Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th March 2012, 9:22 PM   #406
Stevros

http://www.teamquitter.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=27150

This is a pretty good critical analysis of the game, confirms alot of the stuff i was worried about plus adds some stuff. Im not a fan of the targeting system, i played another mmo (spellborne or something?) that had it and it was so tedious.

Really makes me want a beta invite to see if i will like the game or not. Im an absolutely massive Guild Wars fan. But im hearing more and more that its the hardcore GW fans that hate it and the new people coming to the table that love it.
Steam: Steve84__84
PSN : Steve848484
Stevros is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th March 2012, 10:39 PM   #407
Pinkeh

Shrug reading too much into it. Just play it when it arrives. Probably just going with the standard edition. i dont see a point of the digital deluxe edition. A mini pet and an elite skill is not worth $20 extra.

Last edited by Pinkeh; 15th March 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Pinkeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 9:32 AM   #408
moist.au
(Banned or Deleted)

Awesome Stevros thanks for that link, cleared a lot up for me as well.

Needless to say I think several of those issues will be rectified come release... Some things I am hoping for I haven't been able to find info on... Those things are:

Camera - must be able to unlock camera so you can properly strafe and look around without it reverting back to the default view when you release RMB.

Fluidity/Animations - all looks pretty solid with the youtube vids, but sometimes they can be deceiving - for example SWTOR combat looked decent in vids but come live, I hated it. It felt extremely sluggish. The delay when you pushed your hotkeys was so incredibly noticeable... Even after they apparently 'patched' it.

With regard to the conquest only PVP - I reckon that will change, more will be added. If they really want this to become an e-sport level game, they'll need to add arena-style gameplay. No one wants to play large scale PVP as an e-sport, far too much effort to organise. I'd love to see 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and 10v10 arenas honestly. Here's hoping!
moist.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 10:12 AM   #409
Stevros

Quote:
Originally Posted by moist.au View Post

With regard to the conquest only PVP - I reckon that will change, more will be added. If they really want this to become an e-sport level game, they'll need to add arena-style gameplay. No one wants to play large scale PVP as an e-sport, far too much effort to organise. I'd love to see 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and 10v10 arenas honestly. Here's hoping!
Yeah i think stuff will be added too. It seriously flawed me when i read that conquest was the only mode outside of large pvp battles.

I really dont think this game will ever be e-sport level, they have definitely made more effort with pve. I think pve will be quite good though, only time will tell.
Old 16th March 2012, 10:44 AM   #410
moist.au
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevros View Post
Yeah i think stuff will be added too. It seriously flawed me when i read that conquest was the only mode outside of large pvp battles.

I really dont think this game will ever be e-sport level, they have definitely made more effort with pve. I think pve will be quite good though, only time will tell.
They have been quoted saying they are designing to attract the e-sport crowd. The gameplay certainly looks like it could compete - ie. it looks fluid and fun to play, the only thing they will need to nail though are the game modes, needs to be more than conquest that's for sure... As well as other things like sponsorships, big prize pools etc.

Still, it's definitely on my to buy list, haven't touched WoW in so long I'm after a game that can sponge up a bit of my spare time
moist.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 11:55 AM   #411
lazjen

Quote:
Somethings have changed since that piece, so be cautious about what you "learn" from it.
lazjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 2:39 PM   #412
xChaoS69x

For those of you wondering. I saw EBgames offer GW2 collectors for $198 includes everything the other countries get in their collectors.

Probably will get it through them (layby option etc).
xChaoS69x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 7:12 PM   #413
Metora

Debaiting doing the same thing, or waiting for the Digital Deluxe Edition. $100 cheaper, and only missing out on the box and statue tbh.
Metora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 7:24 PM   #414
Stevros

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Somethings have changed since that piece, so be cautious about what you "learn" from it.
Well thats good news, what stuff are you referring too?
Old 16th March 2012, 7:54 PM   #415
kieranluken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metora View Post
Debaiting doing the same thing, or waiting for the Digital Deluxe Edition. $100 cheaper, and only missing out on the box and statue tbh.
Will definitely be only getting the digital deluxe version... Don't need any more crap lying round
If not, what's stopping me saying something like this... "Madengineer sold me a Geforce GTX 890 for $2000, but he actually shipped me a small turkey! He also threatened to eat my dog if I went to the police about it! To keep other OCAU members safe, I'm requesting a permanent ban." Clearly everyone could do this to everyone else, and soon OCAU would be a lonely place.
kieranluken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 9:53 PM   #416
lazjen

Quote:
Well thats good news, what stuff are you referring too?
A fair amount is opinion to start with, so I can't really counter it, however "#1 – Monotonous Skill Design" - was written before the recent trait reveal - from what I've seen just playing around with the build tools show that the skills can vary quite a bit beyond your weapon choice(s). It doesn't mean you'll necessarily use them all, but the trait options are there to make some significant changes and variety.

