Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 28th September 2008, 9:36 AM   #1
jd_johnson Thread Starter

Default Dodo blocked incoming port 80

Hi all,

looking for some advice in case I have missed something.

I have a ADSL connection with Dodo, I run a mail server and web server which have been running fine for months.

On friday at 3pm the normal visitors to my forum started complaining that they could no longer access my forums.

I checked everything at home and from inside my network everything was working including the forums. Apache is listening on port 80 checked with netstat.

Replaced my netgear dl834g router with an identical new unit still no joy.

By this time I am thinking that the problem is not at my end and the it appears that incoming port 80 is being blocked somewhere upstream.

I confirmed this by looking at the logs in the router after I created a firewall rule to open ports 78 to 81 and then did a port scan of each port via an external web site.

The log shows a rule match for port 78, 79 and 81 this I believe confirms that port 80 data is not being sent to my router.

Does this make sense as the ISP seem to think is unlikely?

Are there any other checks I can do to confirm that the incoming port 80 is being blocked at my ISP?

cheers
jd_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 28th September 2008, 9:53 AM   #2
s3kemo

Check out the whingepool forums and see if someone else has had a similar thing. Seems strange to have only kicked in recently though
48 Successful Trades: bAbY_RoG3R, red_marine, NuMatthu, z3[n], jtsmorris, ShaneBrooks, JeffK, DigiTal, orbisfactor, Rickster x3, krayzia2, other ed, foreva, Lowy, siamak, BananaMan, karsa, FoxMan, Howard, MiniDisc, jboles, jimboh2k, Datsun1600, neilz, gmturner, T-Bones, NforSa, phat_s14, Drewcarey, inspectr, kathshan x3, MultiSlayer, tuapui, sizzaone, j00cy, evo800v, Skidoo, Goth, zha50, wast3gat3, Herman, Zenskas, mookie3three, Psycronic, 180degrees, Garido
s3kemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 10:31 AM   #3

I agree does seem strange.

I have tried a temporary solution and moved my sites to port 5000.
Old 28th September 2008, 12:14 PM   #4
yoda123

Dodo probably found you where hosting a website on a home grade ADSL connection and as such blocked that from happening. Pretty sure it is in most clauses when you sign up that you wont do that.
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 1:55 PM   #5
woodys_world69

yeah they can block specific users for excessive bandwidth

i know of 1 ISP that blocks SMTP incase of a virus spamming out to there server from a pc...

Most occasions its for malware issues. not generally overuse they would hit 1 user.....btw how much bandwidth u go through a month?

HTTP that is
Old 28th September 2008, 1:59 PM   #6
DiGiTaL MoNkEY
Inverted Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda123 View Post
Dodo probably found you where hosting a website on a home grade ADSL connection and as such blocked that from happening. Pretty sure it is in most clauses when you sign up that you wont do that.
Yah, i'd say that is what happened, quite a few ISP's won't allow it.
DiGiTaL MoNkEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 5:23 PM   #7

That would be strange because I made it quite clear I would be doing that (hosting web sites) and that was the reason I went to Dodo because I could get the fixed IP and the higher bandwidth connection.
Old 28th September 2008, 5:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys_world69 View Post
yeah they can block specific users for excessive bandwidth

i know of 1 ISP that blocks SMTP incase of a virus spamming out to there server from a pc...

Most occasions its for malware issues. not generally overuse they would hit 1 user.....btw how much bandwidth u go through a month?

HTTP that is
I have a 5p/5op gig per month which is really 2.5p/op as dodo count upload and download, this was a real surprise when I found this out. I use about 6-7 gig which I pay extra for and is capped at a maximum of $110 per month on a normal cost of $69 per month.

I think I will be getting them to review the over the phone agreement as this was not even mentioned.
Old 28th September 2008, 6:05 PM   #9
fester2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_johnson View Post
I have a 5p/5op gig per month which is really 2.5p/op as dodo count upload and download, this was a real surprise when I found this out. I use about 6-7 gig which I pay extra for and is capped at a maximum of $110 per month on a normal cost of $69 per month.

I think I will be getting them to review the over the phone agreement as this was not even mentioned.
Was there anything questionable being posted on these forums that dodo may have decided to remove?

There are plenty of other isps that offer a Static IP address, dont count uploads and are much cheaper then that!

