Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th May 2009, 4:32 PM   #1
snipa84 Thread Starter

Unhappy Monitoring internet usage on LAN per IP?

Hi All,

Been looking for a bit but maybe I'm not searching for the right thing. I'm trying to find a tool (if at all possible) that can monitor the network to see bandwidth used by each IP address on the network.

From what I can gather, my router (a Netgear DG834G) doesn't seem to have any logging tools. It's a basic home wireless LAN so no server. Is it possible to run a tool on one of the computers which will tell me the usage for all of them?

I'm assuming not... but any help would be great, I'm probably missing something simple. Linux or Windows based is OK.

Also, sorry if this is a really stupid question. lol.
snipa84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th May 2009, 5:43 PM   #2
DeNs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipa84 View Post
Linux or Windows based is OK.
Smoothwall + bandviewX should suit your needs nicely if you've got a spare PC with a couple of NICs in it kicking around. It also means you can get rid of that icky Netgear router

---dens
Old 13th May 2009, 7:59 PM   #3
openflame06

There is some firmware that uses darkstat and some other program that i cant remember now.

I would suggest its better to have a dedicated box for routing connections though and to make sure if you can to determine what traffic is what.

I had an issue where my usage was showing as being huge because I transferred large files via LAN - uses no internet quota but still was showing as usage.
openflame06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 8:57 PM   #4
kbekus

another option similar to the one posted by DeNs is IPCop (a derivative of Smoothwall) with nTop. nTop is pretty cool since it shows traffic by type, by destination, etc. It gives graphs over time and all sorts of stuff.
kbekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 9:38 PM   #5
DeNs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbekus View Post
another option similar to the one posted by DeNs is IPCop (a derivative of Smoothwall) with nTop. nTop is pretty cool since it shows traffic by type, by destination, etc. It gives graphs over time and all sorts of stuff.
True, I'd forgotten that and i'm actually running it on one of my servers Yeah, nTop's (new?) web interface is actually really informative, though I haven't run it on a Smoothwall/IpCop box so don't know how that would work. I'm sure someone's wanted to do it at some stage, so it's worth looking up.

---dens
Old 15th May 2009, 2:18 PM   #6
kbekus

http://mhaddons.tk/ have a 'module' of nTop for IPCop so you can just copy it across and install it.... I actually use something slightly different - I got the source code for fprobe and compiled it for IPCop. Then I send the flow to nTop running on a CactiEz install.... I did it this way because my IPCop box runs on a CF card and I wanted minimal disk writing to keep the CF card alive longer.

But either way, nTop is quite good. Infact it's too good for me I struggle to deal with all it's options. A nice intro to nTop is here: http://www.simpleweb.org/tutorials/i...ntop/ntop.html, and here is another one: http://techowto.wordpress.com/

Last edited by kbekus; 15th May 2009 at 2:21 PM.
kbekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 8:22 AM   #7
Fitzi

Hey guys, we have been having an issue at one of our clients sites and I have been looking at smoothwall as a way to monitor and graph the traffic on their LAN (per IP or workstation), however I am not sure that smoothwall is the best solution.

We have an MPLS network that our client is a a part of, so first of all I have bridged the router and I am getting the smoothwall box to look after the authentication, this works I am currently testing it on my home connection.

The issue is that I will the need to disable NAT'ing and firewall (the edge device for the MPLS is our firewall in the co-lo and all traffic is routed through it). I am not sure that this is possible as obviously smoothwall is a firewall.

Maybe I am on the completely wrong track, what I am after is a box I can stick in between their LAN and their router and log all traffic going through the router, is this possible with smoothwall on an MPLS network? I was first attracted to using it as it had snort installed but as we are not a subscriber it seems that snort is rather limited in its implementation. Ideally I would like to be able to use this box in any clients site (MPLS or not) to troubleshoot bandwidth issues.

Can this be done with smoothwall? Will I have issues with MPLS? Does anyone have any better ideas?

Sorry for the thread hijack, I was going to start another one, but It seemed more appropriate to continue the conversation in here.
Old 15th August 2009, 10:46 AM   #8
cs-cam

If the Netgear router has an SNMP server on it then you could use something like PTRG to monitor network usage - haven't done it with wireless though so not sure how that'd work. Might be a much simpler solution than adding another box to your network though.
cs-cam is offline   Reply With Quote