Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 1st November 2009, 6:40 PM   #1
Un_OC Thread Starter

Default Bigpond + Windows 7 = email client conundrum

I recently built a comp for my parents. It went ok. Windows 7 installed fine, I got office on it, set up all the other programs fine.
Just a couple of problems, one was the lack of a movie editor, a feature that had bee taken away and secondly the ack of email.

The email is why i end up here. I ended up getting windows livemail, as it hit my brain first and it is free, and small, and easy to use.

Only problem is that my parents use Bigpond for thei email (i.e. notgoingtoposttherealaddressontheint...gpond. net.au).

I, having used gmail, hotmail etc personally, I'm not too sure on how to work with these emails. I tried adding the settings but it keeps giving me a generic can't do it answer. After searching http://www.google.com/search?q=windo...x=&startPage=1 and getting no answers, I haev turned to the might of the OCAU comunity to solve this conundrum.

Using either Windows Live mail or outlook (pref the earlier), what settings must one enter to be able to recieve bigpond email on their computer?
Desktop - 965P-DS3 | e6320 | 2GB PC6400 A-DATA | Asus 7900GS | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | ASUS DVD burner lightscribe | CM Extreme 430w | 22" Chimei Widescreen LCD | Logitech MX Revolution | G11 | Logitech X-230 2.1 speakers | Vista Home Premium
Un_OC is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st November 2009, 6:57 PM   #2
CAPT-Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un_OC View Post
I recently built a comp for my parents. It went ok. Windows 7 installed fine, I got office on it, set up all the other programs fine.
Just a couple of problems, one was the lack of a movie editor, a feature that had bee taken away and secondly the ack of email.

The email is why i end up here. I ended up getting windows livemail, as it hit my brain first and it is free, and small, and easy to use.

Only problem is that my parents use Bigpond for thei email (i.e. notgoingtoposttherealaddressontheint...gpond. net.au).

I, having used gmail, hotmail etc personally, I'm not too sure on how to work with these emails. I tried adding the settings but it keeps giving me a generic can't do it answer. After searching http://www.google.com/search?q=windo...x=&startPage=1 and getting no answers, I haev turned to the might of the OCAU comunity to solve this conundrum.

Using either Windows Live mail or outlook (pref the earlier), what settings must one enter to be able to recieve bigpond email on their computer?
Movie Maker and Mail come with the live essentials package which also comes with msn/live messenger. This has been acknowledged for months, you make it seem as if you've only just noticed >_>

Regardless of whether you're going to use mail or outlook, you'll need bigpond's pop3 and smtp settings.
FALADIS - P6T-SE | i7 920 + Zalman CNPS 10X | 8GB XMS3 C8 | Sapphire 5870 1GB | Seagate 7200.12 500GB + 1TB | FT01 | CoolerMaster 1000W | LG BH12LS38 | G15 (v2) | W7 x64 Ultimate | Creative I-Trigue 3400
PHYRAXUS - DP67DE | i3 2100 | 2GB XMS3 C9 | EVGA GT430 1GB | Samsung F4EG HD204UI 2TB x4 | PC-V354B | OCZ Fatal1y 550W | Fedora 15 x64 + 4TB MDRAID5
ASICUS - ASUS N53SV (W8 x64 Ultimate) | HYPHAERION - HP Compaq 2510p (Fedora 17 x64)

Last edited by CAPT-Irrelevant; 1st November 2009 at 6:59 PM.
CAPT-Irrelevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 7:04 PM   #3
Un_OC Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT-Irrelevant View Post
Movie Maker and Mail come with the live essentials package which also comes with msn/live messenger. This has been acknowledged for months, you make it seem as if you've only just noticed >_>

Regardless of whether you're going to use mail or outlook, you'll need bigpond's pop3 and smtp settings.
I did just notice. I haven't been following windows 7. I use vista.

Does anyone know the settings. I thought they were mail.bigpond.com and mail.bigpond.com
Desktop - 965P-DS3 | e6320 | 2GB PC6400 A-DATA | Asus 7900GS | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | ASUS DVD burner lightscribe | CM Extreme 430w | 22" Chimei Widescreen LCD | Logitech MX Revolution | G11 | Logitech X-230 2.1 speakers | Vista Home Premium
Old 1st November 2009, 7:51 PM   #4
TheWedgie

bigpond.com, Help, Bigpond's email settings

12 keystrokes, two clicks.
Biggest mistake people make is missing the @bigpond.net.au or @bigpond.com on the end of the username.

Also, I fixed your typo in the thread title
TheWedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 8:10 PM   #5
Un_OC Thread Starter

aha, thanks so much.

I have all that done correctly.

Incoming (POP3) mail server: mail.bigpond.com

Outgoing (SMTP) mail server: mail.bigpond.com

Username: Your full BigPond email address (e.g. username@bigpond.net.au or username@bigpond.com)

Password: Your email password

Secure Password Authentication (SPA) should be unselected or unticked, if you're asked.

Maybe because it's a @bigpond.net.au as opposed to the @bigpond.co,m their different? I have tried change com to net.au, but still nothing.

Thanks, any other suggestions?
Old 1st November 2009, 8:25 PM   #6
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

I can confirm a cable internet connection here, using the @bigpond.net.au address and using the above settings (mail.bigpond.com for incoming and outgoing) absolutely fine.
abbott on the NBN: "We're not against using the internet, errr, for all these things, ah but do we really want to invest $50billion dollars of hard earned tax payers money on what is essentially a video entertainment system."
| Co2 is weightless apparently
MR CHILLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 8:30 PM   #7
TheWedgie

Do you get any kind of error?
Can you log in to webmail ok?
TheWedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 8:46 PM   #8
Un_OC Thread Starter

Yeah.
Webmail has ok.

And it is now working.

I'm not quite sure how I fixed it though. I ended up changing teh username from username@bigpond.net.au to just username. ANd thentried to sync. When it failed I type username@bigpond.net.au into the username box and it worked.

For some reason the username field that appeared when I clicked sync needed to be @bigpond.net.au while in account settings it was just username.

how very odd.

Thanks for all the advice.

Next problem. Which may be a bit harder. The reason for the change of computer is that the old is broken, and being a factory comp it doesn't have standard parts and can't be replaced. The HDD is fine. And so i'm wondering weather I can tkae the address book from Outlook Express (and maybe any saved emails) and put them into Windows live mail.

Outlook express files are obviously sitting their in the old computer. Ill take the HDD out and put it in the new tomorrow to take the data off. Yes, the HDD is a normal HDD. Unlike the motherboard which is broken. And the computer ran XP home if that makes a difference.

New is obviously windows live mail on 7.

Thanks, it would really make a difference to my parents. And while I can put a comp together, I have never really used anything other than webmail.