Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food > Geek Grog & Homebrew

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th February 2009, 1:42 AM   #1
ProphecyKnthrak Thread Starter

Default Tusker beer

Is this vanuatu beer available anywhere in Australia, NSW?
I recently tried this n its fantastic.... n i hate beer!

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th February 2009, 8:36 AM   #2
PostModern
Angry Brewer

Thought it was from Kenya? Try www.internationalbeershop.com.au

The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
PostModern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Norcs

Definitely a Tusker beer that is made in Vanuatu, the brewery is down devils point road heading towards Hideaways Island.

I have never seen it for sale in Australia, but you could buy Bluetounge as a substitute.

I think it is named for the tusks of the wild pigs over there, as opposed to the Kenyan one for the elephants.

Linkage : http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/vanuatu...er/51088/7208/

EDIT : Unsure if I was drinking mostly the Lager or Bitter, but I think it was the Lager.

Last edited by Norcs; 16th February 2009 at 10:42 AM.
Norcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 12:12 PM   #4
PostModern
Angry Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcs View Post
Definitely a Tusker beer that is made in Vanuatu, the brewery is down devils point road heading towards Hideaways Island.

Linkage : http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/vanuatu...er/51088/7208/
The first review at ratebeer made me LOL.

Quote:
It must be the kava. As a drink of choice this peppery mind altering beverage stands out as an example of what is wacky about the Pacific Islands. as if to offer a counterpoint the brewers must ahve all gotten together and decided to brew really bad, ceral laden, thin and nasty pale lagers. I wouldn’t ven call this a lawnmower beer, more like a jungle defoliation brew.
I think rather than chase this beer in Australia, and no doubt pay a premium price for it, it would be best to save it to trips to Vanuatu. Often the enjoyment of a beer is tied to the time and place it was consumed, like the way everyone loves the first beer they had with their mates in a pub.

Old 16th February 2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Active Snail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModern View Post
I think rather than chase this beer in Australia, and no doubt pay a premium price for it, it would be best to save it to trips to Vanuatu. Often the enjoyment of a beer is tied to the time and place it was consumed, like the way everyone loves the first beer they had with their mates in a pub.
Youre absolutely right, i drowned in this stuff when i was in Vanuatu, loved it to death but i think the fact i was sitting on one of the nicest beaches i've ever seen eating a lobster made it taste like the best beer in the world.
Southampton FC - Come on Saints!!! >>> Diablo 3 - BIGT#1809

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxtin View Post
From my school days i remember often the ducks students were dumb as shit
Active Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 1:07 AM   #6
ProphecyKnthrak Thread Starter

oh poo! Will check out Dan Murphs if they have it. I miss that stuff!!
Old 2nd March 2009, 2:16 PM   #7
Foos

drank heaps of it when i was there in sep.

Awesome.. probably tastes like ass on a cold day in melb - but over there
Old 2nd March 2009, 3:51 PM   #8
Kindros

TBH there is not a great amount of alcoholic beverages I will repeatedly drink. I am not a huge beer fan, simply because the offerings to my taste aren't there. But a Tusker is a pleasant beer to drink. It isn't overly fizzy, sure, but you don't really want that in tropical heat. It isn't over flavoured either, which I really enjoy. I personally think many beers, like wine these days rely/over-compensate too much on strong flavour to give it character.

And honestly those people on ratebeer sound like wanks jumping on the hate bandwagon.

The only problem with Tusker's are they are a bit shoddy when it comes to the ML measurement, bit like Corona used to be.

PS Tusker's are safer to drink then the local water. I know which I would continually choose.
Kindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 4:57 PM   #9
PostModern
Angry Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindros View Post
TBH there is not a great amount of alcoholic beverages I will repeatedly drink. I am not a huge beer fan, simply because the offerings to my taste aren't there. But a Tusker is a pleasant beer to drink. It isn't overly fizzy, sure, but you don't really want that in tropical heat. It isn't over flavoured either, which I really enjoy. I personally think many beers, like wine these days rely/over-compensate too much on strong flavour to give it character.

And honestly those people on ratebeer sound like wanks jumping on the hate bandwagon.

The only problem with Tusker's are they are a bit shoddy when it comes to the ML measurement, bit like Corona used to be.

PS Tusker's are safer to drink then the local water. I know which I would continually choose.
If a beer is bad, why should ratebeer raters give it a good rap?
Pacific lager is boring. It really is. There is nothing wrong with flavour in beer, but that is something that seems to have been ignored by all the beer makers in our region. Even quaffable beer can be brewed to taste good, so it should be. Bland beer is "easy to drink" but hell, so is water. If "easy to drink" is the prime determinant of quality, then water > beer and we all know that's just silly.

I think "young people these days" </old man rant> have been raised on too much sugar and salt, so they can't taste subtle differences in adult products like beer and wine.

Try Svyturys lager if you want to know what a good quaffable high adjunct beer should taste like. Or a Kirin Ichiban (imported, not the brewed under licence crap). Then take a Tusker or a Crown lager and all will be revealed.

Beer is always safer to drink than water, as an hour-long boil is part of the production process. St Arnou of Belgium, patron saint of brewers, was sainted for saving his village by making the locals drink beer and not water when the well went bad.

Old 2nd March 2009, 5:31 PM   #10
BLAZEUP420

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModern View Post
Or a Kirin Ichiban (imported, not the brewed under licence crap). .
Can you still get the import stuff? I haven't seen it for sale. Bloody hell I hate the trend of brewing an imported beer locally, ruining the taste and still charging the same price for it. I quite liked Kirin, I haven't tried the locally brewed version but my dad said it's no good, so that's enough for me.
BLAZEUP420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 9:34 PM   #11
PostModern
Angry Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZEUP420 View Post
Can you still get the import stuff? I haven't seen it for sale. Bloody hell I hate the trend of brewing an imported beer locally, ruining the taste and still charging the same price for it. I quite liked Kirin, I haven't tried the locally brewed version but my dad said it's no good, so that's enough for me.
Your dad is right. Last imported one I had was in NZ. Haven't seen it locally since they started the BUL.

Old 23rd July 2009, 5:44 PM   #12
Active Snail

Here it is!

Memories.
Southampton FC - Come on Saints!!! >>> Diablo 3 - BIGT#1809

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxtin View Post
From my school days i remember often the ducks students were dumb as shit
Active Snail is offline   Reply With Quote