Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Electronics & Electrics

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th August 2008, 8:56 AM   #1
Azrael Thread Starter

Default Isopropyl Alcohol - Cheap Sources

Right, i normally get my Isopropyl Alcohol from a chemical supplier near work, but they have gone the way of bureaucracy and now need a purchase order from an OH&S authorised source for any purchases, and so i cant buy over the counter.

Previous to that i used to buy the IsoPro stuff from DSE, but at $8 for 25mL its a bit rich, especially as $5 used to get me 100mL.

Does anyone know any other sources?
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th August 2008, 9:08 AM   #2
ANZAC_ELITE

I generally get mine from the chemist, never had any problems to date (99% pure)

BEER - One is too many, twenty is not enough
ANZAC_ELITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 9:15 AM   #3
Azrael Thread Starter

Oh, its available at chemists?
Old 5th August 2008, 9:20 AM   #4
OldnBold

I bought a 250ml bottle of Iso Pro from DSE for $8 the other day. Brand is Helmar 99.7% pure.
Old 5th August 2008, 9:30 AM   #5
Azrael Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnBold View Post
I bought a 250ml bottle of Iso Pro from DSE for $8 the other day. Brand is Helmar 99.7% pure.

That stuff? (N0049)

That wasnt available last time i looked. Might have to go pick up some at lunch...
Old 5th August 2008, 9:51 AM   #6
Simpleguy304au

bunnings sell it in big containers ( 1 litre or so i think ) however i have'nt read that pack to check the purity but i know i have seen it in the painting section
Simpleguy304au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Azrael Thread Starter

Hm, ill try a chemist then DSE at lunch. Failing that its Bunnings on the way home.
Old 5th August 2008, 11:25 AM   #8
Carey

I purchased mine from bunnings, near the glue supplies if I recall correcly. It comes in a little 125ml pump pack bottle and I forget the price, it wasn't too expensive though. It is 100% Isopropynol - the brand is Diggers.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Azrael Thread Starter

Isopropynol or propan-2-ol?

A lot of the "rubbing alcohol"s and cheap IsoPro is propan-1-ol which does nasty things to ABS, and especially shellac, which goes gummy and gluey.
Really need propan-2-ol.

Last edited by Azrael; 5th August 2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:12 PM   #10
MWP

I bought 1L from here recently:

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/catalo...ndex&cPath=692
SA Classic Celica Club Member - Website
MWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 12:27 PM   #11
Goth
Grumpy Member

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=T3038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Isopropynol or propan-2-ol?

A lot of the "rubbing alcohol"s and cheap IsoPro is propan-1-ol which does nasty things to ABS, and especially shellac, which goes gummy and gluey.
Really need propan-2-ol.
Isopropyl alcohol is propan-2-ol - if it says isopropyl alcohol, then that's what it is.

Of course shellac dissolves in alcohol - it dissolves in basically any alcohol, and most organic solvents.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Pugs

Jaycar, DSE, hardware stores...
Pugs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 12:52 PM   #13
Goth
Grumpy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs View Post
Jaycar, DSE, hardware stores...
That's not helpful at all. If you don't know who sells it and who does not, why bother to post? Jaycar, for example, does not sell it.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Pugs

ok maybe they don't sell it in "bulk" they do sell alot of smaller quantities of it and in different forms....
Pugs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 1:12 PM   #15
Azrael Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goth View Post
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=T3038

Isopropyl alcohol is propan-2-ol - if it says isopropyl alcohol, then that's what it is.

Of course shellac dissolves in alcohol - it dissolves in basically any alcohol, and most organic solvents.
In the US Isopropyl Alcohol is normally propan-1-ol, not propan-2-ol. Now this causes issues with various plastics as well as shellac. Which while it will dissolve in both propan-1-ol and propan-2-ol it turns into a nice white gummy substance with propan-1-ol but not with propan-2-ol. A chemist could probably tell me why, but from what i know its hell to clean off boards and more importantly leaf shutters.
Hence why im picky about getting propan-2-ol.

The other problem with Isopropyl Alcohol in any form is that its a restricted travel substance, and so costs a bomb to transport. Hence its worth finding local places. Altronics used to be my source when i was living in Melbourne, but there arnt any Adelaide locations.