Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 24th June 2009, 12:17 PM   #16
mr. Twitch Thread Starter

So it turns out that the Magic (and any android phones in general) do not support bluetooth OBEX as of yet...

The Nokia 5800 is looking like a better option now at the moment (assuming it can charge over USB)
mr. Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th June 2009, 2:15 PM   #17
domlebo

FYI you dont need to use itunes with the iphone.
Old 24th June 2009, 2:17 PM   #18
mr. Twitch Thread Starter

what else cany ou use then?

I found a good deal on a Nokia 5800... thinking of going with it

http://www.techrific.com.au/nokia-58...d858429e65be0e
mr. Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 11:45 AM   #19
Maelstrom

Just an aside, have you looked at third party music players for your N95?

Some of the third-party apps are pretty awesome:

PowerMP3
http://www.mobifactor.ru/index.php?o...d=26&Itemid=36

Also:
Fring (IM client)
Opera Mobile (not the free java Mini version)
Handy Taskman (Task manager for your phone, allows you to kill unresponsive apps)
FirstAid (Useful first aid instructions)
cClock (Replaces the clock screensaver with an easier to see one)
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 1:51 PM   #20
JebusJones

Am loving my 5800.

It doesn't charge via USB though.

Wish the OVI store had better apps as well, and better free ones at that. Pretty piss-poor at the moment but then I really only use it for MP3, FM Radio, phone, SMS, MMS, basic web browsing and checking my email. For all of that it's awesome. GPS I really don't use so can't comment on it much.
DIABLO III: JebusJones#6949
JebusJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 3:33 AM   #21
Dodoman

For some of the best audio from a phone get a touch HD. It's comparable to a 1st gen iTouch. Make sure you use good headphones though as the supplied ones are always crap.
Then there is the SE W995 which has some of the best SQ sony has ever put on a phone and is comparable to the touch 2G.

Go to gsmarena and have a look at the phones on the site. The reviews always cover sound quality.

Last edited by Dodoman; 28th June 2009 at 3:36 AM.
Dodoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 7:22 PM   #22
irR4tiOn4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Twitch View Post
I hate the way with an iphone im tied to itunes though... I really dislike that software...
Its a bit of a walled city, no two ways around it. You can use 'sharepod' and other such programs to get access other than through itunes, but no USB mass drive still means its ridiculously restricted compared to most mobiles

Still love mine tho

Originally posted by Irish Proverb When you are right, no one remembers. When you are wrong, no one forgets.

Originally posted by Ben Franklin Once people realise they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
irR4tiOn4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 7:24 PM   #23
irR4tiOn4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodoman View Post
For some of the best audio from a phone get a touch HD. It's comparable to a 1st gen iTouch. Make sure you use good headphones though as the supplied ones are always crap.
Then there is the SE W995 which has some of the best SQ sony has ever put on a phone and is comparable to the touch 2G.

Go to gsmarena and have a look at the phones on the site. The reviews always cover sound quality.
This is why i use Apple ipods/iphones in the first place; where almost all other mobiles skimp on the most important but least reviewed bits, you can rely on Apple to put in a decent headphone amp

Originally posted by Irish Proverb When you are right, no one remembers. When you are wrong, no one forgets.

Originally posted by Ben Franklin Once people realise they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:56 PM   #24
SavvyFx

Quote:
oh, awesome about that adaptor thing

seems like the magic is the phone for me then.
Check out the HTC Hero.

It ticks all the boxes
SavvyFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:09 PM   #25
HUMMER

Quote:
I hate the way with an iphone im tied to itunes though... I really dislike that software...
thats what im weighing up as well. not a big fan of itunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irR4tiOn4L View Post
Its a bit of a walled city, no two ways around it. You can use 'sharepod' and other such programs to get access other than through itunes, but no USB mass drive still means its ridiculously restricted compared to most mobiles

Still love mine tho
the only viable work around i can see is to use SSH to connect to the phone and copy files to the phone this way.

NOTE: the above needs jailbreaking of the iphone.

Originally Posted by Subcommandante - Who are DVDA? Just a bunch of guys hanging out and having fun...

Originally Posted by Agg - You seem to be confusing OCAU with some kind of democracy.

Originally Posted by Spyfox - mount it on the rear like a brokeback cowboy
HUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:14 PM   #26
domlebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMER View Post

the only viable work around i can see is to use SSH to connect to the phone and copy files to the phone this way.

You can use USB; i forgot the name of the program. I'll try and find it.
Old 3rd July 2009, 5:35 PM   #27
irR4tiOn4L

Quote:

Not only does it need jailbreaking, it also needs a custom program like 'iphonebrowser' on the computer. Its nowhere near as nice as a mass usb drive

Old 3rd July 2009, 8:05 PM   #28
HUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by irR4tiOn4L View Post
Not only does it need jailbreaking, it also needs a custom program like 'iphonebrowser' on the computer. Its nowhere near as nice as a mass usb drive
thats the thing that is somewhat weighing in the negative of getting an iphone.

Originally Posted by Subcommandante - Who are DVDA? Just a bunch of guys hanging out and having fun...

Originally Posted by Agg - You seem to be confusing OCAU with some kind of democracy.

Originally Posted by Spyfox - mount it on the rear like a brokeback cowboy
HUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 8:08 PM   #29
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Looking to consolidate phone and MP3 player
I've done exactly this.....best move ever. Eliminates extra expense and other hassles......will never buy a phone without mp3 capability again.
abbott on the NBN: "We're not against using the internet, errr, for all these things, ah but do we really want to invest $50billion dollars of hard earned tax payers money on what is essentially a video entertainment system."
| Co2 is weightless apparently
MR CHILLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 2:04 PM   #30
irR4tiOn4L

Quote:
thats the thing that is somewhat weighing in the negative of getting an iphone.
I should mention then that i still have an iphone and would buy it again.

You need to evaluate whether open access is something you really need. Because iphones also have a lot to like about them, and particularly the new iphone 3G S is very speedy and powerful.

When i compare to something like the Touch HD (one of the few phones with a larger screen) i find the Touch HD lacks basic usability; Touchflo 3d doesnt cover most functions and Windows Mobile is clunky; even a basic thing like colour depth - iphone has 16 million colours, Windows Mobile limits the Touch HD to 60k colours - it makes a big difference when you watch a movie!

Watch this comparison and read the comments; the iphones just have better transitions and well worked through graphic presentation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sCur...eature=related

Oh and resistive touch screen is not nearly as nice as the iphone's capacitive touch (and multitouch)

Also, the iphone has great audio quality - i dont think the HTC devices can compete there.

Theres no point going through all the features and differences, except to say that a Jailbroken iphone is a very useful device with many applications available but with great ease of use. Windows mobile devices are often able to run more office and other software, but they are clunky, buggy, and often not nearly as well thought out or polished.

Youll probably be happy with either, but need to evaluate what is most important to you

Last edited by irR4tiOn4L; 4th July 2009 at 2:13 PM.