, then cooked resting on top of the tray, so that it baked rather than poached. Came out looking awesome too

Mancake is much better when decorated with tomato sauce in the shape of flowers and hearts and shit

Congrats on making awesomefoods
OCAU Zombie Club Member #6
"Can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
nyah8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 3:52 AM   #3
biomaster

Wow that looks really nice mate.

Might give it a try, might try adding some bacon though, see how it goes.
biomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 10:25 AM   #4
doug81

Mix the mashed potato with some tomato sauce for some pink icing to go into a piping bag. Make some pretty flowers and butterflies and frills and shit so it's mancake for chicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
My tongue just came in my mouth........
doug81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 11:12 AM   #5
pugsley Thread Starter

Cheers for the tips guys, Yeah the cake could definitely handle some veggies in the mix. (As well as bacon, it which would have went in this one but i wanted bacon for breakfast this weekend )

The beauty of mashed potato is you can turn it pretty much any colour you want. Add a bit of food colouring and bam! orange or green, blue or purple icing!

When i get around to making it again i will be doing a proper job of it and decorate it. Might even do a Christmas meat cake

Quote:
Why is it so easy to get "rational" people to fight one another over the most meaningless shit?
Old 1st August 2008, 11:17 AM   #6
glasnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug81 View Post
Mix the mashed potato with some tomato sauce for some pink icing to go into a piping bag. Make some pretty flowers and butterflies and frills and shit so it's mancake for chicks
I concur. Or alturnatively, make Sweet Potato (with normal potato as well I find is om nom nom) mash for a nice orange colour. Then add your tomatosauce decoration.

However, unless your 'deleted photos' included magpies trying to have at the meal, I think BurningFeetMan wins the crowd pleaser award.

Nice nice job. I must try that one time
Old 1st August 2008, 7:44 PM   #7
mrs dan77

oh yeah, i'd eat meatcake!!

and i don't think making a regular cake is unmanly. i'd be totally happy to eat a cake a man made! (any cake is good cake )
mrs dan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 7:47 PM   #8
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Sheesh before I read it and looked at the pics I thought it was some sort of icing on the cake....heh

That actually looks really good, but I'd probably just go the two layers : p
Old 1st August 2008, 8:40 PM   #9
Deanodriver

I would have chucked the finished cake into the oven for a few minutes to let the outside of the mash crisp up a bit, but looks nice
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:32 AM   #10
pugsley Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Sheesh before I read it and looked at the pics I thought it was some sort of icing on the cake....heh

That actually looks really good, but I'd probably just go the two layers : p
Lol, thats what i was going for!

Alot of mouths to feed. hence the layers.

Quote:
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:39 AM   #11
chainbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley View Post
Lol, thats what i was going for!

Alot of mouths to feed. hence the layers.
But isn't cake normally sweet? Maybe you could modify it a bit in this direction?
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 9:27 PM   #12
Captain Kermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
But isn't cake normally sweet? Maybe you could modify it a bit in this direction?
According to BFM, cakes are normally gay as well, so I think that's what Pugs was trying to avoid.

Normal cake is awesome, Mancake is godly.
Captain Kermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 11:17 PM   #13

Nom nom nom, that looks brilliant, totally gonna have to try a meat-cake myself sometime.

Good work.

Be
151528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 11:46 PM   #14
Willybomb

Quote:
I would have chucked the finished cake into the oven for a few minutes to let the outside of the mash crisp up a bit, but looks nice
Or, or, or! you could batter the whole thing and carefully deepfry it to make a potato cake covered meatcake!!

30+ successful trades and counting
Offical OCAU Musicians Guild Member #15 OCAU Guitar Players club
Willybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 3:42 AM   #15
mrpo

That is the GREATEST cake I have ever witnessed!!!
Sir, if a woman is not impressed by that girthy meat then she ain't worth jack
mrpo is offline   Reply With Quote