OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th September 2008, 7:51 PM   #1
1one1 Thread Starter

Exclamation Trouble with Phillips 150MT LCD monitor

Hi all,
This question probably sounds like a noob question but I have done everything I can think of to get it to work but can't.

The trouble is with a Phillips 150MT LCD monitor/TV. The remote control is dead and by the look of it it doesnt turn on without a remote (very stupid idea).
Im hoping someone has this actual monitor and can help me. I turn on power button on the monitor it lights up the screen stays completely black, i press every button channel up/down, volume up/down PC/TV select button everything you can think of.
I then connected the xbox to the AV connection thinking maybe it needs a signal to turn the monitor on - No, nothing exactly the same as above, I connect an aerial connection for tv (nothing again). I can't change the setting off PC to TV or video. Only thing I havn't tried is connection a PC via VGA to it and seeing if it flicks the screen on by having an input signal (i will try that in the next few days - I have a mac laptop so no VGA out, need a converter for the mini DVI connection plus VGA lead).

Has anyone got this monitor and can turn it on without the remote control?

p.s. I have also tried programming my universal remote into it and I cant, no idea why just doesnt hit that frequency I guess, or maybe the IR receiver on the monitor is dead ?

You're my hero if you can figure this out. i am going to build a pc soon and thought I could use this little monitor to get me going until I buy a bigger one.
1one1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th September 2008, 9:27 PM   #2
redeMan

Maybe the remote is working but the LCD isnt?

Perhaps the backlight on the LCD has died and the screen is on but has no light to give a picture.
Old 11th September 2008, 9:31 PM   #3
1one1 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeMan View Post
Maybe the remote is working but the LCD isnt?

Perhaps the backlight on the LCD has died and the screen is on but has no light to give a picture.
Yeh I thought that, but wouldn't the remote (or on the tv be able to manually) be able to change PC - video - TV mode still and give out audio? Because there is no audio either
Old 11th September 2008, 9:53 PM   #4
redeMan

How long is it since you bought the LCD? If its under 3 years give Phillips a call.

Sorry to state the obvious, but have you tried different batteries in the remote?
Old 12th September 2008, 12:18 PM   #5
1one1 Thread Starter

I'm not to sure about age. Its my partners.
She thinks it would be close to 3yrs old. Yeh I tried different batteries and didnt make a difference - pulled the remote apart and looked at the circuit - thought maybe the connection to the batteries was obstructed but all was good it seemed.

I will give Phillips a call and see what they say. Its a big pain in the arse. I was really hoping to get it working to use as a computer monitor for a little while.
I found the manual for it online and in the Q & A part and it just states the obvious turning it off and back on e.t.c.
Old 12th September 2008, 12:38 PM   #6
1one1 Thread Starter

Just called phillips, they gave me a number to call for warranty. He also said that mobile phone cameras and most digital cameras can see infra red so by aiming the remote control at my mobile phone camera I can actually see it flash (so the remote is working). Learn something new every day.

So yeh I think the infrared reciever on the monitor is either stuffed or the monitor itself is stuffed :S ?
Old 12th September 2008, 7:16 PM   #7
redeMan

If you don't have a reciept for the LCD the warranty starts from the date of maufacture. Look at the back there should be a panel or sticker with the manufacter date and serial number.

If its under 3 years they will either fix it or give you a new one.
Old 12th September 2008, 7:36 PM   #8
1one1 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeMan View Post
If you don't have a reciept for the LCD the warranty starts from the date of maufacture. Look at the back there should be a panel or sticker with the manufacter date and serial number.

If its under 3 years they will either fix it or give you a new one.

Yeh, it is quite old it was manufactured in 2002 - my girlfriend purchased it in 2005 so it would be out of warranty now. It probably isn't worth getting a technician to look at it considering cheap new LCDs are $200.

I could try my bob the builder skills to try and fix it but as far as a soldering iron goes I just use to like using them to melt holes in stuff.

Thanks for your help mate. I'll find out how much it is for someone to look at it, if its too much I will pull it apart just to pretend I think I know what I'm doing.