Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st November 2008, 8:45 AM   #1
moloko vellocet Thread Starter

Default AMD Austin Tech Day - Information from the inside

Hey peeps!

I quite literally just got back to the hotel from AMD's Austin campus after a day with some rather interesting information being disclosed and freely discussed.

Unfortunately, the level of free discussion outside of the room is heavily covered by NDA so I'm unable to announce specific details. But this is what I can say...

The new platform from AMD will be called 'Dragon' and will be focused around the new 'Phenom II' processors, 4800-series Radeon graphics cards and 7-series chipset based motherboards.

Here are some general performance observations that I can disclose:

Phenom II and the Dragon platform can overclock to 4GHz on air - we were demonstrated a system @ 3.9GHz using stock bus frequency and HT link frequency and a multiplier set at 19.5x. This was done with 1.55v BIOS set. This system was looping endlessly through a Crysis time demo without issue; by the end of the day it was past 100 loops.

The platform core specifications demonstrated were as follows:

Phenom II processor
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H motherboard
Radeon HD4870X2 graphics
OCZ Reaper memory

While the unit demonstrated was @ 3.9GHz, we later had a hands on benching period with the new platform and I was able to quite easily reach this stated 4GHz frequency.

This same platform also exceeded 5GHz on liquid nitrogen cooling. But what was perhaps the coolest (no pun intended) specific of this demonstration was the processor operating and even cold booting at -196 degrees Celsius - that's right, AMD has no cold bugs of any kind, at all for Phenom II!

During this LN2 session the system was demonstrated operating in excess of 5GHz and running 1.95v BIOS set (1.936v CPU-Z read in Windows) and as stated, at the maximum lowest temps available with liquid nitrogen - time to find a liquid helium supplier peeps!

I'm gagged by the NDA on any further information and specifications such as model numbers, product features + specs, stock clock frequencies or even specific overclocked frequencies (i.e. LN2 max) as well as pricing, competitive performance or bench scores. So please, don't even bother asking me these questions as I cannot and will not answer these questions - at least until the NDA drops.

What I wanted to do with this post is at least let you all know that there is hope still for AMD and that while I've harped on about the LN2 experience, the overclocking ability is solid for LN2, phase, water and air cooling methods.

Cheers guys

ASUS Australia
In Search of Incredible
moloko vellocet is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st November 2008, 8:52 AM   #2
Frontl1ne

1.55v for 3.9GHz, is that safe for a 45nm chip? :S

moloko, any chance of disclosing how much voltage it took for you to reach 4GHz?

Cheers for the news
Frontl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 9:07 AM   #3
prezident doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by moloko vellocet View Post
So please, don't even bother asking me these questions as I cannot and will not answer these questions - at least until the NDA drops.
So i guess the question is... when does the NDA drop

Nice info btw
Old 21st November 2008, 9:48 AM   #4
mAJORD

no coldbug... if that's true - AWESOME
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 9:50 AM   #5
AEKaBeer

Confirmed 4GHz on air is what's doing it for me. I'll be content with a 3.6ghz clock, 1GHz faster than my current opty (which is still handling itself well I might add) and twice the cores = Mmmm!
Old 21st November 2008, 10:39 AM   #6
AEKaBeer

Is this what the NDA is not letting you put out? 6GHz! Holy Shit
Old 21st November 2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Anthw27

Cool

Quote:
Hey peeps!

What I wanted to do with this post is at least let you all know that there is hope still for AMD and that while I've harped on about the LN2 experience, the overclocking ability is solid for LN2, phase, water and air cooling methods.

Cheers guys
Theres always been hope. I consider myself a AMD fanboy, and while Intel impresses me, I prefer AMD for stability. I can honestly say that AMD processors and chipsets have been more stable for me than anything Intel that I have owned to date.

AMD aint done and dusted like a lot of others believe, yes i7 is an amazing thing , but wait untill AMD get to 32nm they will have some suprises for intel.

either way there is room in the marlket for both producers and I personally think thast AMD is the more innovative and will prove that they have the most power efficent product in the near future.
CPU: INTEL Core i5 3300 @ 3400 Mhz Cooler: Corsair H60 [/B]Mobo: AsRock z77 Extreme 4 LGa1155 Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 Mhz Pri SSD: Samsung 128gb 840 Series Pro Sec HDD:500 Gb WD Caviar SATA II Third HDD 1 x 320 Gb WD Caviar SATA II Opticals Liteon DVD 16x +/- RW PSU: Corsair HX 650 Video:Nvidia GTX660 2GB Case:Phanteks Enthoo Pro OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
Anthw27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 12:27 PM   #8
pantner

so, any performance numbers at these speeds??? or is that what is under the NDA???
pantner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 12:29 PM   #9
kingborel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantner View Post
so, any performance numbers at these speeds??? or is that what is under the NDA???
Quote:
Hey peeps!
I'm gagged by the NDA on any further information and specifications such as model numbers, product features + specs, stock clock frequencies or even specific overclocked frequencies (i.e. LN2 max) as well as pricing, competitive performance or bench scores. So please, don't even bother asking me these questions as I cannot and will not answer these questions - at least until the NDA drops.

(10char)
kingborel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 12:33 PM   #10
sandeep

I can tell you at they won't be fully stable at 3.9Ghz or 4Ghz. They might be stable at 3.8Ghz.

I think AMD is back in action since the release of 9850 BE.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:35 PM   #11
pantner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingborel View Post

(10char)
lol...reading = FAIL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep View Post
I can tell you at they won't be fully stable at 3.9Ghz or 4Ghz. They might be stable at 3.8Ghz.
and how do you know? have you used them?
pantner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 1:17 PM   #12
dinos22
OCAU Sponsor

shame that we dont have any cheerleader smilies cause they are sooo appropriate right now

go AMD

OCAU HWBOT TEAM Z97 COMPETITION - SPONSORED BY GIGABYTE!
dinos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 1:36 PM   #13
Frontl1ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep View Post
They looped Crysis throughout the whole day continuously on all OC'd Deneb systems according to Legit Reviews. Sure it might not be Prime95 "stable" but at least it can run big games like Crysis without stability issues. I'm sure with a bit of tinkering and tweaking, OCers would be able to get it stable.
Frontl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 2:54 PM   #14
doghouse

This is brilliant news, maybe its time to flog off my Kentsfield, when does the NDA get lifted? I want Penryn but I miss AMD.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 6:42 PM   #15
Apokalipse

Quote:
I'm gagged by the NDA on any further information and specifications such as model numbers, product features + specs, stock clock frequencies or even specific overclocked frequencies (i.e. LN2 max)
Quote:
During this LN2 session the system was demonstrated operating in excess of 5GHz
If that's not the max, something tells me this could be a record breaking chip.