Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st October 2009, 2:12 PM   #1
tonycfc Thread Starter

Default Porting Optus' number to Telstra?

Hi, my friend is using Optus' home phone and he wants to move to Telstra's HomeLine Complete plan...

so is it possible to port Optus' number to Telstra?

do i organize this with Telstra or Optus?

how long does it usually take?

any extra cost for porting the number over?

thanks for your help!
tonycfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st October 2009, 9:31 PM   #2
caspian

yes, it's possible. you do it by contacting Telstra and they arrange the port for you. I have no idea re time, but i would guess anything up to a couple of weeks - carriers are hardly likely to put porting of numbers for customers they are losing high on their list of things to do. there should be no charge for the port itself, but confirm with the sales person you are speaking to.
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 10:22 PM   #3
tonycfc Thread Starter

thank you! from what i understand and want to do is...

firstly, order a new homephone plan from telstra with pstn number "02 9999 8888" (or a random number)... then activate TPG ADSL2+ using this new pstn number... so i can surf the net...

secondly... porting the optus number "02 9999 7777" to telstra... during this time (as you said, it might take a few weeks) i still have internet access until the porting is done... when it is done... my home phone will be the optus number and i can get telstra to remove the "02 9999 8888" from my address...

lastly, i need to tell TPG about my new pstn number so they can move the service from the "old number" to the "new number"... otherwise will have no internet....

is this gonna work/possible too? sorry, hope it makes sense thanks
Old 21st October 2009, 10:52 PM   #4
caspian

pretty much right, the ADSL change-of-number stuff is unfortunate but while as a society we persist with having landline phones, all services attached to a landline are associated with the FNN - so changing it involves leaping through a few hoops.

*if* Optus release the number in a timely manner you could have the new Telstra line connected with it from the beginning, which would make the whole process a lot less pestiferous.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:24 PM   #5
tonycfc Thread Starter

no worries! thanks
Old 21st October 2009, 11:44 PM   #6
BuuBox

Optus to Telstra landline (keeping the same #) is difficult (if not impossible). Expect it to take a month or so, although it may be quicker.
BuuBox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 8:07 AM   #7
bugayev
Whammy!

If you are on Optus cable rather than Telstra (IE not Optus has not resold the telstra cable) then you can't do it, I've tried. Telstra do not have access to those numbers and vice-versa.
bugayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 8:37 AM   #8
Breeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
Optus to Telstra landline (keeping the same #) is difficult (if not impossible). Expect it to take a month or so, although it may be quicker.
I've been trying to go through this process for months now; basically after talking with Telstra at a T-life store they claimed that it was going to be undertaken and that all would go well just to give it a month.

A month went by and I received no word form Telstra (your first bill from them is your confirmation), but I received a letter from Optus telling me if I re-signed with them that I'd be able to get a better offer - I took this as a sign that I was on Telstra, so I went to organise ADSL on the line and all was going well, until I was rejected.

Long story short I went to speak to a different Telstra store to find out what was happening with my phone and the request to be changed was never put in in the first place.

So I'm still trying to get my phone switched, but best of luck to you.

Cheers,

-Breeny
The correct answer is: No. OCAU cannot count to 20 using pictures. We dick about getting to 10, magically decide to reverse the count back to 0, and then start posting pictures of the cast of Blossom in lingerie.
Breeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 9:08 AM   #9
tonycfc Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugayev View Post
If you are on Optus cable rather than Telstra (IE not Optus has not resold the telstra cable) then you can't do it
yes, my friend is using optus cable and optus home phone... so is that mean i cant port the number?

it is really confusing me and my friend as some people saying "yes, no problem, and it only takes about 1 month"... and some people said "maybe not possible..."

my friend has contacted Telstra and they said "yes we can port the optus number to your new telstra plan and your current address..."...

Old 22nd October 2009, 11:36 AM   #10
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugayev View Post
If you are on Optus cable rather than Telstra (IE not Optus has not resold the telstra cable) then you can't do it, I've tried. Telstra do not have access to those numbers and vice-versa.
number porting is a legislated right. I suspect the issue is more a won't than a can't.
Old 22nd October 2009, 1:32 PM   #11
kbekus

certain numbers, such as those issued to Optus Cable phones, 'cannot' be ported to the copper network. I tried also, and found it was not possible. Seems they've been put 'outside the pool' of numbers that can be ported.
kbekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 1:53 PM   #12
tonycfc Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbekus View Post
certain numbers, such as those issued to Optus Cable phones, 'cannot' be ported to the copper network.
my friend is using optus phone + cable internet, so is that mean he is using optus cable phone?
Old 23rd October 2009, 9:02 AM   #13
tonycfc Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbekus View Post
certain numbers, such as those issued to Optus Cable phones, 'cannot' be ported to the copper network. I tried also, and found it was not possible. Seems they've been put 'outside the pool' of numbers that can be ported.
my friend is using the cable modem + phone bundle plan... $99 or $90 per month... can anyone tell me if he is using "cable phone" ?? he doesnt know anything about it... thanks
Old 27th October 2009, 9:29 PM   #14
kbekus

I can't tell for certain, but if his Internet link is delivered by cable, it's likely (very likely) his telephone is delivered by the same hybrid fibre network.
kbekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 11:11 PM   #15
caspian

there's no guarantee of this, it's difficult to tell the difference between a Telstra PSTN connection rebilled by Optus and an Optus HFC voice connection without knowing a little about it.

easiest way is to try some of the unique carrier test codes from http://www.accesscomms.com.au/reference/testnumb.htm - the ones that work and the ones that don't should tell you quickly which you have.