Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th July 2009, 10:45 AM   #1
SgtCaboose Thread Starter

Default Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

So whats the current deal with firearms in Australia?

Are they still Satan's reincarante?

Last edited by SgtCaboose; 13th June 2014 at 6:51 PM.
SgtCaboose is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th July 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
hotmx83
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i say you put something along the lines of mass murdering people and see what it comes back as
hotmx83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Pugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtCaboose View Post

What is involved in the (legal) purchasing of weapons, I am aware you require a license.

I actually have the forms, but I stopped on the 'use' section, becuase my use would be shooting crap on my property (trees etc.) and I figure that's illegal.

I'd say professional hunters / land owners/ farmers/ target shooters would have an easier time to get a firearm othe rthen domwe random who states they jsut wan to shoot crap..... tho you need to have a gun safe these days aswell I believe, not to mention if you have any crimnal convictions you are stuffed too
Pugs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 10:59 AM   #4
protecon

Quote:

What is involved in the (legal) purchasing of weapons, I am aware you require a license.

I actually have the forms, but I stopped on the 'use' section, becuase my use would be shooting crap on my property (trees etc.) and I figure that's illegal.
Guns are tools, not toys.
If you want to experience different weapons, join a shooting club and use them in a controlled environment (plus some ranges allow you to store your weapons there).
protecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Merudo

If you have a property, under use put that you wish to use it for pest control on your farm/property, and target shooting. Join a club, and go to a range every now and then too. It's a lot of fun...
Old 13th July 2009, 11:10 AM   #6
budzilla

According to your pprofile you live in QLD so I would check out this website.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/
Old 13th July 2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Rass

Quote:

Yes, guns are pure evil.

to purchase a firearm in QLD, you need a QLD Weapons Act License and a permit to aquire.

To get a firearms license, you need a "legitimate" reason and to have completed an approved safety course within the last six months.

Generally, legitimate reasons are :
Sports shooting - competition shooting / target shooting (join an organisation such as SSAA)
Recreational shooting - hunting

If you are a primary producer, you may be eligable for a primary production license if you have a pretty severe vermin problem which you cannot solve via baiting or another method.

Once you have your license, you then need to apply for a permit to aquire for a specific firearm (ie put a deposit down on one, get the serial number and license holder's details). your initial PTA will take 28 or so days to process.

Once you get your PTA, you can then get the firearm transferred to your license.

yay.

check out the following:

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/program...ensing/obtain/
http://www.ssaaqld.org.au/Contents.htm
Rass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 11:58 AM   #8
5days

If you want to shoot for leisure some states require you to be a member of a shooting association or club. Go to a local shooting range and join up, they will give you all the assistance you need.
5days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 12:00 PM   #9
MiloVasic

I listed mine as "Vermin Control"
Foxes/snakes to protect livestock and persons.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Alper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloVasic View Post
I listed mine as "Vermin Control"
Foxes/snakes to protect livestock and persons.
+1 for this

just call the DSE and get a permit to hunt vermin in australia. it cvosts like $13 and it comes in the mail, you attach that to your application and you're done.

there are no requirments to get one either, very easy!
Old 13th July 2009, 12:21 PM   #11
SgtCaboose Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by protecon View Post
Guns are tools, not toys.
That's like saying cars are tools, not toys.

I want to purchase a weapon becasue my 'local' range is over an hours drive away. And I am not driving an hour for something I could do in my own residence.

Besides, shooting clubs cost shitloads. I have been to many, here and overseas, and they all overcharge heavily compared to owning/operating a weapon yourself.

Before I get "BUT THEY HAVE TO LICENCE AND SAFTETY AND OMFGZZZZZZ" stfu, it costs way more than is reasonable, I am sure they aren't making a huge profit, but it still costs too much.

As for licensing, I could easily say it is for 'vermin'. I have a few rats around in the winter and I am on over 30 acres. Thanks for the info
Old 13th July 2009, 12:52 PM   #12
Merudo

reading this thread

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=796013

I'm guessing you're not the actual land owner of this "property" so....

You'll have to get permission from the land owner to show as well when applying for your licence too.
Old 13th July 2009, 1:11 PM   #13
Kevlarman

Back in the States, I used to do something called IPSC.

Is it possible to get something like a 9mm CZ75 with 10-round magazines in NSW?

I'd like to take the sport up again.
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z | i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | HX620W | M500 960GB | M4 256GB | M4 128GB | 7K3000 2TB | GTX 780 Ti OC | Dell U3011 | SilverStone TJ08-E | IBM Model M | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Canon 7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF-S 17-85 | EF-S 10-22 | EF 50 | EF 70-200 f/4L IS | Sigma 105mm Macro
Kevlarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 1:37 PM   #14
skeletorlolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlarman View Post
Back in the States, I used to do something called IPSC.

Is it possible to get something like a 9mm CZ75 with 10-round magazines in NSW?

I'd like to take the sport up again.
9mm is legal since it's less than .38 and 10 round mags are the limit for civilians here so you shouldn't have a problem getting one of those guns.

There is a lot of paper work involved in getting a firearm permit. It's way more than filling out a form and getting a gun. You can have vermin control as a legit reason, but there is a chance you might get denied depending on your situation. The best way would be to sign up at a shooting club. They give you all the forms you need, and you won't get denied a permit to aquire if you are a member of the club. Note that some clubs require you to attend a certain amount of sessions before they give you the forms for the permit to aquire, so it can take a couple of months from signing up to a club and actually owning a gun.

If you want a handgun, a shooting club is really the only way since you need to do a firearms safety session, well at least here in NSW. Shooting clubs aren't that expensive, most are around 100 something a year so I recommend finding one and joining.

Also when you finally get your permit to acquire, you need to get a gun safe. You have to bolt the safe to the wall so you might want to check on that if you are renting. You gotta get a cop to inspect it as well, so you're not gonna get away with not having a safe.
Old 13th July 2009, 1:39 PM   #15
Sebstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5days View Post
If you want to shoot for leisure some states require you to be a member of a shooting association or club. Go to a local shooting range and join up, they will give you all the assistance you need.
Unfortunately the last time I looked it cost like $400-500 a year membership for one of the ranges here in Melbourne. That's 10x the cost of my gun club membership in Austria. Not to mention joining the gun club doesn't give you access to the guns you actually want to shoot. Fuck paying $500 a year to shoot some shitty revolver. Not to mention the 6mth+ wait from signing up to gun club to being allowed to own a gun.

OP: need to look up your specific state laws but I could imagine if you live on a farm/big property, you'd just need to cite pest control (foxes, possums) as a reason for the gun. Not sure if you need a gunsmith licence and locker as well though.