Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 29th August 2009, 6:45 PM   #1
walker_2003 Thread Starter

Default Netgear Wireless Router Problems + Transact Cable

I currently get my internet via Transact Cable which from the wall connects to a Marconi VDSL modem. It requires a PPPoE connection.

I bought a Netgear WPN284v3 Wireless router.

Out of the box it was crappy, with pages not working sometimes on the interface. But I managed to get both the internet and wireless connections working. (with the orange 'Tick' on the router showing all is well) Then out of nowhere it no longer connects to the internet (not an internet provider issue as a manual PPPoE connection works) No orange tick!

I tried a firmware update which was successful and now navigation etc is better but no internet connection.

Windows detects the network as a 'Local Only' setup.

Weird thing is the router detects an IP and everything from the ISP but then fails to actually deliver the service to me? Screenshot below shows my ISP and everything but no pages or anything works?? Faulty Router?

I did want a billion/linksys I should have waited!

I am now running windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit all updated.

Cheers

Last edited by walker_2003; 8th September 2009 at 8:50 PM.
walker_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 29th August 2009, 8:23 PM   #2

humm a winsock reset fixed it..

Wondering if maybe my marconi VDSL modem has same gateway as router..

Can i just edit routers default gateway to something else?

is currently: 192.168.0.1
Old 31st August 2009, 6:43 AM   #3
LostBenji

So let me get this straight, You have a DSL connection, not cable. You have a modem (with built-in firewall/NAT) and now have another firewall/router behind it?
Internet forums are like a Big, Fresh, Hot & Steaming turd. You will get plenty of Flies hanging around all trying to get and add their little Bits but you may find the a*s*hole who created it hanging around also otherwise they may have "Dumped-n-Run" after not liking the responses.
If you ask a question in a thread but fail to supply ALL relevant info and only supply peanuts, then all you will get is Monkey's.
LostBenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 9:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBenji View Post
So let me get this straight, You have a DSL connection, not cable. You have a modem (with built-in firewall/NAT) and now have another firewall/router behind it?
wrong I have Cable (fibre-optic line) which uses whats called a VDSL (not ADSL) Modem with 0 settings or firewalls, its just a pure modem.

I then route it with router
Old 2nd September 2009, 9:51 PM   #5
LostBenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker_2003 View Post
wrong I have Cable (fibre-optic line) which uses whats called a VDSL (not ADSL) Modem with 0 settings or firewalls, its just a pure modem.

I then route it with router
LOL
VDSL for dummies

Direct from your ISP

Quote:
VDSL2 is the newest and most advanced standard of digital subscriber line (DSL) developed to utilise copper wires from the VDSL2 equipment to the end customer. VDSL2 out-performs TransACT’s existing VDSL1, with increased data speeds over greater distances.
As for your lack of data, too many variables like poor config's, wrong DNS's or bad cache. If you can connect directly to your DSL modem and sure that its connected and authenticated then data should flow. If so then Netgear is doing what it does it usually does well and flounders. Yes a Linksys or Billion better bet.
Internet forums are like a Big, Fresh, Hot & Steaming turd. You will get plenty of Flies hanging around all trying to get and add their little Bits but you may find the a*s*hole who created it hanging around also otherwise they may have "Dumped-n-Run" after not liking the responses.
If you ask a question in a thread but fail to supply ALL relevant info and only supply peanuts, then all you will get is Monkey's.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBenji View Post
LOL
VDSL for dummies

Direct from your ISP

As for your lack of data, too many variables like poor config's, wrong DNS's or bad cache. If you can connect directly to your DSL modem and sure that its connected and authenticated then data should flow. If so then Netgear is doing what it does it usually does well and flounders. Yes a Linksys or Billion better bet.
I am not on a VDSL2 service, I am on a fibre optic CABLE service. The modem however according to the techy is a VDSL modem, obviously not lol
Old 3rd September 2009, 6:33 AM   #7
LostBenji

LOL, who knows what they are throwing up the fibre. Ok, so you have fibre to the house ?
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardwa...w&model_id=472
That looks like it maybe the modem you have. Try connecting to it and see what happens. The bugger may not support DHCP properly and may need you to power cycle it and/or manually set you NIC details. From here, see if you get data flow, if not then your going to need the Transact techs to check the modem config (remotely managed) and see what happens. If you do get data then it's a simple case of the netgear being ordinary (netgear is just that, ordinary) and most likely missing a setting or just plain not going to work. Manual settings maybe required.