Also, unless I've misread he has some claims about the lack of positioning in skills - again from memory I believe there are skills that have varying effect based on position (Ranger and Thief spring to mind).

An example of opinions that might be incorrect or outdated: "#5 – You Fight the Controls" - for the author this might be a problem, plus we don't know the full range of UI controls and modifications/customisation possible. The recent beta images showed quite a number of UI options but I can't recall if they were relevant.

Contrary to what he writes in "#7 – Choices are Problems", I think that his viewpoint is too limited for his "objectivity" and that the belief that 1 size fits all solutions will be determined and prescribed (based on an optimum solution). For example, while you can make your build a particular way, just adding another player to your team can expand your options further with cross-combo skills (besides the many other elements another player brings).

"#9 – It’s Not Guild Wars!" - example of opinion and pretty irrelevant for GW2.

"#3 – There’s an Absence of Cues" - I bet this is just unfamiliarity - if you spend time learning the game, professions and skills, you'll start picking up different cues to distinguish things. Just not like in other games - oh he's wearing heavy armor, therefore he's the tank, etc. If you watched the recent Jon Peters MMORPG interview, you hear a bit about where he talks with messing around with other players expectations of his character (I presume they're tester players or something - again those with limited familiarity of the game, but probably drawing on "history" from other MMOs).

"#2 – Illegible Combat" has been mentioned recently and ANet has expilicity mentioned looking into it more.

Note that in just about all his points (except maybe #9) there are some valid concerns and issues. Until I get to play the game, I won't be able to know for sure if they're major/minor/non issues for me.

Btw, most of the above is conjecture on my part as I've yet to play the game of course, so I could be wildly wrong.
Old 17th March 2012, 4:37 AM   #417
Mr Blue

The QQ article was meant to be a critical look at the potential problems for PvP in GW2, and I think it did a good job and made a few points that will need to be addressed in GW2. Does it mean GW2 will suck, no of course not, but it isn't perfect, not yet...

The article was written about a game that is still in closed beta, and before the last big update (Traits) so some of the needed changes have already happened.

Really we just have to wait and see when we get a chance to play for ourselves, but I think the author had some valid points regarding Cues and Illegible Combat.

Personally I'm waiting to see how the new movement and targeting handles... no more click to move and micro stepping changes the game play considerably.

As for fighting the controls... thankfully I do have a Naga ready to roll
Mr Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 6:49 AM   #418
Stevros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue View Post

Personally I'm waiting to see how the new movement and targeting handles... no more click to move and micro stepping changes the game play considerably.

Yeah im very interested in this also, im fairly negative about it at the moment, i guess its all just because in regards to guild wars, im a pvp nut, the only thing that kept me going in GW1 was the pvp and gw2 is such a drastic change that its freaking me out. I think the mmo that i played that had a similar sounding targeting system was "chronicles of spellborn" and it was just a pain in the ass really.
Old 17th March 2012, 11:01 AM   #419
lazjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue View Post

I've never really been able to train myself to use too many extra features on a mouse - it gets used for the basics (selection, menus, etc) + camera control mostly. I'm not actually sure why, since it's just another input device. Maybe it's the extra thought required in remembering and selecting which button does what. I can barely remember the keyboard controls sometimes.

As for click to move, I don't use it and actually remember switching that off in GW. I haven't used it elsewhere (dislike some aspects of it) and have gotten used to using the keyboard to move, although at times it's a bit painful when you're trying to move and have activated a skill (that locks you in place while casting).
Old 17th March 2012, 3:21 PM   #420
Stevros

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
I've never really been able to train myself to use too many extra features on a mouse - it gets used for the basics (selection, menus, etc) + camera control mostly. I'm not actually sure why, since it's just another input device. Maybe it's the extra thought required in remembering and selecting which button does what. I can barely remember the keyboard controls sometimes.

As for click to move, I don't use it and actually remember switching that off in GW. I haven't used it elsewhere (dislike some aspects of it) and have gotten used to using the keyboard to move, although at times it's a bit painful when you're trying to move and have activated a skill (that locks you in place while casting).
Yeah ive always used the keyboard to move in guildwars, you cant really be successful by using click to move in pvp because you cant bodyblock, kite as effectively and dodge arrows or lightning orbs.

Im quite interested to see what role the mesmer will play now that the classes arent as defined and there is no dedicated healer.

Im pretty sure there were emails sent around today that have something to do with the beta....cough cough......

Last edited by Stevros; 17th March 2012 at 4:16 PM.