Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th September 2009, 11:27 AM   #31
Nick the Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewKleer View Post
sounds like you have same issue as someone in newbie lounge (i think it was), see if anyones responded to that

if u have a spare video card, try that. or atitool or other video benchmarks that arent those games
I think that 'newbie' was me - stumbled on this thread well after posting that.

I was just very surprised that folks were overclocking and having no problems with their onboard GPU at all - appears it was just me.

I'll run ATI Tool on it and see if that shows any problems - good idea.

:-)

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th September 2009, 12:20 PM   #32
Nick the Knife

Okay put it back to 2.7ghz OC (9x300) at auto vcore - memory was set to 2.66 setting - whatever that means so that it showed the system memory running at 800mhz....dunno about that. As soon as I changed the FSB to 300 it changed the memory settings to 1200 - and that sounded too much - so manually changed them down as its only cheapo 800mhz ram in the system.

Left the PCI clock at AUTO.

So then ran ATI tool - upon running aritfact scanning it immediately crashed the system 3 times in a row.

Put it back to stock settings and it ran perfectly fine for over 10 mins straight now.

SO I'm again confused.....is this just a case of me not being able to OC this motherboard - but others are easily overclocking and not having any problems at all.

Any ideas welcomed.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:23 PM   #33
NewKleer

Quote:
if u have a spare video card, try that.
really the only way to prove one way or the other
Old 7th September 2009, 1:02 PM   #34
Nick the Knife

Red face

Quote:
really the only way to prove one way or the other
OK - well I've got one. So if i install that and the games run fine what does that actually prove? I mean its clearly to do with the onboard GPU in some way - but I'm more looking for a solution rather than just proving, it is the onboard when the system is oc'd.

Is cool - the board i have must have a fault with some part of its onboard but I'll just leave it at stock then.....I can't be arsed RMAing it - not hat I even could as the problem only appears when oc'd.

:-/
Old 7th September 2009, 1:13 PM   #35
NewKleer

itd prove the onboard cant run games (or similar high load things probably, maybe decoding things or what have you) while overclocked, at least on your setup.

you might find it still happens, could be related to something else. i know i had issues with onboard sound and lan which didnt work/caused problems at high overclocks in other motherboards.

cant fix something if you dont know what it is thats the cause

you're overclocking the board. you cant claim there is a fault with the board if as you said, its only a problem when overclocked. what you could probably do is contact gigabyte, tell them how renowned they are for overclockers, and ask if they can look into onboard video problems when overclocked or whatever, they may be able to fix it via bios or similar, who knows.

but you cant do any of that if you're not prepared to actually find out the cause...kinda makes posting here pointless
Old 7th September 2009, 6:43 PM   #36
Kelvin Thread Starter

Its probably the common overclocking problems.. with the gigabyte micro ATX series...

The previous model G31m-S2l (version 1.1) could only overclock from 200 --> 289FSB before the onboard would start to fail.. or about 45% (the older G31m-S2l. could go a little further or around 333 - 345)...

If yoou should a cpu with a faster FSB.. you could go much higher..

a 266fsb cpu like a E7200.. wuld get to around FSB 386.. before the onbaord would start having problems...

An "external" video card would would the problems...

Unfortunately.. these cheap boards do not have an option to force the FSB of CPU to a different values..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Knife View Post
OK - well I've got one. So if i install that and the games run fine what does that actually prove? I mean its clearly to do with the onboard GPU in some way - but I'm more looking for a solution rather than just proving, it is the onboard when the system is oc'd.

Is cool - the board i have must have a fault with some part of its onboard but I'll just leave it at stock then.....I can't be arsed RMAing it - not hat I even could as the problem only appears when oc'd.

:-/
Kelvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 6:50 PM   #37
NewKleer

and i dont think bsel mod works on the gigabytes in general?
Old 7th September 2009, 8:59 PM   #38
Nick the Knife

Thanks for the reply Kelvin - much appreciated. :-)
Old 10th September 2009, 5:52 PM   #39
Kelvin Thread Starter

Quote:
and i dont think bsel mod works on the gigabytes in general?
Strangely enough my bsel modded e5200 worked in the G41m-s2l.. but did not enable any further multiplier.. despite defaulting to a FSB of 266

I did not test whether it enabled any further overclocking though...
Kelvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 1:48 PM   #40
oohms

I got one of these boards to pair up with an e7200. Unfortunately it seems to have a hard fsb wall at exactly 344mhz.

343 posts and memtest/primes ok, but 344 causes it to revert back to stock, and setting 344 or higher in setFSB causes the whole thing to lock up
(but setting to lower fsb works of course)

Later on i might try the BSEL mod on the cpu, and change a few bios options around, but this puzzles me a lot.

Edit: After some research, it seems that this is a hard chipset limitation. Nobody has been able to get more than 345mhz from a G41.. that's also why they dropped the "1600fsb supported" stickers on the box.

Last edited by oohms; 30th September 2009 at 9:17 AM.
oohms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 8:16 AM   #41
NewKleer

well i guess its better being a hard limitation, in that we can be a bit more confident that it might work ok at like 340...as opposed to if it was dying at 344 cause it just couldnt handle it.
Old 22nd October 2009, 3:09 AM   #42
spyder0069

I've been working with this board for the last day with a e-2140 and a nvidia 8500gt PCI-E card to disable the onboard. I wish this board had voltage controls for the MCH because the FSB overclocking suffers. The e-2140 has a multiplier of 8 so I need the FSB to really bump it up. This same processor I have had on a high end gigabyte p45 board as well as an Abit p35 and could achieve 2950 to 3 Ghz as the max for this chip. On this board I can't push the fsb much past 360 without pouring on voltage. 350mhz seems to be where my board really performs best and there is a trick to even getting it to post at 350. You need to set the PCI-E clock to 103mhz instead of 100mhz. Its something I've had to do with other boards occasionaly as well when I hit a fsb wall. I think the dividers in the bios are wrong too. Because when I set mine to 266 in the bios it was reported at 1:1 in cpu-z. I was thinking it would have to be set to 200 (which isn't an option) to get 1:1 but maybe I am thinking wrong. Anyway, I am using a set of G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ ddr2 1000 sticks in it for 4GB and running vista64 and I set the divider in the bios to 333 and cpu-z reports my ram is running 4:5 at 437.5mhz. This wasn't stable until I manually set the trc to 52. Right now I am prime stable at 2.8ghz @ 1.3V with temps around 65c under load on a stock intel cooler. This is just an extra media center machine I threw together for fun so it didn't have to win any records. I think with a cheap e2180 or higher with (anything with a higher multi) it would be a great budget OC board. Maybe in a later bios gigabyte will give us the mch voltage so that I can push the fsb a little more.

P.S. The dividers in the bios situation may be confused because my e2140 is bsel modded to 266.
spyder0069 is offline   Reply With Quote