Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Electronics & Electrics

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 2nd February 2009, 9:14 AM   #1
andrew_bg Thread Starter

Default Cost of power connection over long distance

Hi all,

I have a question for the sparkies of the group.
I know that i cant get accurate answers without a plethora of data, but I am not after a quote, just a ballpark figure.

I am interested in a bush property in Collinsvale Tasmania, but it doesnt have grid power connected.
I am not sure of the closest power, however the agent says that it is 'Close' rofl, but i think that my interpretation and his is very different.

If I got straight line to the nearest property I get about 700m, or if I go along the access road I get about 1300m.

Aurora Energy need to know the pole number of the closest pole before they can give a ballpark, but my question is, ballpark numbers, what is the accepted costs involved in a 1300m power delivery?

I can only assume that it would be pole mounted power, and I guess that all things equal there might be a transformer involved in there somewhere.

My gut feel is somewhere between $30k - $50k, is that fair?

i am thinking that if that is the case then it would really make sense to go PV Solar and Wind and off grid system with batteries, which, again, my ballpark back of the coaster says $25k - $30k.

We will be building as an energy efficient house as possible, and if we do go off grid it would be exclusively as energy efficient lighting as possible, maybe even 12v throughout.

We will go with gas most likely for heating and cooking and solar hot water with gas backup.
Cooling wont be involved necessarily, but maybe later on.
I would be looking to utilize any excess energy production in either / both water heating or pumping water so that I can get the absolute most bang for buck out of what we generate.
Use a tank much higher than the house for water pressure so that it wouldnt be necessary to run a pressure pump all the time.

Am I smoking something or can anyone confirm my thoughts?

cheers

Last edited by andrew_bg; 2nd February 2009 at 9:21 AM.
andrew_bg is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd February 2009, 3:24 PM   #2
Dezza Bot

If you need one pole put in then solar should be considered a serious alternative if your power requirements are low. If you need two power poles then I wouldn't even bother connecting to the grid. If it's 700m as the crow flies, that's going to be more than two poles. My reasoning around this is based on some very old quotes, so I'd get em out to do a real quote.
Old 2nd February 2009, 3:33 PM   #3
andrew_bg Thread Starter

Thanks for that, that was pretty much what I was thinking.
The 700m run would be practically impossible though as it would have to go through rugged uncleared bush that someone else owns.

Either way it will be expensive, however the 35 acres that I am looking at is listed as $80k when another block that is 50 acres <1km away with a similar outlook is $295k.

Granted one is cleared and the other is 100% bush, but it is quite a saving.

cheers

Andrew
Old 2nd February 2009, 3:38 PM   #4
HeXa

afaik there is a recommended distance because lines on poles too far apart in rural areas get pulled down by harvesters and the like. Everything looks different to when I was a kid.. but iirc, about 70-100m apart.

EDIT: oh... and iirc () you could have private power poles as well if you wanted to save some $$$s on install
6600K @ 4.5 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 STRIX OC GAMING GTR | 16GB GEIL SUPER DOUCHE 3000 | 256GB SAMSUNG 950 PRO | 1TB SAMSUNG 850 EVO | ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING | NZXT S340 | ANTEC KÜHLER H20 620 | SILVERSTONE STRIDER PLUS 750W | ATH-AD700 OPEN EAR CANS | RAZER BLACKWIDOW CHROMA MECH KB | RAZER DEATHADDER CHROMA MOOSE | RAZER FIREFLY (NO 2ND SEASON) | HTC VIVE

Last edited by HeXa; 2nd February 2009 at 3:41 PM.
HeXa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 9:56 PM   #5
Symon
(Plugging your Socket)

Just go and get a quote from Auroa. There are soooo many variables it is impossible to give you even a ball park figure. A friend of mine up here in QLD got a 1000m SWER line put in for about $10k, but his situation is probably totally different to yours.

"The biggest problem in Australia is the tall poppy syndrome. Without tall poppies you have only weeds" - Lindsay Fox
Symon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:47 AM   #6
Odje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon View Post
A friend of mine up here in QLD got a 1000m SWER line put in for about $10k...
Just out of curiosity, did the SWER line have transformers at each end? If so, what voltage was the transmission at?

There are only 2 reasons why you should run,
1. If you are being chased or
2. If you are on fire
Odje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 4:44 AM   #7
Symon
(Plugging your Socket)

All the SWER systems I've dealt with are just one phase off a 33kV line, so they run at about 19kV, which means you'll only have a transformer at the consumers end, which will give you 240/480V supply.

"The biggest problem in Australia is the tall poppy syndrome. Without tall poppies you have only weeds" - Lindsay Fox
Symon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 5:29 AM   #8
andrew_bg Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon View Post
Just go and get a quote from Auroa. There are soooo many variables it is impossible to give you even a ball park figure. A friend of mine up here in QLD got a 1000m SWER line put in for about $10k, but his situation is probably totally different to yours.
I would if I could, but at this point I cant.

I am in Sydney, the land is in Tasmania, and I would need to find out pole numbers, which I have no idea what is the closest.

What I am trying to do is figure out if it is worth buying the block.
ie does the cost of adding power to it make it still substantially cheaper than what else is around.
Old 3rd February 2009, 8:07 AM   #9
bergerac

Get the agent to get the pole number for you, make them earn their money dammit!
bergerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 8:19 AM   #10
andrew_bg Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerac View Post
Get the agent to get the pole number for you, make them earn their money dammit!
That is a nice thought.
Old 10th February 2009, 5:32 PM   #11
andrew_bg Thread Starter

OK to answer my own question in case it helps others

I got the quote for the grid connection and it was pretty much what I expected.

$34,000 for 1.5km run on poles next to access road
$15,000 if this isnt dead flat
$25,000 if there needs to be any tree removal
$74,000 total (as all these things were present)

$74,000 for the 600m run due to it being heavily treed and rough terrain.

So there you go, that is what it costs.

FWIW I will be going with an off-grid solar/wind system that will cost approx $90,000 but considering the above quote I am eligible for the 50% discount so it will be about $45,000 out of pocket.

Not too bad considering the grid quote and I wont ever have a power bill again
Old 10th February 2009, 5:41 PM   #12
mhgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_bg View Post

Not too bad considering the grid quote and I wont ever have a power bill again
Can I ask what stuff you will have? I.e. how many wind generators of what rating, how many kW of solar etc, what battery bank?
mhgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 5:45 PM   #13
andrew_bg Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgarage View Post
Can I ask what stuff you will have? I.e. how many wind generators of what rating, how many kW of solar etc, what battery bank?
I dont know the exact specifics yet, will post them when I have them, but that is basically 32 solar panels, 24 batteries and 1x 600w wind turbine.

That setup was rated something like about 17kWh a day usage with 5 days buffer to 50% battery usage.
Old 10th February 2009, 6:45 PM   #14
mhgarage

Quote:
I dont know the exact specifics yet, will post them when I have them, but that is basically 32 solar panels, 24 batteries and 1x 600w wind turbine.

That setup was rated something like about 17kWh a day usage with 5 days buffer to 50% battery usage.
Thanks - please let us know. I for one am v interested
mhgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 8:20 PM   #15
Odje

Quote:
I wont ever have a power bill again
Not quite. You will have to replace your batteries every few years (depending on usage). And batteries are not cheap.

There are only 2 reasons why you should run,
1. If you are being chased or
2. If you are on fire
Odje is offline   Reply With Quote