That said propper web hosting is also unbelievably cheap.
fester2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 9:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester2001 View Post
Was there anything questionable being posted on these forums that dodo may have decided to remove?

There are plenty of other isps that offer a Static IP address, dont count uploads and are much cheaper then that!

That said propper web hosting is also unbelievably cheap.
I wouldn't think the content was questionable because its a lawn bowls forum. www.bowlsblog.com lmfao

Open to suggestions!
Old 28th September 2008, 9:51 PM   #11
Ambush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_johnson View Post
Open to suggestions!
While this may sound like trolling, I am being perfectly serious: have you thought of switching to a better grade of ISP like Internode or Westnet? I know Internode have no issues with home servers and they don't count upload bandwidth.
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 5:05 AM   #12
flu!d
Distro: Mint 16

I run a mail server off a Dodo ISP connection and have run a webserver in the past with no issues. Have a loon in your members area and make sure there isn't an option to turn port 80 on and off, you can turn port 25 on and off.

If your router supports loopback (most do). Go to the cmd prompt ant type telnet xx.xxx.xx.x 80 and see what response you get, otherwise, go here:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

And check that port 80 is open.

Are you sure port 80 is forwarded correctly to your server? Is the server running a static ip address or one that is reserved in DHCP? Its lease may have expired and the DHCP server changed it's internal ip address, so the port is now forwarded to the wrong ip?

Amiga 500 - 1MB chip ram - 130MB fast ram - 4GB CF HDD - Motorola 68030/25 @ 42mhz - ECS chipset - Indivision ECS - ACA500 - Hercules Prophetview 920DVI - AmigaOS 3.1 with Scalos workbench - WHDload and iGame LONG LIVE THE AMIGA!!

Last edited by flu!d; 29th September 2008 at 5:08 AM.
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 7:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu!d View Post
I run a mail server off a Dodo ISP connection and have run a webserver in the past with no issues. Have a loon in your members area and make sure there isn't an option to turn port 80 on and off, you can turn port 25 on and off.

If your router supports loopback (most do). Go to the cmd prompt ant type telnet xx.xxx.xx.x 80 and see what response you get, otherwise, go here:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

And check that port 80 is open.

Are you sure port 80 is forwarded correctly to your server? Is the server running a static ip address or one that is reserved in DHCP? Its lease may have expired and the DHCP server changed it's internal ip address, so the port is now forwarded to the wrong ip?

Yep its all good, it was a working set up and I have a temporary work around by changing Apache to listen on port 5000 and opened port 5000 on my router firewall, I then web forwarded my domain to port 5000 (I love zoneedit).

Its working fine and I am positive that any port 80 traffic is not being forwarded to my ip this can be shown from the router log files. Opened ports 78-81 as a firewall rule then run external scan of ports 78,79,80 and 80, check log file on router and I have only rule matches for 78,79,81. Using this method you can ignore the computer setup as you are only looking at traffic to the router firewall. Log file confirms no port 80 traffic is getting to the router but eveything else is.

I only run a small internal network so I don't use DHCP, as I said looking at the router firewall I can discount the computer setup if its not getting to the router nothing else matters at this point in time.

I also run a mail server and it is fine, only inbound port 80 is an issue.

Last edited by jd_johnson; 29th September 2008 at 7:22 AM.
Old 29th September 2008, 7:55 AM   #14
phreeky82

I run some web stuff from home too, and use aaNET. They seem to leave all ports open, which IMO is how it should be unless it's clearly stated/requested when you first sign up. Someone earlier mentioned Internet + Westnet, pretty sure both sign a fair amount of the static IP option.

However, running a lawn bowls forum, I think you should cough up the tiny fee and use paid hosting.
Old 29th September 2008, 8:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreeky82 View Post
I run some web stuff from home too, and use aaNET. They seem to leave all ports open, which IMO is how it should be unless it's clearly stated/requested when you first sign up. Someone earlier mentioned Internet + Westnet, pretty sure both sign a fair amount of the static IP option.

However, running a lawn bowls forum, I think you should cough up the tiny fee and use paid hosting.
Why should I do that?

I enjoy running my own servers and doing the admin required plus the freedom it allows, it also allows me control over back ups etc.

If I pay for the bandwidth how can there be an issue with what I use it for as long as its inside the law?